Powered by Outside

Retro 1994 GT Zaskar

PB Forum :: GT
Retro 1994 GT Zaskar
Posted: Jul 27, 2016 at 11:19 Quote
Hey there. Found this thread as was looking for a new bike after years out of it. Was going new then sought out my old 93 zaskar which I'd sold to my sister for my nephew.. who has left it in a shed covered in crap for 15 years! Anyway just picked it up and chucked him 50 quid for it... needs a lot of work. And cash. Lots of cash

Posted: Jul 27, 2016 at 16:32 Quote
Jimbobaggins wrote:
Hey there. Found this thread as was looking for a new bike after years out of it. Was going new then sought out my old 93 zaskar which I'd sold to my sister for my nephew.. who has left it in a shed covered in crap for 15 years! Anyway just picked it up and chucked him 50 quid for it... needs a lot of work. And cash. Lots of cash
If you want to document the restoration, I'd love to see the thread. Probably others would as well.

Posted: Aug 2, 2016 at 5:29 Quote
thumsup wrote:
Jimbobaggins wrote:
If you want to document the restoration, I'd love to see the thread. Probably others would as well.
yeah, the '93 zaskar is starting to become quite uncommon (unless its a late 93 made 94 model) either way £50 is about half what the frame alone is worth so thats really not bad, and im assuming theres some parts on it that you could sell to give you a few extra quid/bucks for upgrades. drop me a message if you'd like any advice

sean Smile

Posted: Aug 16, 2016 at 13:52 Quote
i've aquired a bunch of different forks with various axle to crown lengths to decide which are best suited. Ideally i want one pair of suspension forks and one pair of rigid forks tup

from left to right

-Onza Fly Guy, 430mm

-On one cro/mo, 420mm

-1995 pace rc35 MXD, 430mm

-1999 marzocchi bomber z2 superfly, 440mm

-Surly instigator 450mm

Retro ish selection of forks. suspension and rigid. from left to right 1 Onza Flyguy 2 On One Cro mo 3 1995 Pace RC35MXC 4 1999 Marzocchi Bomber Z2 Superfly 5 Surly Instigator

onza fluy guy on one fro mo surly instigator

Sean

Posted: Aug 21, 2016 at 6:08 Quote
I've tried the onza forks and they dont ride as well as steel forks, they're too stiff. i didnt think they looked right either

bought a pair of onza canis too Smile

Onza Canis 26 x 2.25 for the zaskar

1994 GT Zaskar Aqua onza fluy guy forks

1994 GT Zaskar Aqua onza fluy guy forks

Posted: Oct 30, 2016 at 4:31 Quote
The pace RC35 MXC forks Big Grin . very nice condition and are fitted with upgraded titanium bolts and bosses. Ive had several pace forks b4 but never an rc35 so i was kinda excited by these. The length is 430mm, so in between the length of the bomber and the on one rigid fork
RETRO 1995 Pace RC35 MXC titanium fork

but they do sag a fair bit, so i took the legs off and found that an elastomer in each leg has crumbled away
fixing elastomer dampeners in a 1995 pace rc35 mxc fork

luckilly i got some genuine spares

jobs a good un

Posted: Nov 1, 2016 at 2:18 Quote
Some pictures of the bike. Handlebars are easton monkey lite which i stripped the lacquer and graphics from, the stem is a 90s kore aheadstem

1994 GT Zaskar Aqua Turquoise Retro

Posted: Nov 1, 2016 at 13:05 Quote
Honest.ly, that looks just reeeet!

Leave it like that as ypu cannot perfect perfection Wink

Posted: Nov 6, 2016 at 11:27 Quote
Oh I am SO jealous! Your bike is a work of art. The only bad thing I can think of is if it gets scratched you might cry. It is so pretty I wouldn't want to ride it anywhere but the street!

Posted: Nov 10, 2016 at 9:17 Quote
The GT water bottle sends it over the top. Awesome.

Posted: Nov 10, 2016 at 11:18 Quote
Would it be possible to fit disc brakes on youre bike?

Posted: Nov 10, 2016 at 15:28 Quote
Cheers guys,
yeah disks are possible, Can get adapters front and rear. Think id be stuck with a 90s front disk if i wanted to run them on the pace forks. The v brakes are so strong though that fitting even modern hydros wouldn't be much of an upgrade. Id just be adding weight (and of course stripping the bike of its retro charm)

Posted: Nov 10, 2016 at 18:34 Quote
sean-s-1991 wrote:
Cheers guys,
yeah disks are possible, Can get adapters front and rear. Think id be stuck with a 90s front disk if i wanted to run them on the pace forks. The v brakes are so strong though that fitting even modern hydros wouldn't be much of an upgrade. Id just be adding weight (and of course stripping the bike of its retro charm)

Ah ok. This post is so inspiring. I want an old Kona now.

Posted: Dec 18, 2016 at 2:04 Quote
been riding with the surly's lately, i like the look but they are too long really. ive inverted the stem but the head angle still feels a bit slack. ive switched back to the renthal bars because they just look 'right' with these forks

1994 Zaskar Aqua Turquoise

1994 Zaskar Aqua Turquoise

Posted: Feb 9, 2017 at 13:56 Quote
Just to answer the question about the mbuk zaskar mr large I still own it since buying it from your brother in 2010

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.051140
Mobile Version of Website