Powered by Outside

Official Calgary Riders Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Calgary Riders Thread
O+
Posted: Feb 26, 2015 at 13:06 Quote
FarmeR57 wrote:
How much snow is around if guy wanted to earn it?
Rode Toothless tuesday night. I'm riding a regular bike without spikes, so same setup as I would in the summer time.

It was 3 degrees and melting hard at the start of the ride, ings mine parking was all dirt. took the moose road up, it was a mix of dirt/snow/ice. overall, not a bad climb, easily manageable to Billy dog, got noticeably deeper on the road (3 inches??) from Billy dog up. We walked the last little stretch, but tire tracks from trucks going up to the well site made things reasonable.

By the time we got to the top it was snowing pretty good, I would say Toothless was basically 1 inch of wet snow with another 0.5-1 inch of fresh on top. a few puddles in the regular spots. Overall a great ride down.

got back to the parking lot, everything was getting covered in fresh snow and it was -3.

Environment canada shows they got somewhere around 5-10cm out there in the last couple of days.
http://www.environment.alberta.ca/apps/basins/DisplayData.aspx?Type=Figure&BasinID=8&DataType=6&StationID=EBRS

I would say it would be a fun ride down with 10cm fresh, might just be a bit more work to get up....

Posted: Feb 26, 2015 at 14:07 Quote
FarmeR57 wrote:
thank you Smile much appreciated...

There is snow at the top of the mountain for a good portion of the year

Posted: Mar 3, 2015 at 12:37 Quote
anyone ride anywhere in town recently? eastlands? if so how is it?

O+
Posted: Mar 3, 2015 at 12:50 Quote
aspski wrote:
anyone ride anywhere in town recently? eastlands? if so how is it?

Didn't ride eastlands but rode fish creek this past weekend and it was mostly snow covered in the flatter areas, and the steeper stuff was pretty much sheer ice. Rideable for sure, but pretty sketchy on non studded 2.3 tires

O+
Posted: Mar 3, 2015 at 13:34 Quote
Itll be awhile before anything in town is dry enough to enjoy

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 6:32 Quote
Sunday, fish creek was primo. Some steeps were rivers of mud, but I'd say 90 per cent was packed snow. Studs helped (on regular 2.2's) but you'd be fine on plain old rubber. A few icy spots to keep you on your toes. Did a 15k ride, and had a blast.

That's looking backwards....im assuming that with the warmth, a lot of low spots will be filled with water.

O+
Posted: Mar 9, 2015 at 8:17 Quote
Is it wishful thinking that given the forecast this coming weekend will be pretty well good to go on some south facing trails in West Bragg?

Posted: Mar 9, 2015 at 12:40 Quote
Rmcfarland wrote:
Is it wishful thinking that given the forecast this coming weekend will be pretty well good to go on some south facing trails in West Bragg?

I'd think Sugar Momma, Upper Bobcat, and Shoulda would be likely be good possibilities if the weather holds. Might find mud on the way on Elbow Valley.

Posted: Mar 16, 2015 at 15:32 Quote
Hey guys!

I will be in Calgary this weekend. Are there any trails around that I ride? Edmonton is still pretty icy.

I'm wondering if I should bring my bike.

O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2015 at 19:36 Quote
We just got some wet snow so it will likely be soupy.

Posted: Mar 17, 2015 at 8:48 Quote
more snow in our forecast too...

Posted: Mar 17, 2015 at 9:54 Quote
With the small amount of snow and colder temperatures making the ground hard again some fun conditions to be had on the fatbike for the next few days. Also the snow is the consistency where you don't really need studs anymore and can ride with higher psi. You had to know we were going to get more snow in March and the 7 month skinny 5 month fat ratio is holding true.

Posted: Mar 18, 2015 at 13:20 Quote
roundtheworld wrote:
With the small amount of snow and colder temperatures making the ground hard again some fun conditions to be had on the fatbike for the next few days. Also the snow is the consistency where you don't really need studs anymore and can ride with higher psi. You had to know we were going to get more snow in March and the 7 month skinny 5 month fat ratio is holding true.

Very true.

What are the first rideable trails in the season for Calgary? Which ones dry up first?

Posted: Mar 21, 2015 at 15:31 Quote
Looking at buying a brand new Dorado Pro. Anyone have any experience with these? I've heard that Manitou doesn't have a distributor in Canada so it may be a pain in the ass to get the fork serviced, buy parts, etc...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.159858
Mobile Version of Website