2015 and up giant reign owners thread!

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
2015 and up giant reign owners thread!
Posted: Nov 22, 2017 at 14:06 Quote
tricyclerider wrote:
MoseyMTB wrote:
Hi guys and gals,

I’m 5ft7 and stuck between a small and a medium.

Do I want the stability of the medium or the shorter seat tube of the small.
I’m 5’7 and I went small. Looking back it helped me progress since it was a lot more manuverable but long run I wish I went with a medium. Just hauling threw tech can be scary due to the shorter wheel base. You could definitely go either way one will have a more fun feel and the other a more racey feel.

I’m also 5’7 and went with a medium. Way more stable at speed and I’m still able to run an internal 125mm dropper. I do have a 35mm stem which helps me get the front end up easier

Posted: Nov 22, 2017 at 14:09 Quote
I think medium with a short stem would be better.

Seen a beaut of a medium frame too.

I just hope the reach isn’t too long.

O+
Posted: Nov 22, 2017 at 14:35 Quote
EFISCHER wrote:
tricyclerider wrote:
MoseyMTB wrote:
Hi guys and gals,

I’m 5’7 and I went small. Looking back it helped me progress since it was a lot more manuverable but long run I wish I went with a medium. Just hauling threw tech can be scary due to the shorter wheel base. You could definitely go either way one will have a more fun feel and the other a more racey feel.

I’m also 5’7 and went with a medium. Way more stable at speed and I’m still able to run an internal 125mm dropper. I do have a 35mm stem which helps me get the front end up easier
that’s the way I would recommend going.

O+
Posted: Nov 25, 2017 at 22:39 Quote
Thinking of buying a new 2017 giant reign but on the fence do to thinking it might be to much bike. Is it manageable as a trail bike 90% of the time with the occasional bike park days. Or should I stick with better pedaling and shorter travel. I hate climbing but every FS I've ridden climbs better/more enjoyable than my hard tail (weird but true).

Posted: Nov 26, 2017 at 0:20 Quote
EFISCHER wrote:
tricyclerider wrote:
MoseyMTB wrote:
Hi guys and gals,

I'm 5,6, i'm riding a medium too. I've just pushed the seat to the front a bit and installed a 40mm stem (I wouldn't go shorter) with a bar that has more backsweep. At first, it feels a bit long, bunny hoppin' seems also complicated, but now I'm used to and I love the stability at high speed.

Posted: Nov 26, 2017 at 13:23 Quote
bocaj2010 wrote:
Thinking of buying a new 2017 giant reign but on the fence do to thinking it might be to much bike. Is it manageable as a trail bike 90% of the time with the occasional bike park days. Or should I stick with better pedaling and shorter travel. I hate climbing but every FS I've ridden climbs better/more enjoyable than my hard tail (weird but true).

I find that all bikes are a compromise in different areas. If I could have only one bike my Reign rules supreme. It all depends on what you find the most fun. If you like fast flowing and/or glarly downward trails go Reign, if you like to be the first to the top of the hill go xc hardtail. The Reign will do any kind of riding, I have done 25km plus rides on trails with various conditions, sustained climbs, fast flow, lots of gnarl, fast decsents and loved every minute of it. If you buy a Reign I don't think you will regret it.

Posted: Nov 26, 2017 at 14:21 Quote
anybody know where I can get a DHX2 for a reasonable price? I'm never going to be able to shell out nearly £700 on a shock.. How does a Vivd R2C compare? Has anybody used one?

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2017 at 14:29 Quote
HarryStenner94 wrote:
anybody know where I can get a DHX2 for a reasonable price? I'm never going to be able to shell out nearly £700 on a shock.. How does a Vivd R2C compare? Has anybody used one?

I have been on a vivid since I have had a reign. It's great but it's not like an air shock. Obv you ain't got no lock out. I don't care but some might. That is why the dhx2 is better as it has a climb switch.

Posted: Nov 26, 2017 at 15:03 Quote
smobytoe wrote:
HarryStenner94 wrote:

I have been on a vivid since I have had a reign. It's great but it's not like an air shock. Obv you ain't got no lock out. I don't care but some might. That is why the dhx2 is better as it has a climb switch.

Might not be an issue.. i'd probably keep my monarch rt for more pedally days out anyway. thanks for your help!

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2017 at 22:49 Quote
Bulldog61 wrote:
bocaj2010 wrote:

I find that all bikes are a compromise in different areas. If I could have only one bike my Reign rules supreme. It all depends on what you find the most fun. If you like fast flowing and/or glarly downward trails go Reign, if you like to be the first to the top of the hill go xc hardtail. The Reign will do any kind of riding, I have done 25km plus rides on trails with various conditions, sustained climbs, fast flow, lots of gnarl, fast decsents and loved every minute of it. If you buy a Reign I don't think you will regret it.

Thank you for your input. While I will never be the first to the top of a climb, I would do my best to get to the bottom first. One more question, is it playful or does it just plow through everything in its path?

Posted: Nov 27, 2017 at 2:55 Quote
bocaj2010 wrote:
Bulldog61 wrote:
bocaj2010 wrote:

Thank you for your input. While I will never be the first to the top of a climb, I would do my best to get to the bottom first. One more question, is it playful or does it just plow through everything in its path?

The Reign loves to play and it can also plow. I love the way my Reign rides, I find it very nimble but it needs speed. The faster you ride a Reign the better it handles.

Posted: Nov 27, 2017 at 6:27 Quote
hi guys, how do you guys route the dropper? fully internal or through out the hole behind the seat tube, goes under the BB then into the under frame hole?

im having this problem, the cable rubs the lower linkage

Posted: Nov 27, 2017 at 6:47 Quote
[Quoten]hi guys, how do you guys route the dropper? fully internal or through out the hole behind the seat tube, goes under the BB then into the under frame hole?

im having this problem, the cable rubs the lower linkage[/Quoten]

Good question. I've just fitted a Giant 150 dropper internally into my Reign and it wasn't all that pleasant an experience. The previous week I had fitted an internal post to a friend's S.C Bronson so I guess I was hoping for similar simplicity. Anyway I fitted the whole thing internally, initially starting from the bars, but try as I might I couldn't really get it in a smooth curve by trying to place it under the B/B (which has to be removed) so I've aligned mine above the B/B. Take your time and be patient getting everything as free and smooth as possible then re-build or replace the B/B. Even then I found it difficult guiding the cable smoothly through the rear suspension pivot so I started again from the seat end. I didn't see the point in going half way internally and bringing it out that hole at the back of the seat tube, but it does require patience. On another point though, does anyone stick with that horrible little lever Giant give you fort the dropper.? I tried it a few weeks and gave in but then found it difficult getting a good lever where the barrel end was on the seat. Eventually I settled for a Wolftooth, and everything is now running well though I did take a tip from on here and use fork oil on the dropper shaft before and after. Makes a huge difference.

Posted: Nov 27, 2017 at 6:53 Quote
Whitey1 wrote:
[Quoten]hi guys, how do you guys route the dropper? fully internal or through out the hole behind the seat tube, goes under the BB then into the under frame hole?

im having this problem, the cable rubs the lower linkage[/Quoten]

Good question. I've just fitted a Giant 150 dropper internally into my Reign and it wasn't all that pleasant an experience. The previous week I had fitted an internal post to a friend's S.C Bronson so I guess I was hoping for similar simplicity. Anyway I fitted the whole thing internally, initially starting from the bars, but try as I might I couldn't really get it in a smooth curve by trying to place it under the B/B (which has to be removed) so I've aligned mine above the B/B. Take your time and be patient getting everything as free and smooth as possible then re-build or replace the B/B. Even then I found it difficult guiding the cable smoothly through the rear suspension pivot so I started again from the seat end. I didn't see the point in going half way internally and bringing it out that hole at the back of the seat tube, but it does require patience. On another point though, does anyone stick with that horrible little lever Giant give you fort the dropper.? I tried it a few weeks and gave in but then found it difficult getting a good lever where the barrel end was on the seat. Eventually I settled for a Wolftooth, and everything is now running well though I did take a tip from on here and use fork oil on the dropper shaft before and after. Makes a huge difference.

yeah, i know it can be done fully internal, but it seems my local bike shop seems reluctant to go through the hassle...keep saying it cant be done etc..sigh..

Posted: Nov 27, 2017 at 7:04 Quote
I routed my Reverb fully internal, over the BB and then out the port near the HT on the right side (viewed from the saddle). It's not that big of a deal to do by your self, keep the chain and everything shift-wise on the bike. Pull the cranks and thread the BB of, route the cable and hook everything back up again. A 30min job max for a decent home mechanic.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016720
Mobile Version of Website