Powered by Outside

Home Made Bikes

O+
Posted: Mar 20, 2013 at 6:52 Quote
kempie wrote:
crazy-canuck wrote:
kempie wrote:

I designed them with the intention of being done with plate but the factory has a hardon for CNC.

Haha, that's unfortunate. Will keep that in mind!

I think it's because I designed it to blend seamlessly to the seatstays/chainstays, it's straight 28x8 and could have been bent I reckon but rounding the end would have been a bitch.

Gotcha, yeah for anything I could I've kept it at a standard plate size all around with chamfers at sharp edges. Just the chain stay shock mount should need anything serious.

Posted: Mar 20, 2013 at 9:52 Quote
Charge262 wrote:
The split pin will not work. As soon as that axle loosens, even a small amount, the wheel will not be secure. The pin will stop it coming out all together but it won't keep it tight.

Running the wheel even slightly loose can damage the frame, hub, brake and derallieur.

Posted: Mar 20, 2013 at 10:21 Quote
Am i the only one sitting here thinking.... "My axle never comes loose, is this a solution to a problem that doesn't exist?"

Posted: Mar 20, 2013 at 17:30 Quote
turtlesauce2000 wrote:
Am i the only one sitting here thinking.... "My axle never comes loose, is this a solution to a problem that doesn't exist?"

You and everyone else, if you read back a few, there are cases where they do come loose. I happen to have one of those cases.

I have come up with a design that will have expanding threads and a pin for the heck of it. It will be working on a CAD design of it tonight.

Posted: Mar 21, 2013 at 12:41 Quote
My ski bikes getting there...
Potato Pic Ski bike getting there...

Posted: Mar 21, 2013 at 13:12 Quote
kempie wrote:
crazy-canuck wrote:
kempie wrote:

I designed them with the intention of being done with plate but the factory has a hardon for CNC.

Haha, that's unfortunate. Will keep that in mind!

I think it's because I designed it to blend seamlessly to the seatstays/chainstays, it's straight 28x8 and could have been bent I reckon but rounding the end would have been a bitch.

The dropouts on my homemade slope bike are almost identical to those and were easy enough to make with a hacksaw and a bench grinder. The chainstay and seatstay tabs were welded on.

Posted: Mar 21, 2013 at 13:13 Quote
turtlesauce2000 wrote:

Posted: Mar 21, 2013 at 13:15 Quote
dusse123 wrote:
Looks good. I would be slightly worried about the rear skis snapping off with solid mounts like that though. I have only seen it happen on a single rear ski bike so it might be different on a double like yours.

O+
Posted: Mar 21, 2013 at 14:13 Quote
dusse123 wrote:

That should be fun! And those look like some pretty sweet welds.

Posted: Mar 21, 2013 at 14:22 Quote
Square tube hell yeah

Posted: Mar 21, 2013 at 18:17 Quote
joose wrote:
Square tube hell yeah
i double the motion, square tube, hell yeah

Posted: Mar 22, 2013 at 4:03 Quote
doctorz wrote:
joose wrote:
Square tube hell yeah
i double the motion, square tube, hell yeah
Tripled, Hell yeah. Love the look of square tubing, also much easier to work with

Posted: Mar 22, 2013 at 15:20 Quote
Montymonster wrote:
turtlesauce2000 wrote:

You and everyone else, if you read back a few, there are cases where they do come loose. I happen to have one of those cases.

I have come up with a design that will have expanding threads and a pin for the heck of it. It will be working on a CAD design of it tonight.

dude, i'm sorry but you havent "come up with a design" A bolt with a hole for many many types of securing devices has been around for a very very long time. Castle nuts and split pins for example, arew found on model T fords in the suspension mounts. An axle, albeit not threaded with a retaining pin is used on nearly all towbars.

Not trying to be a dick mate but come on its not revolutionary, or your idea.

Posted: Mar 22, 2013 at 17:09 Quote
drivebytrucker wrote:
Montymonster wrote:
turtlesauce2000 wrote:

dude, i'm sorry but you havent "come up with a design" A bolt with a hole for many many types of securing devices has been around for a very very long time. Castle nuts and split pins for example, arew found on model T fords in the suspension mounts. An axle, albeit not threaded with a retaining pin is used on nearly all towbars.

i dont think hes trying to claim its revolutionary but i think even for what he is trying to achieve there are much better options. my tr450 has a doule thread system at the rear where the axle bolts into a reccesed nut then a smaller screw bolts into the axle it works fine.

Posted: Mar 22, 2013 at 17:30 Quote
Dhminipinner wrote:
drivebytrucker wrote:
Montymonster wrote:

i dont think hes trying to claim its revolutionary but i think even for what he is trying to achieve there are much better options. my tr450 has a doule thread system at the rear where the axle bolts into a reccesed nut then a smaller screw bolts into the axle it works fine.

Exactly my point, he is "coming up" withe designs that are allready there, e.g the expansion bolt on your tr, or in a rs maxle.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023146
Mobile Version of Website