Powered by Outside

Little Tricks while in the shop

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Little Tricks while in the shop
Posted: May 28, 2008 at 20:14 Quote
ALWAYS check the air is out of your fork/shock before dissasembly. I fired a shock cap clear across the shop, took me half an hour to find it. Luckily I had a wrench on it, not my fingers, and it was aimed at the far end of the shop, with nothing to hit. A shop I've been to has a perfect imprint of a fork cap in the ceiling tiles from when somebody forgot to release the air. 120psi is deadly, you don't want your face in the way of it.

Posted: May 29, 2008 at 17:41 Quote
thanx alot guys got the seqatpost free!

Posted: May 29, 2008 at 18:16 Quote
blah12325 wrote:
thanx alot guys got the seqatpost free!

for future refrence for anyone who uses wd40 i have one better than wd-40

http://shop.blasterchemical.com/display.cfm?p=50003&pid=4

its just about the best penetration spray i have used it literally works on anything

Posted: May 30, 2008 at 18:07 Quote
jungo14 wrote:
I find when it comes 2 grips that sum good ole wd-40 sprayed in there works rather good.
I wouldnt use Wd-40..Suposivly it eats away the grip.

Posted: Jun 2, 2008 at 17:06 Quote
thanx guys, used wd-40, works the best in my opinion if you twist the grip, and spray a little on the handlebar aswell as the grip, worked better than cocking, or hairsprayBig Grin

Posted: Jun 3, 2008 at 14:02 Quote
tyson10 wrote:
lbobbitt513 wrote:
heres on, more for out of the shop though.

i have a ziptie around my chainstay and my fork, trimmed so that a tab is hanging off so that when i want to rotate it against the rim and use that as a reference to true it, and just rotate it out of the way when you dont need it.

Lee

great idea, thanks

i dont understand what that does ^^^^^^^^^^

FL
Posted: Jun 3, 2008 at 14:24 Quote
Air Compressor Gun:
Supply list:
-2 or 3 standard, hollow rear axles
-cone nuts to connect them together...think of making a barrel
-A few sharpened spokes
-Masking Tape
-A dry lube

Connect the axles together forming a barrel. Assuming you have a compressor head fitting with a trigger (Like most presta valve attachments), remove the very end of the head from the main presta valve fitting. Thread the axles into the end of the "gun." Take sharpened spokes and wrap the non-sharpened end with masking tape until it matches the inner diameter of the axle. Put a coating of lube on the masking tape. Insert spoke/dart into the axle, crank the PSI on the compressor up and you have a high powered dart gun. All with common shop supplies. Make a target and have a shoot off.

Posted: Jun 3, 2008 at 14:26 Quote
haha brilliant im doin that 2moz

Posted: Jun 3, 2008 at 14:32 Quote
sampatterson37 wrote:
tyson10 wrote:
lbobbitt513 wrote:
heres on, more for out of the shop though.

i have a ziptie around my chainstay and my fork, trimmed so that a tab is hanging off so that when i want to rotate it against the rim and use that as a reference to true it, and just rotate it out of the way when you dont need it.

Lee

great idea, thanks

i dont understand what that does ^^^^^^^^^^

The tab on the zip tie give you a reference point to tell if the rim is out of true. when you spin the wheel you will see it move relative to the end of the zip tie.

Like this:
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://miketechinfo.com/sm-stand-3.jpg

FL
Posted: Jun 26, 2008 at 13:13 Quote
i made myself a chainwhip by smashing flat an old pair of flat bars with a lump hammer and putting on a length of old chain joined to the bar with a split link it works perfectly and cost nothingJoker

Posted: Jun 26, 2008 at 13:16 Quote
whiterockripper wrote:
wd 40 works great bu ti have also experimented with some regular dish soap and that made the grips slid right off and when you put them back on the grips smell like a fresh lemonSmile
pam cooking spray, with the wd 40 hose thingy attached to it. shove the hose under the grip and spray and the grip basically slides off by itself

Posted: Jun 26, 2008 at 13:54 Quote
dietercarroll wrote:
i made myself a chainwhip by smashing flat an old pair of flat bars with a lump hammer and putting on a length of old chain joined to the bar with a split link it works perfectly and cost nothingJoker

guy on nsmb made one with a big ol kitchen knife and a wipperman chain Blank Stare

FL
Posted: Jun 26, 2008 at 14:04 Quote
when connectin chains get a spoke and bend it round so it looks like a C then put it inbetween the chain and the other part of the chain so u can join the it easier, sorry not a very good expalination but you might no what i mean

Posted: Jun 27, 2008 at 2:35 Quote
dietercarroll wrote:

Nice. I made my ghetto chainwhip out of a piece of wood and an old chain held on with a nail. It works though.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.039699
Mobile Version of Website