Powered by Outside

Which of the thee would be a superb choice?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Which of the thee would be a superb choice?
Posted: Mar 1, 2009 at 7:31 Quote
Whoa this thread turned into a shitstorm! And guys, who cares who has spent more money and all that, if you care what other people think, you've already passed the first step to being a poser.

Posted: Mar 1, 2009 at 7:48 Quote
to the earlier discussion over transition frames being bad quality...

you just haven't seen a banshee!

- I've seen a few Transitions at my local trails, I've checked the welding quality and design aesthetics and they all score a hell of a lot higher than the sketchy-as-hell welding and appalling paint quality on my Banshee.

Banshee's whole advertising ethic is that, some how, despite the fact their frames are made in Taiwan just like everyone else's, their frames are miles ahead of all other companies just because their designer has an engineering degreeEek Eek Eek Blank Stare Rolleyes

I would go for a Transition over the Banshee, because Banshee's seriously fail in the fabrication department, design-wise they are pretty sound though, albeit the aesthetics are a little messy looking (far to many places to pick up dirt in the tacky looking sub-components of the frame) when you look at them up-close!

Posted: Mar 1, 2009 at 9:38 Quote
-Banshee is an outdated, heavy, overpriced kona in disguise.

-Transition is last year's flavour, and though the suspension is simple, it is effective, don't believe all the hype to the contrary. I haven't seen a broken one yet. Pretty good value for the price I'd bet.

-Demo 8 is oddly becoming this year's flavor since it was announced that Sam Hill was going to ride one,hmmmmm....... (albeit not a stock one from the assembly line).... last year half the honkers on Pinkbike would swear on a stack of bibles that the Demo was "no good for racing". Go figure.

-Giant Glory is maybe the best bang for your buck World Cup capable bike off the showroom floor. It's not much of a jumper though, that's the word at the trailhead anyhow.

Every big name brand in bikes is making most of their product overseas, and for the record Giant makes lots of those frames for other companies.
Taiwan is to bicycles, as Japan is for consumer electronics, they make an awesome product if you're looking at the top end of the brands, and not the garbage in Wal-Mart. So the "Made in America argument" is complete bullshit these days. I've seen $3000 Intense frames (made in Cali) with totally misaligned BBs right out of the box.
That's why looking at warranty is important too. Giant and Transition both have very good warranty reputations as I understand it. Don't take my word though, ask the dealer tough questions before you buy.

O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2009 at 9:48 Quote
thatdownhillkid wrote:
pake wrote:
i never said anything about that. i said that there are hardly any courses worthy of going to in norcal
CHDH. google it. if you can't find anything you didn't try hard enough.
i know about CHDH. but they canceled it last year and are trying to bring it back, but i haven't heard anything about it for sure coming back. don't talk to me like i'm a tard. i know my shit

Posted: Mar 1, 2009 at 10:32 Quote
yea, i still have to give props to the transition, its a mixed feeling, but i also REALLY like the yet 303r..... its just a sick bike. if id go with that id get i thik a 10% off from my locla shop and they would strip some parts so i can get better ones.
-cranks
-headset
-stem
-bars
-cable/housing
-pedals
-saddle
-post?
-grips

O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2009 at 11:23 Quote
dh-kevin-dh wrote:
hey HBfreerider, how is the the banshee scythe, loks to be an awesome bike, what are some down sides to the bike? and how dodes it preform in Dh races?

Down sides? Price and depending on how you build it up, weight. I'm not sure how the Scythe will perform in race, it would depend on the course. If it's a super technical course then you'll probably want a 8+ travel bike. The Scythe isn't designed to be a race bike, it's a freeride bike. It's more more hucking and shore style riding.

Though I know guys that race DH on Hardtails so..

O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2009 at 11:24 Quote
how about a commencal dh supreme?

O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2009 at 11:28 Quote
shondo wrote:
-Banshee is an outdated, heavy, overpriced kona in disguise

Uh... when was the last time you looked at banshee bike? They've come a long way since the days of the Scream.

Posted: Mar 1, 2009 at 11:45 Quote
dh-kevin-dh wrote:
yea, i still have to give props to the transition, its a mixed feeling, but i also REALLY like the yet 303r..... its just a sick bike. if id go with that id get i thik a 10% off from my locla shop and they would strip some parts so i can get better ones.
-cranks
-headset
-stem
-bars
-cable/housing
-pedals
-saddle
-post?
-grips
A 303r will be good for dh but if it is anything like the 303 dh it will take a lot of maintenance. I guess what people are trying to stay is that if you really are 13 now, you are about to hit a growth spurt and could possibly outgrow a new frame now. If you have the money and want a killer race bike go with the 303r. It is a first year model though but im sure yeti's r and d are top notch. You could also look at the santa cruz driver 8 as another option for a fr and dh bike. I kinda think that people are considering demo's a good race bike because of all the sam hill hype. Transition is a small company that stands behind what they build. If you are going to race more go with a 303r. If you are going to be doing both an equal amount go with a transition or driver 8.

Posted: Mar 1, 2009 at 11:53 Quote
hey guys, i ride a large alrady, i dont think ill need to outgrow a frame, i stand a 5,11

O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2009 at 11:55 Quote
I always thought the Demo 8 was supposed to specialized race ready bike...

Posted: Mar 1, 2009 at 12:01 Quote
hdfreerider wrote:

The demo was originally supposed to be geared more toward fr with its long wheel base. It can hold its own in dh but the people that i have talked said that they didnt like it when the course would get tight and twisty. I have heard (but i dont know if it is true) that specialized will be coming out with a pure dh bike.

To the thread creator: go with the 303r or driver 8 if you are going to race more than you are going to fr. Good bikes that are meant for people who are not competing at the world cup level.

Posted: Mar 1, 2009 at 13:33 Quote
superbarnes65 wrote:
hdfreerider wrote:

The demo was originally supposed to be geared more toward fr with its long wheel base. It can hold its own in dh but the people that i have talked said that they didnt like it when the course would get tight and twisty. I have heard (but i dont know if it is true) that specialized will be coming out with a pure dh bike.

To the thread creator: go with the 303r or driver 8 if you are going to race more than you are going to fr. Good bikes that are meant for people who are not competing at the world cup level.

Um.. I'm pretty sure most freeriders want a short wheel base, and downhillers the opposite. To keep the bike planted at speed the longer the better, one of the first things Sam said about his demo is that he wanted a longer wheelbase.

Posted: Mar 1, 2009 at 17:08 Quote
its an opion for all riders, i love shorter wheel bases due to the fact i like tight whips and quick response

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018160
Mobile Version of Website