Rocky Mountain Slayer Broken Frame - Photos Updated!

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Rocky Mountain Slayer Broken Frame - Photos Updated!
FL
Posted: Jul 1, 2009 at 2:02 Quote
JamesIDK wrote:
"perfect" mr C?

Apart from the large chuck out of the chain stay and a number of large scratches, yes

Posted: Jul 1, 2009 at 3:17 Quote
Internetbiker wrote:
JamesIDK wrote:
"perfect" mr C?

Apart from the large chuck out of the chain stay and a number of large scratches, yes

indeed. Yours truely and mr w were discussing the large chunk down t pub last night! May go chick this wk.

Posted: Jul 1, 2009 at 7:27 Quote
mbjz wrote:
thrice wrote:
I´m so glad too. And the rear white swing arm looks so much better than the blue. Enjoy it.

Also, I´ve been thinking about it. I bought the bike, August 2006. It broke around November 2007. Thats 15 months. Got it back sometime in December. Broke again August 2008. Thats 8 monhts. Averaged out, thats 11.5 months. I got it back sometime in September I´m predicting the bike will break again sometime in August, give or take a couple months. Eek Shit, I´m already in the zone. I need to save some cash to buy a Giant Reign X frame.
+1! just wondering but r u thinking about buying the 2010 frame that comes out in a few months or the older style ('07-'09)

Thats a really good question. My first impulse would go with the 2010, because I feel it will take more time for it to look dated. But then again, I don´t want to be riding the first generation model. I figure its best to let others test out the kinks. So I guess, If I do buy a new frame, it will be the 07-09 model. The proven one.

Posted: Jan 4, 2010 at 13:04 Quote
Is it bad that when I saw a new post to this thread I figured Thrice broke his again? Razz

Posted: Jan 4, 2010 at 13:06 Quote
Nah, it is only me and my new replacement. I saw the thread and I thought it would be nice to share this with you guys: that's all.

Posted: Jan 4, 2010 at 13:07 Quote
smeckma wrote:
Nah, it is only me and my new replacement. I saw the thread and I thought it would be nice to share this with you guys: that's all.

Nice that rockys still taking care of them. Didnt cost you, did it?

Posted: Jan 4, 2010 at 14:20 Quote
Yeah, it is bad hummeroid, you make it sound as if it where my fault, and even if it was, you shouldnt make it sound like that lol.

Anyway, I feel its going to break again. I see hariline scratches/fractures right where it broke the first time. The thing is I don´t know if they are hairline fractures or scratches. The paint isn´t chiped or anything. It looks like a very fine scratch is all.

Needless to say, I´m going to be looking into a new frame.

Posted: Jan 4, 2010 at 15:13 Quote
thrice wrote:
Yeah, it is bad hummeroid, you make it sound as if it where my fault, and even if it was, you shouldnt make it sound like that lol.

Anyway, I feel its going to break again. I see hariline scratches/fractures right where it broke the first time. The thing is I don´t know if they are hairline fractures or scratches. The paint isn´t chiped or anything. It looks like a very fine scratch is all.

Needless to say, I´m going to be looking into a new frame.

Haha, I know its not your fault. There's no way thats the case.

New frame, huh? Any particular prospects popped up?

Posted: Jan 4, 2010 at 16:07 Quote
I used to be sure about the Giant Reign X frame, but now I don´t see it up for sale anywhere on the web.

So maybe a Nomad? To be honest, I have no idea. But If my frame suddenly snaps, I will be forced to make an immediate investment on a frame.

My lbs can somehow get liteville frames. Any opinion on those? Any suggestions in general? Have you seen any good frame deals on the web?

Posted: Jan 4, 2010 at 16:33 Quote
Liteville is supposed to be legit, a spawn of Syntace who makes very well engineered components, and good customer service.

Posted: Jan 4, 2010 at 17:04 Quote
thrice wrote:
photo

photo

damn that sucks!
Did you hit the crankset on something that would transfer the force to that part?

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 at 7:40 Quote
jeunefred wrote:
thrice wrote:
photo

photo

damn that sucks!
Did you hit the crankset on something that would transfer the force to that part?

Absolutely not.

Posted: Feb 5, 2010 at 14:26 Quote
The Slayer had been updated a little. New SLX cranks, new 66 fork and Saint Brakes.

photo

Still, as expected. Last monday I noticed the bike started to crack in the same place it did the first time around. I had noticed the slight hairline fractures before, but was hoping they where scratches. Now its confirmed. The bike died for the third time (Do I hold some kind of record? Not that I would be proud.)

photo

So, I went ahead and ordered a Nomad frame. The one I had been thinking of ordering anyway. The break just made me go for it, after a couple of months of thinking about it.

Still, I sent the e-mail to the local dealer, hoping some kind of warranty is still in place. Here we go again.

Posted: Feb 5, 2010 at 17:35 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
Is it bad that when I saw a new post to this thread I figured Thrice broke his again? Razz

i had to laugh.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.050726
Mobile Version of Website