Your Spray Painted Stuff?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Your Spray Painted Stuff?
Posted: Jun 2, 2022 at 7:51 Quote
Nice work! That turned out super clean.

Posted: Jun 2, 2022 at 10:20 Quote
nlitworld wrote:

Thanks , it took quite awhile to do with each of the different colors of the graphics having to be taped and air brushed then removing and taping for the next color.

photo

photo

2014-15 Custom Painted Santa Cruz Superlight 29er

Posted: Jun 14, 2022 at 8:42 Quote
nlitworld wrote:

Posted: Jun 14, 2022 at 9:35 Quote
adm750 wrote:
nlitworld wrote:

Thanks , sold it with in 24 hrs of posting the bike for sale.

Mod
Posted: Jun 14, 2022 at 9:46 Quote
FirstFox wrote:
mior wrote:
Can i spray paint the coil part of a coil shock?

you could with like a plasti-dip or some kind of rubberized paint . if you use regular paint when the spring flexes the paint will crack and come off
do you think it would make it look like a walmart bike?

Posted: Jun 14, 2022 at 14:23 Quote
mior wrote:
FirstFox wrote:
mior wrote:
Can i spray paint the coil part of a coil shock?

you could with like a plasti-dip or some kind of rubberized paint . if you use regular paint when the spring flexes the paint will crack and come off

i did a full frame (full Suspension) specialized stumpjumper and fork all with plastidip spray from a can and it looked great . it had an air shock so i couldnt say how the coil will look but if dont right i dont think it would make your bike look any more like a walmart bike than it currently does
2011 stumpjumper fsr comp

Mod
Posted: Jun 14, 2022 at 18:09 Quote
FirstFox wrote:
mior wrote:
FirstFox wrote:

i did a full frame (full Suspension) specialized stumpjumper and fork all with plastidip spray from a can and it looked great . it had an air shock so i couldnt say how the coil will look but if dont right i dont think it would make your bike look any more like a walmart bike than it currently does

just cuz some of those bikes have colored springs.

Posted: Jun 15, 2022 at 10:04 Quote
mior wrote:
FirstFox wrote:
mior wrote:

At the end of the day its your bike and your the only one who needs to like it so if you paint it and like the way it looks then thats all that matters

Posted: Jun 15, 2022 at 14:50 Quote
FirstFox wrote:
mior wrote:
FirstFox wrote:

At the end of the day its your bike and your the only one who needs to like it so if you paint it and like the way it looks then thats all that matters

sweet. inspirational quote time. live love laugh.
i always tell my students that anytime they think their paintings are "not so hot", that they should go look at how andy warhol paints a car. it will make anyone feel better about their potential art career.
( but i still wouldnt go outta my way to paint a spring)

Posted: Jun 15, 2022 at 23:03 Quote
I painted mine about 18 months ago as the orange coating was looking pretty tired. Some of the paint has rubbed off where it sits against the preload collar, otherwise it's fine.

Posted: Jun 30, 2022 at 20:50 Quote
Hey guys, Im wanting to paint my 2019 nomad and I've got almost everything figured out. So here's my question, I'm going to completely strip my bike down and remove linkages what's the best way to hold up my rear triangle to paint? also I have a 3 gallon compressor will that be big enough?

Posted: Jul 1, 2022 at 11:27 Quote
swrvy-pete wrote:
Hey guys, Im wanting to paint my 2019 nomad and I've got almost everything figured out. So here's my question, I'm going to completely strip my bike down and remove linkages what's the best way to hold up my rear triangle to paint? also I have a 3 gallon compressor will that be big enough?

coat hanger hooked thru the axle hole. or any hole. um, this question makes me wonder about your experience level and what kind of paint you are using. but good luck either way. its a fun learning curve.

Posted: Jul 1, 2022 at 12:04 Quote
The 3 gal will work as long as your using a mini spray gun HLVP or LVLP gun I use a 2 gal compressor and with a mini LVLP spray gun ive had no issues

swrvy-pete wrote:

Posted: Jul 3, 2022 at 2:24 Quote
swrvy-pete wrote:
also I have a 3 gallon compressor will that be big enough?

While that may be enough to kinda squeak by, the saying goes "there's no replacement for diaplacement". Most mini hvlp spray guns need 5-9CFM of air, and full size are 10-17 CFM of air. That 3gal compressor is probably 0.5CFM of air at best. Most people focus on the pressure of air, but it's really the volume of air that is the issue. For that small of a tank, I would recommend to have the paint store pump your color into Spraymax aerosol cans and use their clearcoat cans. The biggest thing is the clearcoat would be tricky to apply properly with the inconsistent volume of air delivery to the spray gun. One symptom of starving a spray gun of air is the fan pattern would shrink and the atomization of product would be blobs of paint rather than a fine mist. That would not be good especially on your clearcoat stage. Just my $0.02.

Posted: Aug 28, 2022 at 16:10 Quote
On closer inspection the coating on my coil has broken down quite a lot. Before shot and paint used.

photo

After prep.

photo

After 4 coats.

photo

Back on the bike.

photo
photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.029843
Mobile Version of Website