Powered by Outside

Kona Process X Thread

PB Forum :: Kona
Kona Process X Thread
O+
Posted: May 8, 2024 at 22:53 Quote
chrisrobin wrote:
rocky-x wrote:
Howdy, I'm going to try out a coil shock for the first time on my '22 Process X and here's what I've got so far. I'm going to go with a RS Super Deluxe Coil Ultimate RC2T with hydraulic bottom out.
- I want the 205x62.5 TRUNNION, correct?

Heres what I crunched out from Lost Co's spring calculator:
Rider Weight (lbs) 205
Wheel Travel (mm) 162
Shock Stroke (mm) 62.5
Result: 527
- So should I start with a 550lb spring? I am a fairly aggressive rider.

I'm going with a Rockshox spring, here are the specs
Length 151mm
Travel 57.5-65mm
- Is that correct?

Thanks for your help! I have struggled with this piggie after coming off the Process 153 29er because I don't have the same short chainstays. haha!

Yeah 205x65 will be fine and those RS spring specs are fine too. The extra 2.5mm won't make a difference.

As for the 550lbs spring... I dunno. I'm a little heavier than you and when I had initially tried a 500 spring, I found it too stiff. Try it and see. At least springs are cheap.

Re: 205x65, is your X currently configured like this? I have a 205x65 with a 2.5mm spacer to make the stroke length 62.5mm. I am approaching rebuild time on my shock ('23 RS SDUcoil) and was wondering whether I could take it out without any catastrophic damage to the frame. It seems like we weigh about the same so I imagine that the kinematics would be similar...

Re: the other fellow asking about coil weights, I'm ~185 kitted up and threw a 500lb coil on and love it. It's a little harsh at slower speeds but once you open it up she's smooooooth. It's all preference and what you want to do with it.

O+
Posted: Jun 2, 2024 at 9:15 Quote
zavierv wrote:

Re: 205x65, is your X currently configured like this? I have a 205x65 with a 2.5mm spacer to make the stroke length 62.5mm. I am approaching rebuild time on my shock ('23 RS SDUcoil) and was wondering whether I could take it out without any catastrophic damage to the frame. It seems like we weigh about the same so I imagine that the kinematics would be similar...

Re: the other fellow asking about coil weights, I'm ~185 kitted up and threw a 500lb coil on and love it. It's a little harsh at slower speeds but once you open it up she's smooooooth. It's all preference and what you want to do with it.

Yeah. I have an Ohlins TTX22m coil shock 205x65 on mine. First, with the shock removed the frame still goes deeper into the suspension. So even with a 65mm stroke shock, the seat stay brace won't smash into the seat tube.

Second, there's no way you'll ever compress a bottom out bumper to be zero mm. So you'll never actually get the full 65mm out of a coil shock.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023890
Mobile Version of Website