Powered by Outside

Bike Painting Guides and Pictures of Your Work

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Bike Painting Guides and Pictures of Your Work
Posted: Jan 22, 2015 at 22:50 Quote
I have made Places to spray with PVC and plastic sheeting. can put it anywhere and will keep your stuff free of dust.

Posted: Jan 23, 2015 at 8:56 Quote
Don't do it if your married.
My wife was none to happy.

Posted: Jan 24, 2015 at 2:43 Quote
Now with stickers and sanded badge... I think it turned out quite okay. Have started to think that maybe I should get a firm to clear coat it for me.
Got some new Specialized and SX-trail stickers for the repainted frame

Posted: Jan 24, 2015 at 3:52 Quote
mankebab wrote:
Now with stickers and sanded badge... I think it turned out quite okay. Have started to think that maybe I should get a firm to clear coat it for me.

You done a great job.. Looks really nice..
Why don't you clear coat it??

Posted: Jan 24, 2015 at 6:07 Quote
mankebab wrote:

Didn't like it much before the stickers and the black linings came on, but now it looks awesome! Great job man!

Posted: Jan 24, 2015 at 6:10 Quote
Is the rear end going to be orange as well, btw? and what fork colour are you going to use (black or orange I hope)?

Posted: Jan 24, 2015 at 6:11 Quote
slope wrote:
Don't do it if your married.
My wife was none to happy.

HAHA xD

Posted: Jan 27, 2015 at 17:45 Quote
first time posting in this thread, i have automotive prep/paint experience and me and my buddy were thinking about respraying his sx trail, i think base/clear is too soft and would scratch too easily for a mtn bike, has anyone ever tried gel coat or epoxy paint? and if so how has it held up?

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 3:53 Quote
whitebullit wrote:
first time posting in this thread, i have automotive prep/paint experience and me and my buddy were thinking about respraying his sx trail, i think base/clear is too soft and would scratch too easily for a mtn bike, has anyone ever tried gel coat or epoxy paint? and if so how has it held up?

Most of the top coat paints I use are 2pk polyurethane or 2pk acrylic.. And then use a polysiloxane for the lacquer..
Most epoxys I use are primers.. Don't know anything about gel paints except for wifey nail art..

If you have automotive experience use that type of car paint.. Works for cars...

Sorry can't be much help..

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 9:08 Quote
https://i.imgur.com/wTvwfUg.png

Personally I would have done it like that so it curves and is somewhat more natrual like the froont end.

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 9:53 Quote
jackstack wrote:

Personally I would have done it like that so it curves and is somewhat more natrual like the froont end.

I see your point but it would have been a bitch to mask and the black line would have been even worse to get in place. This works for the rest of my plans for the paint job. But thanks for you input

Posted: Jan 29, 2015 at 6:13 Quote
mankebab wrote:
jackstack wrote:

I see your point but it would have been a bitch to mask and the black line would have been even worse to get in place. This works for the rest of my plans for the paint job. But thanks for you input

Not related to this conversation, but as I asked some posts up; what color are you going to use on your fork and rear triangle?

Posted: Jan 29, 2015 at 6:49 Quote
HaakonJohansen wrote:
mankebab wrote:
jackstack wrote:

Not related to this conversation, but as I asked some posts up; what color are you going to use on your fork and rear triangle?

The back of the frame will be raw. Orange FSR, specialized stickers and maybe something black. I will also anodized all the bolts black or raw. Was thinking about having some red parts but I'm slowly moving away from that idea. About the fork: at the moment I have a Fox 36 180, it's white and pretty worn. If I keep it I will paint it matte black. However, it's likely that I'll buy a Marzocchi 55 fork to replace the fox... and they come in black.

Posted: Jan 29, 2015 at 7:11 Quote
mankebab wrote:
HaakonJohansen wrote:
mankebab wrote:

The back of the frame will be raw. Orange FSR, specialized stickers and maybe something black. I will also anodized all the bolts black or raw. Was thinking about having some red parts but I'm slowly moving away from that idea. About the fork: at the moment I have a Fox 36 180, it's white and pretty worn. If I keep it I will paint it matte black. However, it's likely that I'll buy a Marzocchi 55 fork to replace the fox... and they come in black.

the 55 is a sick fork, great price too. i really love mine.

Posted: Jan 29, 2015 at 7:26 Quote
I have been marzocchi fan-boy for many years now. If I could just find a way to justify buying a new fork instead of fixing the one I got ;-)

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016925
Mobile Version of Website