Powered by Outside

Painting The Rims Of Your bike??

PB Forum :: Beginners
Painting The Rims Of Your bike??
Posted: Jun 1, 2008 at 11:57 Quote
ill try it the winter, because i don't want to waste 3+ days of riding painting my rims.

Posted: Jun 1, 2008 at 11:58 Quote
i know ppl who will professionally paint rims the look mint Razz and many other parts too

Posted: Jun 2, 2008 at 18:05 Quote
i don't mean to sound like a know-it-all, but seriously, all these comments (i read all 6 pages) are mostly BS.

i went to home hardware, bought some 120grit sand paper, beuti tone primer and red, and went home.

1. sand down rim lightly, and a bit harder where any scratches are
2. tape off spokes to where they cross
3. put newspaper/garbage bag/paper towels around hub and stuff so it covers spokestoo
4. put holes in center of 2 paper plates, one on each side to protect hub
5. listen to somebody else's cleaning instructions, i never do it
6. prime the rim, make sure to do thin coats to prevent dripping and don't spray too long in one spot
7. sand down any bumbs or anything in the primer once dry, just to make it smooth (use sandpaper thats not very rough)
8. first coat of colour, thin
9. second coat of colour, when the first coat is fairly dry
10. 3rd coat (optional)
11. clear coat, if you do 2 coats of clear on the rim it protects from scratches and helps when putting tires on
12. GO RIDE YOUR FRICKEN BIKE!

who cares if paint layers add weight, its barely anything and you'll be thankful in the future. i painted my buddy's front wheel white, and did those steps i told you. not one single scratch on it for a month and i also painted mine red but did a bad job. follow those steps and you'll be happy

Posted: Jun 7, 2008 at 19:11 Quote
bmxzach wrote:
i don't mean to sound like a know-it-all, but seriously, all these comments (i read all 6 pages) are mostly BS.

i went to home hardware, bought some 120grit sand paper, beuti tone primer and red, and went home.

3. put newspaper/garbage bag/paper towels around hub and stuff so it covers spokestoo
6. prime the rim, make sure to do thin coats to prevent dripping and don't spray too long in one spot
7. sand down any bumbs or anything in the primer once dry, just to make it smooth (use sandpaper thats not very rough)
10. 3rd coat (optional)
11. clear coat, if you do 2 coats of clear on the rim it protects from scratches and helps when putting tires on

who cares if paint layers add weight, its barely anything and you'll be thankful in the future. i painted my buddy's front wheel white, and did those steps i told you. not one single scratch on it for a month and i also painted mine red but did a bad job. follow those steps and you'll be happy

but, if people have anodized rims (most mtbs) this doesnt work good, they need to be deanodized for the paint to properly stick, except that your directions are perfect

Posted: Jun 7, 2008 at 19:18 Quote
kirk724 wrote:
bmxzach wrote:

10. 3rd coat (optional)

but, if people have anodized rims (most mtbs) this doesnt work good, they need to be deanodized for the paint to properly stick, except that your directions are perfect

deanodized or sanded very well for a long time with metal sand paper. My friend did is so he could polish his xtr shifter(dont ask)

Posted: Jun 7, 2008 at 19:23 Quote
deanodized or sanded very well for a long time with metal sand paper. My friend did is so he could polish his xtr shifter(dont ask)[/Quote]

lol ya that too..but sanding anodized takes a longgggggg time

Posted: Jun 8, 2008 at 22:38 Quote
i sanded mine with a dremal tool and it took me a half hour for both yea yea!

Posted: Jun 9, 2008 at 9:19 Quote
rockstar33 wrote:
i sanded mine with a dremal tool and it took me a half hour for both yea yea!

Thats a pretty good idea. What color did u paint them?

Posted: Jul 18, 2008 at 13:57 Quote
I am in the process of painting one of my rims white for the first time right now, heres what im doing.

1. Sand down the rim.

2. 1 coat of primer.

3. 3-4 thin layers of white spray paint, not sure what kind, probably automotive I don't know yet.

5. 2 layers of clear coat, I prefer the gloss.

I have not disassembled my rim. I just taped the spokes off very carefully with painters tape. Its going well so far. My friend did the exact same thing to his bars last year and they have not chipped at all.

Cheers Beer Beer

**Edit**

Ok ive finished painting everthing and it looks great, now im gunna tell you all the easiest paint to use. Just go out and find some TREMCLAD RUST PAINT, you dont need primer or clear coat, just sand, spray and your done. The only downside is that you have to wait 24hours between coats, but you dont need any other paint. And you can buy it with a gloss finish too.

Posted: Jul 18, 2008 at 14:04 Quote
spray paint, dissassemble your wheel then do light even coats on the rim be patient and make sure to do it lightly, this way it doesn't run.

Posted: Sep 19, 2008 at 12:19 Quote
alright guys.. do u have to sand ur rim???

Posted: Sep 19, 2008 at 19:26 Quote
streetking77 wrote:
alright guys.. do u have to sand ur rim???
ya, if ur rim is painted sand it, if its anodized deanodize it then sand it

Posted: Sep 19, 2008 at 19:43 Quote
It always looks so shitty when people try to paint a rim without unlacing the wheel.

Posted: Sep 19, 2008 at 19:59 Quote
jason222bike wrote:
It always looks so shitty when people try to paint a rim without unlacing the wheel.

it depends how good of a job they do on the typing

Posted: Sep 19, 2008 at 20:01 Quote
bmxzach wrote:
jason222bike wrote:

it depends how good of a job they do on the typing
???Very confused Very confused Very confused

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.023733
Mobile Version of Website