Powered by Outside

What do your parents/friends not understand about bikes?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What do your parents/friends not understand about bikes?
Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 10:11 Quote
My parents wonder, "why do you need more than 1?"

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 10:14 Quote
They don't understand the true value of the gear and components.
Or what any of style specifically entails...
They think them riding a fireroad at whistler on hardtails like 20years ago is the same as me going and hucking my FR bike off a 20ft dropFacepalm
They fortunately understand why I have more than one bike... and fully understand and support my need for proper safety equipment(yay Giro Remedy for xmas lol).

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 10:38 Quote
My dad doesnt get why i need a new frame because i got my complete bike in december and the frame has 2 huge dents in teh downtube and a possibly cracked headtube, also its almost full hi ten and the frame im getting is $140 but still gets mad

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 10:47 Quote
im quite lucky with my parents. My dad rides bikes even though its road racing, understands the need to always upgrade parts and even gets my deals through all his mates who own bike shops Big Grin

my mum on the other hand cant see why we need so many bikes and why keeping them outside is just not acceptableMadder lol

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 11:02 Quote
my parents get pissed if i wnt to spend money on parts and i get the'whats so special about this part' chat which im sure alot of u people are farmiliar with, they dont understand why the profile hub i want is £200, they also say why get a bike if ur gonna change stuff on it anyway and dont understand the whole concept of single speed and when i took my front brake off my street/park bike they moaned about why and i see thee point about safety but i cant really explain to them cos neiter ride park/street and wudnt understand why i dont need front brake.

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 11:04 Quote
My dad fails to understand both the price of everything, and why I INSIST on keeping my bike inside instead of in our old dingy garage.

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 11:06 Quote
my parents dont understand why i spent so much money on my bikes and then they spent money also and now its cool

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 11:09 Quote
why i cant ride dh/fr with my xc/am bike, why i have to spend so much money on my bikes, theres way more but i dont feel like posting them yet

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 11:12 Quote
why i don't have a frontbreak on my bmx and why i bought an expensive bike with only 9 gears and who you can't bike uphill with.

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 11:25 Quote
They don't understand that a bike costs money because it has to last being thrown down a hill Razz

or why I set the saddle low sometimes, it's not like im sitting on it >.

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 20:46 Quote
stubb wrote:
ha ha at all the kids , im a parent and i cant understand why i have to buy lots of pointless crap for my kids to break and not look after instead of spending it on new bike bits for me,

thinking about it you guys are pretty lucky as this generation of kids are growing up with mostly clued up parents who were themselves into or still are into ""urban or extreme "" sports , our parents thought a hoop and a stick were cool toys , have a bit more respect for your folks guys instead of dissing them on some web site
Im not dissing my parents, im just answering the question of the thread.

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 20:48 Quote
My parents dont know that bikes cost lots of money...

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 20:50 Quote
my mom dosnt see a difference in bikes besides looksReally Mad Madder

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 20:57 Quote
oneill-kid123 wrote:
my mom dosnt see a difference in bikes besides looksReally Mad Madder
same with both my parents.

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 21:15 Quote
what quality is. my stepdad is a complete tit. the one time i let him ride my bike, which i've put so much money into, he said it was alright but his $150 Huffy has better shocks and stuff.

my mom keeps trying to get me to DH on my XC bike, "you don't need a new bike, you've spent like $2000 on the bike you have now it should be fine for every kind of riding". its all overpriced, who cares if its handmade in Germany, etc.

my dad was the same way, kept trying to tell me my XC bike is fine for DH. finally i took him to a store, grabbed the $2600 hard tail XC race bike they had there, then the full out downhill bike. he stopped saying that my XC bike was fine for DH. especially after he thought his 1990, falling apart XC wal-mart mongoose was fine for DH.

the first time i brought my bike home my mom asked were the kickstand was, and then proceed to tell me to bike back to the store and get the kickstand that comes with the bike, because there trying to scam me out of my money, and all bikes come with kickstands now because they have locking mechanisms and there safe, and theirs laws, etc.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016434
Mobile Version of Website