Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Posted: Mar 20, 2019 at 2:35 Quote
Arierep wrote:
pigman65 wrote:
Arierep wrote:
Which size would you recommend for someone 184cm tall with a 33" inseam?
Thanks
Exactly the same sizes as me, Large

Any more opinions on this?
Thanks

I’m the same size as you but I run an xl sentinel, I do have a +2” ape index though. It also comes down to how you want the bike to ride, if you want it to be a bit more playful and easier to throw around then I’d say large, if you want a bike to race or ride as fast as possible then maybe go xl. Would be best obviously if you could test ride them.

Posted: Mar 20, 2019 at 3:10 Quote
Regarding ape index, might be worth to mention that, being 184cm tall, I have a 195cm span.

On your XL, do you feel you have to ride overly over the front? I feel this on my 500mm reach bike. But going straight over crazy rock gardens, you can't beat that.

Maybe a L with a +5mm reach headset might be the perfect balance?

Posted: Mar 20, 2019 at 5:11 Quote
Arierep wrote:
Regarding ape index, might be worth to mention that, being 184cm tall, I have a 195cm span.

On your XL, do you feel you have to ride overly over the front? I feel this on my 500mm reach bike. But going straight over crazy rock gardens, you can't beat that.

Not massively, first couple of rides I did have to make a bit of a conscious effort to get my weight slightly forward, previous bike was a 2016 patrol in large. but I don’t notice it and don’t have to think about it at all now. I’ve never found the length of the bike a disadvantage and we have some tight awkward stuff in Scotland!

Posted: Mar 20, 2019 at 6:26 Quote
groghunter wrote:
Buggyr333 wrote:
Also running 0 spacers (DPX2). Find it much better than the stock setting, still don't feel like I'm blowing through my travel. I weigh 230lb geared up and running 35% (23mm) sag. Have not felt the shock bottom or blown the o-ring off of the stanchion yet. Gonna go coil next.

FWIW, the shock on these bikes is travel limited, so you physically can't blow the o ring off. Depressurize the shock and squish it to full travel, you'll see what I mean. Not to say you're bottoming out, just don't trust that as a sign you aren't.

I thought that was only the case for the Sentinel, I am on a patrol. The stanchion measures 65mm.

Posted: Mar 20, 2019 at 7:21 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
groghunter wrote:
Buggyr333 wrote:
Also running 0 spacers (DPX2). Find it much better than the stock setting, still don't feel like I'm blowing through my travel. I weigh 230lb geared up and running 35% (23mm) sag. Have not felt the shock bottom or blown the o-ring off of the stanchion yet. Gonna go coil next.

FWIW, the shock on these bikes is travel limited, so you physically can't blow the o ring off. Depressurize the shock and squish it to full travel, you'll see what I mean. Not to say you're bottoming out, just don't trust that as a sign you aren't.

I thought that was only the case for the Sentinel, I am on a patrol. The stanchion measures 65mm.

I thought it was the case on both. I'll say this, I know for a fact I hard bottomed mine on the last ride, and the o ring did not leave the stanchion.

O+
Posted: Mar 20, 2019 at 16:09 Quote
ikickbadgers wrote:
Arierep wrote:

Not massively, first couple of rides I did have to make a bit of a conscious effort to get my weight slightly forward, previous bike was a 2016 patrol in large. but I don’t notice it and don’t have to think about it at all now. I’ve never found the length of the bike a disadvantage and we have some tight awkward stuff in Scotland!

I'm 186, no idea what my armspan is. Have an XL and wouldn't consider sizing down due to the climbing comfort I have with the XL, but I was previously on a tiny old gen Spartan L, so I might be biased a bit.

O+
Posted: Mar 20, 2019 at 16:21 Quote
Arierep wrote:

I would definitely get at least an XL. I am 177cm and ride a large. I have ridden an XL as well and it felt fine too

Posted: Mar 20, 2019 at 21:08 Quote
Has anyone here went from the 2018 Scout to the Patrol or Perhaps Smuggler? I have been on my Scout since November 2017 and absolutely love it, but considering a Patrol and a hardtail for my xc stuff(my current HT is clapped out). I am curious what people experienced with the switch in terms of all mountain riding. For reference, I have ridden the Sentinel and outside of the bike park its just not for me. I didn't like the feel of the wheelbase and feel on tight corners. Here is my Scout as it's built now.

Admiring my transition Scout while shooting a race in Arizona. December 2018 while shooting the Dawn To Dusk Zia Rides race.

Posted: Mar 22, 2019 at 8:50 Quote
I've got a 2nd hand 2016/17 medium patrol carbon on the way.

Currently on a large 2016 alloy scout which has always felt like a big frame (i'm 5'10" and most people my height are happier on a large) so I'm looking forward to swapping the components over to decide which frame to keep.

Posted: Mar 22, 2019 at 17:21 Quote
Thanks for all the answers regarding sizing.
Having being in between and having to choose a size makes me somewhat uneasy about the Sentinel

Posted: Mar 23, 2019 at 18:37 Quote
LIAMMCL wrote:
I've got a 2nd hand 2016/17 medium patrol carbon on the way.

Currently on a large 2016 alloy scout which has always felt like a big frame (i'm 5'10" and most people my height are happier on a large) so I'm looking forward to swapping the components over to decide which frame to keep.
im 5.10 and a half lol and ride a large 17 patrol !How come it’s 16/17, either one or the other?

Posted: Mar 24, 2019 at 1:58 Quote
Advert says 16. Frame is in the post, I can't tell from photos, is there a difference? eta: shock size and rocker are different. So it will be a '16 frame

Posted: Mar 24, 2019 at 2:46 Quote
First parking lot test of my L sentinel and the size feels spot on with a 35mm stem for my 177cm, a bit longer upperbody and +1 apeindex

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2019 at 7:43 Quote
Anyone else using shorter stems on their SBG bikes. I wonder about putting a 35 or even a 30 on mine.

Posted: Mar 24, 2019 at 7:54 Quote
EKrum wrote:
Anyone else using shorter stems on their SBG bikes. I wonder about putting a 35 or even a 30 on mine.

I did the opposite. Changed the stock 40mm to 50mm. Even though the reach is way longer than my last bike, with the steep seat angle I felt the cockpit was too cramped.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015693
Mobile Version of Website