Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

Show us your XC Singlespeed

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Show us your XC Singlespeed
Mod
Posted: Aug 3, 2009 at 19:28 Quote
Most people seem to be a fan of 2 to 1. I run a 2.6 to 1 - I personally can't imagine going much lower than a 2.5.

O+
Posted: Aug 3, 2009 at 19:34 Quote
t3rr1 wrote:
Most people seem to be a fan of 2 to 1. I run a 2.6 to 1 - I personally can't imagine going much lower than a 2.5.

i run 2.375 and i love it i dont think i would want anything lower or higher tbh.

FL
Posted: Aug 3, 2009 at 19:59 Quote
WasabiJim wrote:
I'm planning a build and a 2:1 gear ratio seems to be the go? 32 + 16

2:1 yes, 32x16 no. i rock the 36x18 and love it. you can maintain a way better cadance for some reason with the larger front chain ring.

O+
Posted: Aug 4, 2009 at 0:18 Quote
werts wrote:
WasabiJim wrote:
I'm planning a build and a 2:1 gear ratio seems to be the go? 32 + 16

2:1 yes, 32x16 no. i rock the 36x18 and love it. you can maintain a way better cadance for some reason with the larger front chain ring.

i am not quite shure i know exactly what cadance is but i really cant see how the size of your sprocket could effect anything but weight when in both cases you would be running the exact same ratio?

Posted: Aug 4, 2009 at 7:29 Quote
You will get more leverage on a larger chainring (just taking crank and chainring as a closed system)...

Posted: Aug 4, 2009 at 8:49 Quote
that is the avreg do it all gear i can get up and over most things without dieing lol

Posted: Aug 4, 2009 at 19:10 Quote
crazygeorge wrote:
You will get more leverage on a larger chainring (just taking crank and chainring as a closed system)...
you get more leverage from a smaller chain ring up front. the crank acts like an eazy bar for extra leverage. the bigger the difference in radius between where you apply force - the pedal, and the opposing force - the chain as dictated by the ring size, the more leverage or torque you have.

so u get more torque with a 185mm crank and 22t ring vs a 170mm crank and 44t ring given the gear ratio stays the same.

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 7:43 Quote
your ratio also greatly varies based on where you're riding. different geography means different gears

Posted: Aug 6, 2009 at 5:16 Quote
WasabiJim wrote:
crazygeorge wrote:
you get more leverage from a smaller chain ring up front. the crank acts like an eazy bar for extra leverage. the bigger the difference in radius between where you apply force - the pedal, and the opposing force - the chain as dictated by the ring size, the more leverage or torque you have.

so u get more torque with a 185mm crank and 22t ring vs a 170mm crank and 44t ring given the gear ratio stays the same.
Yes, you're right. I wasnt thinking straight! Cheers for that clarification Wink

Posted: Aug 6, 2009 at 16:25 Quote
yes it took me about as much time as it did to wrap my head around hi and lo speed compression dampening... but thats for another day

after asking some of the local shops & riders a 1.8 ratio is most popular so thats what i'm aiming for

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 3:33 Quote
make sure u dont confuse ss xc charts with road charts as that will end in tears lol

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 4:05 Quote
heres my latest ss.

I'm liking it a lot.

photo

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 13:37 Quote
konabob wrote:
heres my latest ss.

I'm liking it a lot.

photo

Nice ride! How are you tensioning your chain?I couldn't see any Horizontal dropouts on that frame in the photo and was wondering do you have an EBB and if so, how is it working out for ya? TC

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 13:44 Quote
toecutter wrote:
konabob wrote:
heres my latest ss.

I'm liking it a lot.

photo

Nice ride! How are you tensioning your chain?I couldn't see any Horizontal dropouts on that frame in the photo and was wondering do you have an EBB and if so, how is it working out for ya? TC

just looked on the website, they have an eccentric BB Wink

http://www.avantibikes.com/Single-Speed/kiss-26.aspx?bid=120

Posted: Aug 8, 2009 at 8:41 Quote
Here's my ghetto SS bike that I use for a lot of different stuff
photo

photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.647680
Mobile Version of Website