Homemade Parts!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Homemade Parts!
Posted: Jan 16, 2015 at 14:09 Quote
Hahahaha! Awesome, thanks Smile

Posted: Jan 16, 2015 at 14:16 Quote
six66 wrote:
Hahahaha! Awesome, thanks Smile
Yeah i spread it about on some other threads and forums as well as my facebook page asking people to report it, seems to have done the trickSalute

Posted: Jan 16, 2015 at 14:18 Quote
is there a buy it now price?

#sickofliving

Posted: Jan 16, 2015 at 14:20 Quote
iffy wrote:
is there a buy it now price?

#sickofliving
thinking of starting a hall of shame?

Posted: Jan 17, 2015 at 3:13 Quote
Some nice forks have been displayed on this thread lately...

Posted: Jan 19, 2015 at 11:51 Quote
considering making a top guide and I could use a little help
current plan is to use 1.5mm thick sheet aluminium for the back plate, and 1mm thick carbon sheet for the cage
couple of questions-
will the backplate be stiff enough, or should I get something thicker? most guides seem to use 3mm+ thick aluminium. there is quite a price jump going from 1.5mm to 2 or 3mm. the cage should be pretty lightweight.
can/should I use a laser cutter on the carbon?
how much can I expect laser cutting to cost?
thanks Smile

Posted: Jan 19, 2015 at 11:59 Quote
depends on the type as to how stiff it will be.

send me your design and i'll cut it out of 2mm for you Wink

Posted: Jan 19, 2015 at 12:10 Quote
iffy wrote:

was thinking of asking you Wink aberdeen is pretty well equipped but if you're offer is cheaper than theirs I won't say no lol I'll pm you tup

doesn't actually say what type it is which is worrying

Posted: Jan 19, 2015 at 12:34 Quote
I got a piece of 3mm big enough for 4 back plates for 4 quid at a metal fabricators as a off cut. Try that maybe? Anything thinner is a bit flexy, my dad had some 2mm which i tried first and it just flexed because of the length of the arms

Posted: Jan 19, 2015 at 12:38 Quote
Do you just walk in and ask for offcuts?
It might actually be cheaper to just do the whole thing out of carbon if I'm buying online

Posted: Jan 19, 2015 at 12:48 Quote
Pretty much yeah, I just went in, someone came asked me what I wanted, said i was after some 3mm alu plate as cheap as possible, we went to the offcut pile and found summat suitable that was cheap haha.

Posted: Jan 19, 2015 at 13:01 Quote
What's more important is the type of aluminum.

7075T6 for the win Wink

Magura Smile

Posted: Jan 19, 2015 at 13:06 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:
iffy wrote:

was thinking of asking you Wink aberdeen is pretty well equipped but if you're offer is cheaper than theirs I won't say no lol I'll pm you tup

Expect anything to cost a lot in aberdeen. Oil and gas industry has hiked up manufacturing costs. No one is going to be interested in helping some kid make some bike parts apart from some small machine shops. You'd be better off asking to use tools in uni.

Also no one really does carbon fibre in aberdeen apart from the university's for the formula student stuff, you'd be better asking mr magura for some homebrew ideas as hes the boy when it comes to CF

Posted: Jan 19, 2015 at 13:17 Quote
turtlesauce2000 wrote:
jamieridesbikes wrote:
iffy wrote:

Expect anything to cost a lot in aberdeen. Oil and gas industry has hiked up manufacturing costs. No one is going to be interested in helping some kid make some bike parts apart from some small machine shops. You'd be better off asking to use tools in uni.

Also no one really does carbon fibre in aberdeen apart from the university's for the formula student stuff, you'd be better asking mr magura for some homebrew ideas as hes the boy when it comes to CF
I've found this, which might be of interest to you if you've not heard about it already. I might have to check it out myself at some point in the near future. All I'd be doing with carbon is buying some rigid sheet online and cutting shapes from it, no moulding or anything complex.
currently speaking to iffy about laser cutting though, seems to be the way forward at this stage.

edit, iffys stuff is 6082 - T6~T651, sound good?

Posted: Jan 19, 2015 at 13:18 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:
turtlesauce2000 wrote:
jamieridesbikes wrote:

I've found this, which might be of interest to you if you've not heard about it already. I might have to check it out myself at some point in the near future. All I'd be doing with carbon is buying some rigid sheet online and cutting shapes from it, no moulding or anything complex.
currently speaking to iffy about laser cutting though, seems to be the way forward at this stage.

edit, iffys stuff is 6082 - T6~T651, sound good?
Yeah ive heard of that place

Please see bold.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011600
Mobile Version of Website