Best All Mountain Bike ?

Posted: Oct 5, 2011 at 23:04 Quote
Iron Horse 6.6 with 8.75x2.75 rear shock, 180mm rear 160-180mm front travel, 16kg. I can climb anything with 2 rings up front and I keep up easily with the dh bikes at my local trails.
photo

Posted: Oct 6, 2011 at 4:29 Quote
IDK if u r still looking, but the TREK Slash looks to fit the bill.

internet pic

Posted: Oct 6, 2011 at 5:50 Quote
twowheels2011 wrote:
IDK if u r still looking, but the TREK Slash looks to fit the bill.

internet pic

i think it's tread over time aye Maybe Ibis owner's (yes lopes I'm taking to you) would disagree

Posted: Oct 6, 2011 at 6:02 Quote
Ibis Mojo HD or Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Evo Carbon or Enduro Evo Carbon.

O+
Posted: Oct 6, 2011 at 10:04 Quote
Look for one of these:

Ibis Mojo HD
Santa Cruz Nomad
Pivot Firebird
knolly chilcotin
Giant Reign X

Posted: Oct 6, 2011 at 17:35 Quote
what do u guys think of the new Ns Core 1??

Posted: Oct 6, 2011 at 19:51 Quote
Its a hardtail. Meh.

Posted: Oct 6, 2011 at 20:25 Quote
YETI ASR 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Oct 7, 2011 at 12:34 Quote
I've said it before and I'll say it again - orange alpine 160! I rode the tour de Nevis on it recently and apart from the lack of fitness on the lethal climbs I made massive time up on the downhill sections. I had no technical problems with it and although I looked on in envy of the orange five riders I did pass nearly all on the descent following the climbs. It does allow you to have a mini downhill bike out of it and they retain their value very well as they're not a bike that is updated annually.

Posted: Oct 9, 2011 at 21:58 Quote
cameronumf wrote:
YETI ASR 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tup

Posted: Oct 10, 2011 at 3:02 Quote
I'm sure that the King of 'all mountain' bikes is going to be Nicolais Helius AM with 18 spd pinion gear box Big Grin

Posted: Oct 10, 2011 at 3:10 Quote
I'm sure that there's no such thing as 'the best' All Mountain bike, because everyone has different preferences. I want a bike that pedals up okay but slays the downs, like an Enduro Evo, while some other guy might want a bike that shreds single track and pedals better up, while only losing a bit on the downs, like a Stumpjumper Evo.

Try what you think might work for you, 3 or 4 different bikes, figure out what you need and go with that.

Posted: Oct 10, 2011 at 3:20 Quote
tom-cuthbert wrote:
I'm sure that there's no such thing as 'the best' All Mountain bike, because everyone has different preferences. I want a bike that pedals up okay but slays the downs, like an Enduro Evo, while some other guy might want a bike that shreds single track and pedals better up, while only losing a bit on the downs, like a Stumpjumper Evo.

Try what you think might work for you, 3 or 4 different bikes, figure out what you need and go with that.

Good Point and Good advice

Posted: Oct 12, 2011 at 5:24 Quote
[PI=/Users/donngramm/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2011/Oct 8, 2011/DSCN6239.AVI size=l align=c][/PI]got an '11 Trek Scratch Air 8. 160 or 170mm rear and 160 upfront, 33 pounder but still climbs, DH? ohh yeah.

Posted: Oct 12, 2011 at 18:38 Quote
I'm also currently on the market for an AM bike. From what I understand, the AM category is way too "wide" to be able to say X bike is the best. There are more XC oriented bikes (lighter, less travel, better pedaling) and more dh oriented bikes (heavier, harsher pedaling but descends better due to longer travel and sturdiness). So it seems to all come down to what do you want the most or what are you willing to sacrifice. Pedaling up vs. going downhill.

Personally, I got a road bike and I love pedaling but I find asphalt boring. I also have a downhill bike but I find myself longing for more than just going downhill. So I'm looking for a bike that can pedal up nicely but still can take a beating without flinching when going down. 150-160mm travel options seem to be the best for me as I fear that below 5" travel, it would be a little too harsh and with a 7" i'd sacrifice too much going uphill.

So far I've been hesitating between:

Yeti - SB-66
Specialized - enduro
Devinci - Dixon

Oh and it's easy to say "well go test ride bikes". Don't know about you but that option isn't really available where I'm from.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.029789
Mobile Version of Website