Powered by Outside

(fixedgear) info & discussion

PB Forum :: Vintage and Fixed Gear Bikes
(fixedgear) info & discussion
Posted: Oct 16, 2016 at 23:35 Quote
parallax is a flat out sprint frame and the Vigorelli is a purpose built fixed crit frame. of course they are gonna ride like shit on the road lol

Posted: Oct 17, 2016 at 0:35 Quote
nwthumbs wrote:
parallax is a flat out sprint frame and the Vigorelli is a purpose built fixed crit frame. of course they are gonna ride like shit on the road lol

Can confirm. Rode an hour on my friend's parallax and I got carpel tunnel

Super steep and snappy geo though.

Posted: Oct 17, 2016 at 13:43 Quote
bonfire wrote:
I wouldn't say that your bit about better frames riding the same as cheaper stuff. I would say that is proper nonsense.

Riding some decent steel, or just high quality tube set on an alloy bike has substantial differences in ride quality. Combined with some decent wheels and tires, it can make a huge difference.

My para' has next level stiffness compared to other frame i ridden, including Dolan and my 2013 histo, i rarely got the energy for it! when you put that power down it really delivers, but at the same time, i'm not any faster on it on a typical 30 mile training ride and i'd be much comfier on some njs steel

Posted: Oct 18, 2016 at 11:06 Quote
never-stop wrote:
My para' has next level stiffness compared to other frame i ridden, including Dolan and my 2013 histo, i rarely got the energy for it! when you put that power down it really delivers, but at the same time, i'm not any faster on it on a typical 30 mile training ride and i'd be much comfier on some njs steel

What does njs stand for? I see it everywhere.

Posted: Oct 18, 2016 at 19:37 Quote
mayo-22 wrote:
never-stop wrote:

Read the part pertaining to keirin: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JKA_Foundation

Posted: Oct 20, 2016 at 12:03 Quote
mayo-22 wrote:
never-stop wrote:

Nihon Jitensha Shinkokai, i think it translates to Japanese Keirin Association

Posted: Oct 21, 2016 at 18:22 Quote
Random question: Anyone know if the steamroller was ever made in a 57cm size option? I found one used, the guy claims its a size 57. It looks more like their 59 in the photos, which would fit me even better.
photo

Posted: Oct 21, 2016 at 18:53 Quote
And this one on Ebay claims to be a 58cm, which I also thought never existed.
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/gLAAAOxyPLpRdyfB/s-l1600.jpg

Posted: Oct 25, 2016 at 16:56 Quote
Surly's are basically about 2cm larger than the stated size, for example my 53 had a 55cm top tube and was 55cm centre to top of the seat clamp, pm them and ask how they measured it

Posted: Oct 25, 2016 at 17:21 Quote
Gotcha, I understand why there was so much difference. Has anyone heard of the Gary Fisher/Trek Triton? Looks like Trek's response to the Steamroller.

Posted: Oct 25, 2016 at 18:40 Quote
many companies have been doing bikes like that for some time now. kona paddy wagon, brodie remus, norco heart(albet it comes stock with a riser bar its a handle bar away from being what i consider a ss road bike) specialized roll all come to mind.

Posted: Oct 26, 2016 at 12:16 Quote
Few more come to mind Razz Mercier Kilo WT, Pake rum runner, Eighth inch scrambler or the All city big block or nature boy, probably the best rival to the 'roller IMO

Posted: Oct 26, 2016 at 16:07 Quote
nature boy is more of a cross bike TBH. i was more less naming off bikes from big brands that he would have been more likely to see in the US based on the fact he brought up trek. also RIP Pake french 75.

EDIT: and the kilo TT, big block and rum runner are more track like than the others. steeper HT's, higher BB's ect.

Posted: Oct 27, 2016 at 23:23 Quote
nwthumbs wrote:
nature boy is more of a cross bike TBH. i was more less naming off bikes from big brands that he would have been more likely to see in the US based on the fact he brought up trek. also RIP Pake french 75.

EDIT: and the kilo TT, big block and rum runner are more track like than the others. steeper HT's, higher BB's ect.

Depends what you need it for, if your putting fat tyres and 2 brakes on the 'roller, the nature boy is a great alternative, the roller also has quite a low bb and feels like a road bike, so it's not really going to feel like a track bike either.

Posted: Oct 27, 2016 at 23:40 Quote
Thats why I was suggesting what I was.

Either way a lot of me wants something like a mash work bike. Clearance for big ass tires. Strong as tits, steep angles still and plausibly trickable. Though I'm sure it's oneasy of those things I'm really stoked about cause I just watched FOAD fixeds new full length. Should go give it a watch.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.037308
Mobile Version of Website