Powered by Outside

Onyx Vesper Hub Problems

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 19:11 Quote
So I did get Onyx Vesper hubs with The ceramic bearing upgrade.. should have the wheelset soon!! I hope they last a long time!!

Posted: Aug 27, 2022 at 14:02 Quote
dgw7000 wrote:
May have to cancel my onyx Vesper Hubs after reading all the negative comments.. Chris King has an eight week waiting list!! Hadley may be an option. DT swiss have always been the most reliable for me looking for real quality!!

I have vespers on my enduro. I’m 175 pounds and Im kind of a weight weenie about my bike. Im borderline liking my rear vesper over other hubs. Would I get them again? -not sure. And if the vespers were just as light as Hydra then it would be no question. And if I wasn’t such a weight weenie then I’d get the classic.
The only real downside of the rear vesper (I’ve had them for a year) is the flex in the big couple gears. Not noticeable when riding but so know it’s there. If I was heavier, I would recommend a classic rear and vesper front. I think the front vesper is fine for enduro and DH for everyone except the heaviest of riders.

Posted: Dec 30, 2022 at 22:37 Quote
Did anybody had an issue with fast wearing bearings on Vesper?

I have Vesper third season now and I am on the third bearing on non-drive side. I have replaced all bearings except the middle one and they roll quite grity after not even 2 months again. Even the freewheel has quite a drag. I have checked the frame axle and the hub axle and it does not look bent or damaged. Any thoughts?

Posted: Jan 22, 2023 at 18:02 Quote
Getting ready to service my hub I’ll let you know!!

Posted: Feb 12, 2023 at 20:03 Quote
Is an Onyx front hub worth the money? For the rear I understand, but the front?

Posted: Feb 13, 2023 at 7:01 Quote
Rear I would say yes, for the front I went with a Hope Pro4.

Posted: Feb 13, 2023 at 9:22 Quote
nicktapias wrote:
Yeah I don't feel like the "silence" factor is relevant for front. Just doesn't seem like there's anything that differentiates front hubs from manufacturers.

I like what I'm reading about the Classics though for rear hub (.....given the weight issues on a Vesper of which I'm 225#).

Posted: Feb 13, 2023 at 13:47 Quote
cmi85 wrote:
nicktapias wrote:
Yeah I don't feel like the "silence" factor is relevant for front. Just doesn't seem like there's anything that differentiates front hubs from manufacturers.

I like what I'm reading about the Classics though for rear hub (.....given the weight issues on a Vesper of which I'm 225#).

Classic hubs come stock with better bearings on the front, and a preload adjustment. Those two things alone make the front classic the hubs to get in my opinion, compared to a Vesper, or Hope, or most others.

O+
Posted: Mar 12, 2023 at 18:09 Quote
Yesterday when I was riding it seems like my free hub seized up.

It was a very steep climb and I was in my granny and putting down a lot of power and then it made a weird crunchy noise and I couldn't pedal, dropped chain, etc.

The cassette was like fixed meaning if I pedaled backwards the wheel would go backwards. I took it apart when I got home and without the free hub on, the wheel spins fine but when I put the free hub back on the hub its like stuck and doesn't spin freely. Nothing looked weird, out of place or broken I can spin it with a lot of force but it stops itsself in like a quarter rotation. Anyone had something like this happen?

Edit: Nvm ended up fully disassembling it and this baby is toast.

Posted: Mar 13, 2023 at 18:03 Quote
Jtfranson wrote:

It was a very steep climb and I was in my granny and putting down a lot of power and then it made a weird crunchy noise and I couldn't pedal, dropped chain, etc.

The cassette was like fixed meaning if I pedaled backwards the wheel would go backwards. I took it apart when I got home and without the free hub on, the wheel spins fine but when I put the free hub back on the hub its like stuck and doesn't spin freely. Nothing looked weird, out of place or broken I can spin it with a lot of force but it stops itsself in like a quarter rotation. Anyone had something like this happen?

Curious what did you find when you took it apart? Any photos, etc?

Posted: Mar 13, 2023 at 18:59 Quote
BryanBobo wrote:
Where's my "This Thread Is Useless Without Pics!" gif?!

O+
Posted: Mar 13, 2023 at 20:57 Quote
BryanBobo wrote:
Jtfranson wrote:

photo

The sprag clutch is mangled

Posted: Mar 13, 2023 at 22:10 Quote
Holy hell!! What did Onyx say? My God.
Did you try some duct tape before emailing them? That stuff fixes everything.

Man that is not a good look for the Vesper. Glad I caved and ordered the Classics

Jtfranson wrote:
BryanBobo wrote:
Jtfranson wrote:

photo

O+
Posted: Mar 13, 2023 at 22:34 Quote
cmi85 wrote:
Holy hell!! What did Onyx say? My God.
Did you try some duct tape before emailing them? That stuff fixes everything.

Man that is not a good look for the Vesper. Glad I caved and ordered the Classics

Jtfranson wrote:
BryanBobo wrote:

photo

Ya idk yet. We’ll see I’m hopeful they’ll get it sorted for me.

Posted: May 1, 2023 at 3:58 Quote
My onyx Vesper hubs have been bulletproof so far. I did take the rear hub part serviced the ceramic bearings along with the sprags and definitely set the preload to the correct adjustment. Remember bearings can be serviced. Don’t need to always replace them. Water can be an issue so it’s ever submerged in water. The rear vesper definitely needs more care than most hubs.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.039744
Mobile Version of Website