Powered by Outside

Bike check for buying a used bike

PB Forum :: Specialized
Bike check for buying a used bike
Posted: Jan 1, 2009 at 20:59 Quote
ezekiel wrote:
laurie1 wrote:
There is no shortage of bikes. There are different bikes being sold every day and new ones be added. If one gets sold, move on to the next.

Exactly.

Here's a business lesson for you (tacobell) that I just noticed. When buying something, don't let the seller know that you're really interested in the product. I look and I see that your tagline is "wants the SX trail". As soon as an intelligent seller sees that, they're going to be a lot less likely to deal on the price because they know that you really want it and you'll more than likely pay the extra couple bills to get one. Just a little piece of information for the future.

alright ill keep in mind

Posted: Jan 1, 2009 at 21:01 Quote
He didn't like it would be my guess.

Posted: Jan 1, 2009 at 21:01 Quote
AqueousBeef wrote:
tacobell123 wrote:
windowlicker wrote:
If you want the SX Trail, get it. It's up to you.

i want the sx because of the price but im worried ill end up paying more then the reign in upgrades
It's not a great deal... Check CL.

craiglist? and i do it daily for bikes

Posted: Jan 1, 2009 at 21:02 Quote
AqueousBeef wrote:
He didn't like it would be my guess.

what?

Posted: Jan 1, 2009 at 21:03 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
There are so many people that ride in Cali that buying used shouldn't be a problem. If you are very worried, see if you can get your parents to front you the money and you work it off via doing chores or whatever else you do instead of getting an allowance.

the thing is my parents just added a room and did a bunch of lanscaping at our house so they dont want to spend much right now

Posted: Jan 1, 2009 at 21:04 Quote
tacobell123 wrote:
AqueousBeef wrote:
tacobell123 wrote:

i want the sx because of the price but im worried ill end up paying more then the reign in upgrades

So did you see the $600 norco 6?

Posted: Jan 1, 2009 at 21:07 Quote
AqueousBeef wrote:
tacobell123 wrote:
AqueousBeef wrote:

So did you see the $600 norco 6?

hold on ill check haha

Posted: Jan 1, 2009 at 21:08 Quote
i like the sx trail more....

O+
Posted: Jan 1, 2009 at 21:11 Quote
Here's my two cents, as a guy that's sold a good number of used but carefully maintained bikes, and sold new ones for 12 years:

- Dont panic if it gets sold. As stated before there will be more up for sale if you miss this one.

- When you go see it, check stuff that's expensive to replace yourself. Compare what needs work to what you can fix, or what you're prepared to have someone else fix. Expensive stuff might include: loose suspension pivots, leaky shocks, flat spotted wheels, worn cassette/drivetrain, hydraulic brake issues.

- Stuff that should send up a red flag: Dents (big ones), any sign of cracking in the paint or in the frame, ground down serial numbers, unusual looking damage, non-factory paint. If you see any of these, run while you can.

- Add up whats not going to work (i.e. worn tires) and take that off the asking price. Then, depending on the cost take another 5% or so out of it - that should leave you with a reasonable offer.

- If you think new might be better, the shop might let you give them what you have while you work to save the rest and pay it off. The bike will likely have to stay there until fully paid, but that way you will have a nice shiny new bike with a full warranty. That way you can lock in a good deal on a 2008, but take the time you need to pay for it.

Take that for what it's worth.

Edit: Bring a parent with you, they might not be bike experts but have had a longer amount of time to learn to recognize shifty deals.

Posted: Jan 1, 2009 at 21:15 Quote
In my opinion, save up as much money as you can until you find something on Craigslist or on here that is a better deal, in better quality and etc.

Posted: Jan 1, 2009 at 21:15 Quote
hustler wrote:
Here's my two cents, as a guy that's sold a good number of used but carefully maintained bikes, and sold new ones for 12 years:

- Dont panic if it gets sold. As stated before there will be more up for sale if you miss this one.

- When you go see it, check stuff that's expensive to replace yourself. Compare what needs work to what you can fix, or what you're prepared to have someone else fix. Expensive stuff might include: loose suspension pivots, leaky shocks, flat spotted wheels, worn cassette/drivetrain, hydraulic brake issues.

- Stuff that should send up a red flag: Dents (big ones), any sign of cracking in the paint or in the frame, ground down serial numbers, unusual looking damage, non-factory paint. If you see any of these, run while you can.

- Add up whats not going to work (i.e. worn tires) and take that off the asking price. Then, depending on the cost take another 5% or so out of it - that should leave you with a reasonable offer.

- If you think new might be better, the shop might let you give them what you have while you work to save the rest and pay it off. The bike will likely have to stay there until fully paid, but that way you will have a nice shiny new bike with a full warranty. That way you can lock in a good deal on a 2008, but take the time you need to pay for it.

Take that for what it's worth.

Edit: Bring a parent with you, they might not be bike experts but have had a longer amount of time to learn to recognize shifty deals.
i could not have said that better myself..

Posted: Jan 1, 2009 at 21:19 Quote
ok I'll save up for the reign

Posted: Jan 1, 2009 at 21:48 Quote
tacobell123 wrote:
Why?

Posted: Jan 1, 2009 at 22:02 Quote
AqueousBeef wrote:
tacobell123 wrote:
Why?
i think personal preference... the reign and the sx are both very good bikes...
they are both very versatile... id get the one that is super slacker but thats me

Posted: Jan 1, 2009 at 22:04 Quote
bsit911 wrote:
AqueousBeef wrote:
tacobell123 wrote:
Why?
i think personal preference... the reign and the sx are both very good bikes...
they are both very versatile... id get the one that is super slacker but thats me
I was talking about the Norco 6 for $600.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011289
Mobile Version of Website