Powered by Outside

The official, you guys are hyprocrits about inverted forks thread.

PB Forum :: Downhill
The official, you guys are hyprocrits about inverted forks thread.
Posted: Aug 3, 2011 at 9:59 Quote
My issue is that the stantions are now the lowers. Looking at my bike now, the lowers \on my 888 are JACKED up from crashing, and I go through a stantion or 2 a season as it is. Fork guard or not, I'm still not looking to rebuild my fork and replace shit for every big gouge I see on the back of my lowers now.

O+
Posted: Aug 3, 2011 at 10:19 Quote
themontajew wrote:
My issue is that the stantions are now the lowers. Looking at my bike now, the lowers \on my 888 are JACKED up from crashing, and I go through a stantion or 2 a season as it is. Fork guard or not, I'm still not looking to rebuild my fork and replace shit for every big gouge I see on the back of my lowers now.

My stanctions were flawless when I sold that dorado the other day and I was probably the 3rd owner of it. The fork guards take a lot of abuse and they wrap around to all the exposed areas minus the rear so as long as you don't lean your bike up against a rock and it rolls backwards and manages to hit the fork just right, you'll never scratch them. The only areas on my old super T or boxxer that ever got messed up are the drop outs and the upper stanctions for whatever reason. So the fork wouldn't actually leak or anything unless I went into the 6+ travel range which wasn't often because I run my suspension stiff.

Posted: Aug 3, 2011 at 10:33 Quote
akirizu wrote:
photo
photo

Gouges on my old dorado... rode the fork for at least a year after that. They're about a millimeter and a half deep. The clear coat on these is very thick and you can see on the first pic, the bottom one is down to bare carbon.

Yes but it's not just carbon fiber,it's a carbon fiber wrap.

O+
Posted: Aug 3, 2011 at 11:00 Quote
The carbon is still a structural part of the fork whether its a wrap or not. It's not like they made a full sized aluminum version and then wrapped it with carbon.

Posted: Aug 3, 2011 at 12:45 Quote
akirizu wrote:
photo
photo

Gouges on my old dorado... rode the fork for at least a year after that. They're about a millimeter and a half deep. The clear coat on these is very thick and you can see on the first pic, the bottom one is down to bare carbon.

Ding ding ding ding!

Thanks for posting that man.

People forget, these are not carbon seat posts, or handlebars.

I've seen many a dorados back in the day like this.

Posted: Aug 3, 2011 at 12:51 Quote
themontajew wrote:

You have no idea how insanely tough fork guards are. Let's put it this way, the fork guards on my shivers are WAAAAY tougher than the lowers on my 888's were. I never ever got even a scratch on the lowers on my shivers, but my 888's look like they got beat down with a sledge hammer (and I rode my bike harder with my shivers on, and bailed more, on way rockier shit).

akirizu wrote:
The carbon is still a structural part of the fork whether its a wrap or not. It's not like they made a full sized aluminum version and then wrapped it with carbon.

People don't realize how absolutely thin the aluminum is in dorado forks.

O+
Posted: Aug 3, 2011 at 12:54 Quote
rffr wrote:
themontajew wrote:

You have no idea how insanely tough fork guards are. Let's put it this way, the fork guards on my shivers are WAAAAY tougher than the lowers on my 888's were. I never ever got even a scratch on the lowers on my shivers, but my 888's look like they got beat down with a sledge hammer (and I rode my bike harder with my shivers on, and bailed more, on way rockier shit).

akirizu wrote:

Ya it's just a tubed sleeve to stop the oil from touching the carbon.

Posted: Aug 3, 2011 at 15:44 Quote
akirizu wrote:
rffr wrote:
themontajew wrote:

akirizu wrote:

Still helps the strength,but it's pointless i don't and wont ever trust carbon fiber well maybe for head set spacers.

Posted: Aug 3, 2011 at 21:36 Quote
marquis wrote:
akirizu wrote:
rffr wrote:

Still helps the strength,but it's pointless i don't and wont ever trust carbon fiber well maybe for head set spacers.

It adds probably no more than 5% of strength. It's probably double the thickness of a soda can.

Posted: Aug 3, 2011 at 22:13 Quote
akirizu wrote:
themontajew wrote:

My stanctions were flawless when I sold that dorado the other day and I was probably the 3rd owner of it. The fork guards take a lot of abuse and they wrap around to all the exposed areas minus the rear so as long as you don't lean your bike up against a rock and it rolls backwards and manages to hit the fork just right, you'll never scratch them. The only areas on my old super T or boxxer that ever got messed up are the drop outs and the upper stanctions for whatever reason. So the fork wouldn't actually leak or anything unless I went into the 6+ travel range which wasn't often because I run my suspension stiff.
Like I said, the back side of my lowers 888 looks like shit from crashes.....

Posted: Aug 4, 2011 at 8:43 Quote
the back side of my 888s look perfectly fine after 4 full seasons, and I ride/crash on rocky nastiness all the time.
I'm not worried about the stanchions on my Dorado. the fork guards cover a fair amount of real estate, and the risks are worth the reward.

O+
Posted: Aug 4, 2011 at 11:29 Quote
themontajew wrote:
akirizu wrote:
themontajew wrote:

That doesn't even make sense, the rear is the least likely exposed place to get hit. There's a whole wheel in the way and 99% of the time the bike is moving forwards even during a crash.

Posted: Aug 4, 2011 at 13:28 Quote
akirizu wrote:
themontajew wrote:
akirizu wrote:

That doesn't even make sense, the rear is the least likely exposed place to get hit. There's a whole wheel in the way and 99% of the time the bike is moving forwards even during a crash.

He was being sarcastic.... The whole point in saying, since the back side is the only part on USD forks capable of being scratched, it doesn't happen. That is why he was sarcastic and said the back side of his 888's are messed up.

O+
Posted: Aug 4, 2011 at 15:25 Quote
rffr wrote:
akirizu wrote:
themontajew wrote:

He was being sarcastic.... The whole point in saying, since the back side is the only part on USD forks capable of being scratched, it doesn't happen. That is why he was sarcastic and said the back side of his 888's are messed up.

I sure hope so.

Just got my new(used) 2010 Dorado Pro mounted though. Fuk ya.

Link: https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/6951063/

Something I noticed compared to my boxxer when I had both off the bike.... Dorado is slightly lighter and weight is evenly distributed, Boxxer is top heavy. Dorado is also beefy as hell.

Posted: Aug 4, 2011 at 17:55 Quote
akirizu wrote:
rffr wrote:
akirizu wrote:

I sure hope so.

Just got my new(used) 2010 Dorado Pro mounted though. Fuk ya.

Link: https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/6951063/

Something I noticed compared to my boxxer when I had both off the bike.... Dorado is slightly lighter and weight is evenly distributed, Boxxer is top heavy. Dorado is also beefy as hell.

Good stuff man. I've not been lucky enough to ride a newer gen USD fork. I'm content with my shivers, and now my 888's are sold, the next set will probably be some avy's (which cost the same as the newer aluminum dorados), or if I wait long enough, I'll pick up some new gen shivers when they come out =]

I'm not really a weight whore, but I do have to admit, the weight of the 888's compared to the shivers was def nice on the hiking side of things. Either way I run profile DJ crank arms so it's not like weight is a massive consideration on my part. I like stuff that lasts a decade or longer, so I can just go out, beat the shit out of the bike, and keep doing so year after year.

Dorados have proven to be able to be beaten for many many years, so we shall see how this new gen of dorados does. Odds are, the new dorados will last a decade as well.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.035886
Mobile Version of Website