Would you go to school on an expensive bike?

PB Forum :: Scams & Stolen Bikes
Would you go to school on an expensive bike?
Posted: Sep 6, 2010 at 12:36 Quote
stprider16 wrote:
ive had somebody undo the quick release and only found out after. also somebody tried taking my wheels off but couldnt get the lock undone so i dont ride to school anymore.
I have found that electric shock works great on thieves!....tup

Posted: Sep 6, 2010 at 15:05 Quote
stprider16 wrote:
ive had somebody undo the quick release and only found out after. also somebody tried taking my wheels off but couldnt get the lock undone so i don't ride to school anymore.

lucky..lol I had my skewer stolen out of my front wheel at school...they left everything else.but I would ride my bike to school because it's the only way to get to school...I have a rural school and the bus thing is stupid and doesn't pick anyone up intown (which where I am) so I rode to school each day..

but I've been out of school for awhile now...I rode my Stinky to work everyday. kept it unlocked in the shop...only 3 of us worked there.

But now yes..I'd ride my bike to work and to shchool but I'd use ALL the locks I have on it..

Posted: Sep 6, 2010 at 15:13 Quote
You all need one of these
http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/
They guarantee that your lock will be break proof for min 5 minutes, u shud watch the video though, they're using industrial bolt cutters and it only scratches the coating of the lock o_O

Posted: Sep 6, 2010 at 17:56 Quote
canadian-rider wrote:
t3rr1 wrote:
I used to... I just got it stored in the gym storage room during the day.
Has anyone ever rode their bike to school, then at the end of the day found that some1 bend your disk brakes?
ya im thinkin about doin the same or just stick to walking

Posted: Sep 6, 2010 at 18:51 Quote
here's the thing with ANY chain/cable/lock/theft prevention device...

It's only going to delay them.

Posted: Sep 6, 2010 at 21:01 Quote
yeah but the thing is at school, or at least the ones near me, who the hell is going to bring bolt cutters, and whos going to manage to snip the cable to your lock in front of the whole damn school (which you would have to do in my school)

Posted: Sep 7, 2010 at 0:57 Quote
where i live we have one of the highest bicycle theft crime rates in the UK and the sad thing is a determined thief will get what he/she wants! my only saving grace is that i insure everything i own and keep reciepts.

Posted: Sep 7, 2010 at 19:05 Quote
yo13bo wrote:
yeah but the thing is at school, or at least the ones near me, who the hell is going to bring bolt cutters, and whos going to manage to snip the cable to your lock in front of the whole damn school (which you would have to do in my school)

The best thing is real chains, 'nuff said.

Keep in mind that obviously we bikers look out for eachother, it's everyone else who doesn't do a damn thing when they see something suspicious. There's a video about a guy in New York who using various senarios 'stole' a bike he had setup, to see if anyone would react. He did one with bolt cutters, one with a hack saw wearing a hooded sweater, and another with a grinder of some sort. In short people didn't do anything to stop the guy, it just looked like the dude forgot the keys to his lock and he's solving the problem...

Posted: Sep 8, 2010 at 2:06 Quote
StuHaight wrote:
yo13bo wrote:

The best thing is real chains, 'nuff said.

Keep in mind that obviously we bikers look out for eachother, it's everyone else who doesn't do a damn thing when they see something suspicious. There's a video about a guy in New York who using various senarios 'stole' a bike he had setup, to see if anyone would react. He did one with bolt cutters, one with a hack saw wearing a hooded sweater, and another with a grinder of some sort. In short people didn't do anything to stop the guy, it just looked like the dude forgot the keys to his lock and he's solving the problem...
oh ya! i saw that show, amazing how many people hardly do anything to stop him. ofcourse the only people that do are other bikers and like you said thats why us bikers have to watchout for eachother.

Posted: Sep 8, 2010 at 3:03 Quote
i guess for a public place that is true, but if you bring bolt cutters/hacksaw or a grinder to school the teachers are going to ask questions, and if they see you using them youll have a bit of explaining to do. stealing locked bikes is near impossible at my school so i can ride my bike sometimes

Posted: Sep 8, 2010 at 3:23 Quote
yo13bo wrote:
i guess for a public place that is true, but if you bring bolt cutters/hacksaw or a grinder to school the teachers are going to ask questions, and if they see you using them youll have a bit of explaining to do. stealing locked bikes is near impossible at my school so i can ride my bike sometimes

Its not necessarily going to be a schoolmate who steals your bike though and most bike theives couldn't care less aboiut being seen in the act, just make sure no one sees their faces directly. Everything else can be dumped.

In grade 7, my friend's bike was stolen from right outside the school while he watched. The guy looked like a pedestrian walking through the schoolyard until he pulled some bolt cutters out of his bag. As soon as I saw the bolt cutters come out and the guy walk towards my friend's bike, I told him. He wasn't even out of his desk and his bike was down the street.

Its also super easy to conceal the sized bolt cutters you'd need to get through most bike locks.

Posted: Sep 8, 2010 at 3:41 Quote
i ride my bike to school, it's fun to go to some jumps nearby after school so yeah.
i lock up my bike up with 2 locks, one around rearwheel/frame/bike rack and another around the frame/forks/frontwheel. i try to find a crowded spot aswell so it like doesn't stand out as much and doesn't get seen first.

Posted: Sep 8, 2010 at 3:44 Quote
can you buy small enough tracking devices to put in your bike?

Posted: Sep 8, 2010 at 3:58 Quote
i think you can. if you can microchip a pet dog using a hypodermic needle surely you can make one for a bike

Posted: Sep 8, 2010 at 4:06 Quote
i might look into it cause i would love it if some douchebag thinks he got away with my bike and the police just track him and arrest him within minutes of taking it!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014562
Mobile Version of Website