Powered by Outside

(FGFS) Fixed Gear Freestyle Thread

PB Forum :: Vintage and Fixed Gear Bikes
(FGFS) Fixed Gear Freestyle Thread
Posted: Oct 15, 2015 at 13:41 Quote
bluntosaurusrex wrote:
for 26" look at any mtb rigid fork they likely have the mount

http://salsacycles.com/components/category/forks/cromoto_26_disc

Would something like that work? Also, I noticed the BB17 frames have an integrated 45/45 campy head tube, and I dont really know what that means... its the bearing diameter right? Does the fork above work with that size?

Posted: Oct 15, 2015 at 14:13 Quote
Jappachino wrote:
bluntosaurusrex wrote:
for 26" look at any mtb rigid fork they likely have the mount

http://salsacycles.com/components/category/forks/cromoto_26_disc

Would something like that work? Also, I noticed the BB17 frames have an integrated 45/45 campy head tube, and I dont really know what that means... its the bearing diameter right? Does the fork above work with that size?

45/45 campy is the standard that BMX and dirt jump mtb's use as an integrated headset. So if you look up a bmx online mailorder like empirebmx.com, all of their integrated headsets will be that standard.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/headset-standards#article-section-3

As to whether that fork works, I don't see why it woudn't. It's appears to be a regular 1 1/8" steer-tube fork. Some mountain bike suspension forks have a fatter steer tube (like 1.5").

Posted: Oct 15, 2015 at 15:25 Quote
id be hesitant to run something that light. see maybe a Idenitti rebate or DMR trailblades. also could message this guy about building you a fork. will be around same price as the other two and exactly what you are after

https://www.pinkbike.com/u/mattty/

Posted: Oct 15, 2015 at 21:31 Quote
also the rake on that salsa fork is not conducive to stunting as it is very relaxed... you will likely be better off with between 35-25mm fork rake

Posted: Oct 15, 2015 at 21:35 Quote
I can also vouch for matts workman ship. My stout Was better built than my 3 ns frames and my deity i had. Id have bought another one had the capital frame not been so cheap

Posted: Oct 17, 2015 at 12:24 Quote
Thanks so much for the input guys, I'll probably message the guy and get one built, since I couldn't find the identiti fork nor the DMR fork available to purchase online...

Now the next thing I'm looking at are hubs. I'm poking around online, trying to find a nice (but not too pricey) rear fgfs track hub, and some sorta disc mount compatible front hub. I heard that having female hubs are advantageous due to its rigidity and also low cost of replacing the bolts, what do you guys think? I haven't seen hub pairs sold with a rear track and a front disk, so I guess I'll have to buy them separately?

Ultimately I am thinking of lacing up a pair of 26" 36H wheels. I know they might turn out heavier, but I would rather have wheels that can take a beating Razz

Posted: Oct 21, 2015 at 22:09 Quote
Jappachino wrote:
Thanks so much for the input guys, I'll probably message the guy and get one built, since I couldn't find the identiti fork nor the DMR fork available to purchase online...

Now the next thing I'm looking at are hubs. I'm poking around online, trying to find a nice (but not too pricey) rear fgfs track hub, and some sorta disc mount compatible front hub. I heard that having female hubs are advantageous due to its rigidity and also low cost of replacing the bolts, what do you guys think? I haven't seen hub pairs sold with a rear track and a front disk, so I guess I'll have to buy them separately?

Ultimately I am thinking of lacing up a pair of 26" 36H wheels. I know they might turn out heavier, but I would rather have wheels that can take a beating Razz

http://breakbrake17.bigcartel.com/product/spike-vault-micro-drive-hub-10t

thats probably your best bet I'd also say take a look around at the other stuff on their page as its mostly on sale

Posted: Nov 11, 2015 at 10:26 Quote
Hi everyone!
I'm a rider from Hungary
And I'd like to buy a good kind of FSFG frame set
So I wanna ask if someone could help me to find something somewhere..
I'm interested in subrosa, unknown, volume, sg, eightinch, or anything similar...
Maybe from England or some other surrounding country
I prefer low seatpost and short toptube!
And it also can be used!
I listen everything!

crossforty@gmail.com

Thx a lot!!!

Posted: Nov 11, 2015 at 10:34 Quote
Hi everyone!
I'm a rider from Hungary
I'm interested in subrosa, unknown, volume, sg, eightinch, or anything similar...
And it also can be used!
I listen everything!

crossforty@gmail.com
Or viber: +36705415977

Thx a lot!!!

Posted: Dec 11, 2015 at 20:59 Quote
Axle-to-Crown: Choosing the Right FGFS Fork

I just bought a used 26inch FGFS frame (BB17 Charmer). I have a 700c FGFS fork (Volume FuManchu), whose a-t-c is 420mm. Naturally, I assumed I can't use such a fork on this frame. But then I talked to the designer of another 26inch FGFS frame and he said he designed his geo around a fork with 420mm a-t-c. He did that for barspin clearance, he said.

So I'm wondering, who out there is using a 700c FGFS fork in his 26inch FGFS frame?

Part of the problem is availability; there are numerous 700c FGFS forks still kicking around - FuManchu, Bruiser, Dropout, Booster, Scissor, etc - but 26inch FGFS forks seem suddenly rare. I can find only the Spike fork in that size.

Honestly, I'd like the extra a-t-c, since I'm tall, and a taller fork will make me happier. I could, of course, just use taller bars and the proper 26inch fork, but, as I say, I already own the FuManchu fork.

Thanks for your help!

-Jason in Minneapolis

Posted: Dec 13, 2015 at 12:59 Quote
Pistaman wrote:
Hi everyone!
I'm a rider from Hungary
And it also can be used!
I listen everything!

crossforty@gmail.com

Thx a lot!!!

Get a Bombtrack Divide. I think they're easy to get ahold of in Europe, and good value.

easysmile wrote:
Axle-to-Crown: Choosing the Right FGFS Fork

I just bought a used 26inch FGFS frame (BB17 Charmer). I have a 700c FGFS fork (Volume FuManchu), whose a-t-c is 420mm. Naturally, I assumed I can't use such a fork on this frame. But then I talked to the designer of another 26inch FGFS frame and he said he designed his geo around a fork with 420mm a-t-c. He did that for barspin clearance, he said.

So I'm wondering, who out there is using a 700c FGFS fork in his 26inch FGFS frame?

Thanks for your help!

-Jason in Minneapolis

I'm not really sure what you're planning, but the Fu Manchus are long, and don't have much side to side tire clearance. They are a pretty old design, back when people were running 32c tires on skinny track wheels.

I personally hate the look of a big gap between the wheel and crown, so I run a Charge scissor fork which is a bit shorter at like 410mm or something.

I say you try the Fu Manchu and see how it feels. If the geometry works, you're good to go.

Posted: Dec 18, 2015 at 20:36 Quote
Thanks, UpsideDown, for your response to my post re: choosing forks.

Are you telling me it's not uncommon to use a 700c fork in a 26" frame? I noticed a Leader Reaper fork on eBay and its description indicates fitment for either 26-inch or 700c. I also remember some FGFS frames were sold as buildable as either/or. That always seemed weak to me. I mean, if I buy a "combo" frame and build it as a 26'er, then my chainstays are too long, clearly. Sadio marketed its Booster that way. Can you suggest some 26-inch-specific forks? The only one I see now is a Spike fork. I can't find BB17's Cobra anywhere, so I assume it's gone the way of the dinosaur.

Tell me about your whip.

-E

Posted: Dec 18, 2015 at 20:57 Quote
Fixed Drivetrain: Micro-Drive or Cog/Lockring?

I'm building a Charmer. It has, as you will know, 14mm track ends. I have a track hub with a 10mm axle, and that's all I have. So I need a hub. I know of just two FGFS hubs with both 14mm axles and a traditional cog/lockring design: Sadio's Spark and All-City's Deputy, both of which are out of production. I learned this week about something different: Bombtrack's Owl hub, with its fixed micro-drive 10T sprocket. The Owl has a 14mm axle and it's hella-strong, but what do you think about achieving your gearing with so few teeth? Bombtrack says the hub's sprocket is just 9/10T 'cause the max' sprocket (front) that can fit on a Divide frame is just 28T. That means a lot of you Divide owners are going to have some pretty short chains. Short chains matter not in freewheeling drivetrains, but what about fixed applications, to say nothing of the uber-chain-stressing FGFS?

For all I know, most FGFS-specific frames have room enough for 28T sprockets and nothing more, so the micro-drive design from Bombtrack makes sense. Still, short chains spread the load between fewer links, thus lowering their breakage thresholds. Also, fewer cog/sprocket teeth means faster wear, too. The only advantage I see to a FGFS driveline involving a short chain is weight savings. What am I missing? And who among you is riding an Owl?

Thanks for reading.

-E

Posted: Dec 18, 2015 at 21:34 Quote
drive train clearance for grind tricks. you can combat drive train wear by replacing your chain before it wears too much.

Posted: Dec 18, 2015 at 23:30 Quote
yeah pretty much what nwthumbs said and stronger design ie no lock ring to strip out

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.034990
Mobile Version of Website