Powered by Outside

When should a builder just Stop building?

PB Forum :: Trail Building
When should a builder just Stop building?
Posted: Jul 31, 2008 at 19:27 Quote
wow i have read this whole thread from start to finsh and I would say dont fix any thing at all just ride the trails once the get wrecked enough stop riding them go ride some street and come back a week or 2 weeks later and see what has happened

Posted: Aug 11, 2008 at 13:49 Quote
i moved into the woods about a mile away from my house and built a dh track in guelph i dont tell my friends my brother my parents its mine selfish yes i built it i ride it i fix it i carry my tools no one is ever going to find it which means no one is going to wreck it yea slefish maybe but so what

FL
Posted: Aug 11, 2008 at 14:27 Quote
just make it impossible for them to hit the jumps, because there used to be some good dirt jumps at a local dirt park but some kids who disrecpected the jumps or didn't no what they where doing used table tops as rollovers and now the dirt park is abandon. So i went over to the skate park and me and my brother build are own jumps which no one rides.

Posted: Aug 15, 2008 at 12:13 Quote
i take it you own the land or the landowner knows about them?if they do you can just say that there trespassing and will have to pay a fine if there caught there or make and agreement if they build and repair what they have damage then you won't mind them using the jumps

Posted: Aug 16, 2008 at 9:45 Quote
i say just peace the place and bulid some place else but keep teh new one on the DL

Posted: Aug 16, 2008 at 14:24 Quote
Man I hear that, Im already digging the new place and stoked to be starting from scratch. ******But dont tell anyone, its our little secret.******* hahaha

Posted: Sep 22, 2008 at 16:36 Quote
go find a nice little church and ask them if you can build in their back lot...thats what i have done and been building for about five months..before hand kids ruined everything i built so i got really mad and childish and went shooting out at dj's (middle of woods) and blew the f*ck out of them with my friends 12 gage, brothers 357 mag,xd45 his friends german mouser....jumps were still there (kind of) but with so many shells chilin? who the Fack whats to ride there? i have not seen anyone there since..( but its ruined)

Posted: Sep 22, 2008 at 16:44 Quote
Yeah I feel that. I have been building for about 2 and a half years and all other people seem to be able to do is wreck wreck wreck.

Posted: Sep 22, 2008 at 17:42 Quote
Ive pretty much abandoned the spot and let the little pricks ruin it. Too bad because the spot had tons of potential and Id already put in 3 years of digging. Oh well lesson learned.

Posted: Sep 22, 2008 at 19:28 Quote
mxnate wrote:
Ive pretty much abandoned the spot and let the little pricks ruin it. Too bad because the spot had tons of potential and Id already put in 3 years of digging. Oh well lesson learned.

Headed elsewhere?

Posted: Sep 22, 2008 at 20:00 Quote
mxnate wrote:
Ive been building at a spot for about 5 years or so and Id say that 90% of whats out there was built by me, usually alone. Now within the last 2 years the place has blown up and become the main local ride spot (unfortunately some of the stupidest kids alive). Theres probably 30 or 40 kids that hit up the trails on a regular basis and maybe only 2 or 3 who help dig occasionally. My point is that Im sick and tired of creating, building and maintaining trails for people who have no respect for what I do. Dont get me wrong I didnt start building for respect, I did it out of necessity and because I loved it. I just cant work my balls off building something only to have it destroyed by stupidity. Its like they all believe in the dirt jump fairy, they blow the shit out on Monday and its magically fixed on Tuesday so they can blow it out again. They take no resposibility for the trails, theres garbage everywhere, Ive tried to lay down some ground rules but its useless. Ive tried putting down the shovel in the past when I get frustrated but I always pick it up again because I love to build. Is there a way to get through to these kids (without violence) or should I just walk away and let the place go to hell. How do you not get emotionally attached as a builder to a ride spot, I take it personally every time the place gets jacked.

My advice would be to find a new secluded spot and start building there. Then after that spot is ready to be ridden, go back to the old spot and tear it up. That will teach them.

Posted: Sep 22, 2008 at 20:04 Quote
mxnate wrote:

That's unfortunate to hear but when your work isn't appreciated there really is no point in wasting your time if others are just going to take advantage of it. Best of luck if you decide to start building somewhere else.

Posted: Sep 22, 2008 at 20:19 Quote
ive started several places , and then everybody f*cks of before anythings finished . ive lost time , money and tools in trying to build jumps and shore . ive almost givin up . if yall want somthin done , ya gotta do it yuorself.... then they come and ride they every day

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 7:04 Quote
sherbet wrote:
mxnate wrote:

Headed elsewhere?

Oh yeah, new trails are solid, Ive got permission to dig on private property (family) and I couldnt be more stoked. I'll never understand why it all went to shit, all I did was ask for a little help with the place and apparently that makes me a prick. I'll take on all the digging from now on just to avoid the Aholes.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.026648
Mobile Version of Website