Trek session 88 problems

PB Forum :: Downhill
Trek session 88 problems
Posted: Apr 20, 2009 at 12:34 Quote
Still, doesnt mean they become uber common knowledge! they are all pretty sketch though, better, steeper, more savage stuffs off pleney.

Posted: Apr 21, 2009 at 5:07 Quote
Morzine Schmorzine - WTF has all this track stuff got to do with Trek Session 88 problems?

Posted: Apr 21, 2009 at 5:46 Quote
nyterider wrote:
andyp1981 wrote:
nyterider wrote:
I think next time you have a problem with your bike, phone the company, get your bike shop to phone reps. I think its bullshit that people come on here and show all there busted up frames and shit and then wine about it. Companys hate that, trust me I know, I've had shit break and you just phone them up and explain your situation and usually they will help you out. Bitching online wont help.

i tried that first and got no were
Then that is very unfortunate and something you will have to live with, the world can be a cruel place. If you tried that first, why did you think coming on pinkbike and posting pictures and asking for advice would work. I dont know if you have it where you live, but did you purcahse Trek Red Shield Protection Plan? One of the thing it covers is defects in materials, workmanship or breakdown due to certain normal wear and tear?

do you receive a paycheck from trek mr trek shield protection plan?

Posted: Apr 21, 2009 at 5:48 Quote
Keit wrote:
nyterider wrote:
Then that is very unfortunate and something you will have to live with, the world can be a cruel place. If you tried that first, why did you think coming on pinkbike and posting pictures and asking for advice would work. I dont know if you have it where you live, but did you purcahse Trek Red Shield Protection Plan? One of the thing it covers is defects in materials, workmanship or breakdown due to certain normal wear and tear?

do you receive a paycheck from trek mr trek shield protection plan?
lol

Posted: Apr 21, 2009 at 6:02 Quote
sorry the burning hound failed = double post

Posted: Apr 21, 2009 at 7:37 Quote
So let me get this right, trek are not replacing the dented frames at all? Or is there a fee? If so what is this fee? (In the UK)

My trek is so far fine, frame is totally undented, do I get out whilst I can before I am stuck with some ruined frame?

Posted: Apr 21, 2009 at 7:40 Quote
Joeyy wrote:
So let me get this right, trek are not replacing the dented frames at all? Or is there a fee? If so what is this fee? (In the UK)

My trek is so far fine, frame is totally undented, do I get out whilst I can before I am stuck with some ruined frame?

no and in all honesty i dont see why they should have too.

you could use an old tyre on the downtube to help protect your frame though.

Posted: Apr 21, 2009 at 7:45 Quote
marquis wrote:
Joeyy wrote:

no and in all honesty i dont see why they should have too.

you could use an old tyre on the downtube to help protect your frame though.

Or that sticky plastic stuff. it's nice for cable rub too. you can get many thin sheets of it at dirtbike shops for cheap, or the thicker one that costs more. i think some bike shops carry it too, but it's more expensive for some reason.

Posted: Apr 21, 2009 at 7:48 Quote
Never thought the rhetoric over the Session frame would get this bad. Treks biggest problem was the size of release or "hype" for lack of a better term. Wilsons dent on the downtube, though the powder coat and "downtube protection sticker" do help. I'm sure that most others, Socom, Sunn, etc would lose in the rock vs downtube game.

And, would you really have changed your mind over the Session if Trek put an FRO badge on it......rrrrright. Warrenties are for manufacturing defects, not riding incidents. Would you expect *insert car brand here* to give you a new car if you crash it.

Posted: Apr 21, 2009 at 7:57 Quote
Price for a replacement frame from denting from trek is £1300.

ive spoken to Trek UK, they werent dicks at all, really nice guy on the phone, said that he would look into any other issues and keep track on how many they pick up on etc.

Posted: Apr 21, 2009 at 7:58 Quote
mr-wilson wrote:
Never thought the rhetoric over the Session frame would get this bad. Treks biggest problem was the size of release or "hype" for lack of a better term. Wilsons dent on the downtube, though the powder coat and "downtube protection sticker" do help. I'm sure that most others, Socom, Sunn, etc would lose in the rock vs downtube game.

And, would you really have changed your mind over the Session if Trek put an FRO badge on it......rrrrright. Warrenties are for manufacturing defects, not riding incidents. Would you expect *insert car brand here* to give you a new car if you crash it.

Well said that man!

My old Nomad frame had some huge dents in the downtube from flying rocks, never caused any issues and besides, its a mountain bike designed to be used off road, in the real world that means you gotta expect some trail/rock/frame interface damage!
Get a road bike and ride the road if you can't take what the trail throws at you.

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 at 8:27 Quote
really of subject, but is the session 88 FR and the session 88 DH made from the same tubing for the frame?

Mod
Posted: Apr 21, 2009 at 8:38 Quote
callumm wrote:
really of subject, but is the session 88 FR and the session 88 DH made from the same tubing for the frame?

Yes, both use Alpha Red aluminum. The scale reflects the materials utilized in the frame's construction. Bontrager parts are by no means the lightest components on the market, somewhere in the middle if you ask me and the Session 88 DH weighs like 37 pounds or something. Obviously, they stretched their metal and thinned out the tubes. Seems like another Cannondale…

Posted: Apr 21, 2009 at 9:20 Quote
Keit wrote:
andyp1981 wrote:
what would happen if a dent broke threw the downtube and made a hole or split the metal? would trek just say it was unlucky
yup and to be fair they would offer a kind of "cheap" replacement part.

basically if it breaks and the surface of the break remains the natural tone of the metal it is a fail. if the surface of the break is whitish ie lighter than the tone of the metal then it was exposed to "abnormal" pressures and snapped and it is not a warranty issue.

if the frame gets hit by something and is subsequently damaged that is wear and tear

in all fairness if they replaced every dint then they would go broke

and if you ride long enough this will happen.

my second big hit got two massive dents in one day; two and from work and on each way i collided with a customer. the guy in the morning was on a racer and there wasn't much left of his front end; anyway both dents were caused by the rubber frame protector of my marzo forks. the frame later failed but at the other end

long story short; depends on where the dents are to cause structural weakness

this one here is most likely not going to cause any further issues (disclaimer right here!!!)
Same with my Big hit 2005 got to take the bumper to touch the downtube, anyways i took the doublke crown off for a single so no more problem, but anyways back to the topic, my frame did'nt snap ore nothing and it was dented like 3 years ago... So I dont think its a problem.

Posted: Apr 21, 2009 at 9:42 Quote
Blimey! £1300 isn't cheap at all. You guys think I should stay with it or sell up and get a glory/224?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020488
Mobile Version of Website