Powered by Outside

Sponsorship insight for all you lazy kids.

PB Forum :: Downhill
Sponsorship insight for all you lazy kids.
Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 18:31 Quote
this is so true, kids are just expecting to have things given to them instead of earning it... i worked for 6 months straight just so i could get enough money for my bike, my parents stoped buying me shit when i turned 10. ive learned the value of money.... i also work my ass off to pay the bills in my house, and then i go ride as hard as i can. kids need to realize that life doesnt give you everything, you have to work for it. if its at some part time job or out racing. i had to learn the hard way and believe me its the best way to go.

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 18:38 Quote
kawi wrote:
Really? i disagree, shouldn't be so stereotypical, i'm 15 so i apparently fall right in there? ive busted my ass just as much as anyone else, i did the 10h shifts till 2 in the morning and got up 5 hours later and worked Saturday but i guess thats pretty lazy, my knees are f*cked, ive gone months with little to no movement in my knee, and ive taken my fair share of broken bones and sprains so before you put us all into one group of lazy kids check around please.

u tell em

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 19:01 Quote
i wont lie my parents have bought me bikes, but that was back when i couldnt have a job. and even now i dont wanna become a pro i wanna ride for the ride. i dont care if i get the best stuff. besides there is so little in the U.S. (that i know of) to ride in competitions atleast around where i live. i mean theres this place called jiminy peak, and theres diablo freeride park in new york. but i personally do it for fun. but my point is the snotty 13 year olds who think that just because they can do something that so many other people can do, not only the same but better than them, they feel as though the world should be handed to them on a silver platter. but i think in the U.S. you can really work over like 30 hours a week if your in school, not to mention the fact that you cant legaly get a job till your 15 or 16. well i think thats the Mass laws.

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 19:16 Quote
ImaculantJones wrote:
besides there is so little in the U.S. (that i know of) to ride in competitions atleast around where i live.

On any given summer weekend there's at least 8-10 DH races in the US. Pretty much every hill has it's own 3-5 races series. On the east coast Diablo, Snowshoe, Mount Snow, Plattekill, and Whiteface all come to mind immediately. Then there's the Gravity East series, the US Open, NMBS. and the Mountain States Cup. There are many many more.

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 19:26 Quote
DM, I think you're forgetting the West Coast a.k.a. The Best Coast.

Northstar and Mammoth both have race series and there is CCCX-another California race series.

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 19:29 Quote
The west coast may be the best coast but only real men can take the east coast aka beast coast.

I said off the top of my head. I was thinking mostly of the east but I did throw the MSC in there for good measure.

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 19:31 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
The west coast may be the best coast but only real men can take the east coast aka beast coast.

I said off the top of my head. I was thinking mostly of the east but I did throw the MSC in there for good measure.

I know, I was just adding to the list. Plus, you do live on the East Coast...

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 19:39 Quote
you can't forget the best of the west SEA OTTER! don't tell me there are no races, there are to many go to all of them

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 19:40 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
ImaculantJones wrote:
besides there is so little in the U.S. (that i know of) to ride in competitions atleast around where i live.

On any given summer weekend there's at least 8-10 DH races in the US. Pretty much every hill has it's own 3-5 races series. On the east coast Diablo, Snowshoe, Mount Snow, Plattekill, and Whiteface all come to mind immediately. Then there's the Gravity East series, the US Open, NMBS. and the Mountain States Cup. There are many many more.

see i had no idea that those places even existed really. i think ive heard of plattekill and i think whiteface they do sound familiar but i usually just stuck with the close by places, pretty much just like jiminy peak because i dont really care alot about competitions. my point was mainly how some kids think just cause they have some talent they deserve everything. and it should go without saying that there is alot more out there than i know of, i dont even know 10 places to be very competetive at around here. and im not looking to get into a feud or anything dont get me wrong.

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 19:50 Quote
im 14 and i can see were you can get the "all young riders with good bikes are spoiled" theory but it is far from true. i dont race but have a fairly nice bike for some one my age and everyone thinks im spoiled (most of the people i ride with are) i work and paid entierly for my bike exesept for lift tickits up witch my dad covers. it would be nice to be sponcered but that would be nearly imposible for me because i am only able to go DHing about twice a season and spend the rest of my time DJing. i do have some soport from my local bike shop witch helps me get some stuff for free and free instalation on new parts.
all i have left to say is "ride like its your life and live like its your bike" not sure if that makes sence or not but it my personal saying...i can explain it if you want...Salute

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 21:53 Quote
yea i disagree with the people who say that is all 14 year olds and 15 who are spoild...i think that the kids like me who are working or have worked in order to get their bike and take care of them are the kids who deserve them and deserve the support//i mean of course there will b a couple kids who are really good and happen to b rich but thats rarely the case..

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 22:22 Quote
ok everyone who is disagreeing with this is either 14 or 15, so it is all opinoin. but from what i have seen in my town and in others in the last decade that i have been riding all the kids who have rich bikes have rich parents and are spoiled. so from what i have seen (which is alot), kids who are younder are more spioled and get the rich shit and the rest of us dont get the credit for how hard we work to strive at the riding that we do.

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 22:30 Quote
flyboy212 wrote:
yea i disagree with the people who say that is all 14 year olds and 15 who are spoild...i think that the kids like me who are working or have worked in order to get their bike and take care of them are the kids who deserve them and deserve the support//i mean of course there will b a couple kids who are really good and happen to b rich but thats rarely the case..

I hence to agree. Id say 70 % of kids under 17 rely on their parents for their bikes, race fees, safety equip, hotels etc.

Not all kids work at 16 or 17, and if they do surely dont make enough to get the bikes I see riding around.

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 22:43 Quote
I don't think this article is about how spoiled younger kids, its about how if you hand a slightly talented kid a bike without them doing any work, when it comes time that they need to work to get better, they don't know how to work and they don't get any faster.

So before you take offense to the article consider if you even are trying to be the next john tomac, and if so are you really trying as hard as you possibly can to get there, chances are, if you are then this article shouldn't offend you at all

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019064
Mobile Version of Website