Powered by Outside

Protection with or without

PB Forum :: Downhill
Protection with or without
Posted: Dec 17, 2007 at 1:29 Quote
maestroforlife wrote:
jooocke wrote:
maestroforlife wrote:

Well I will tell you two things three things...

1. I know alot more then you ever will about how the brain works with reguards to riding a bike. When it comes to riding a bike...instinct and self-presevation, there is a more technical term but I will use yours, can get you killed. Not going to explain anymore then that.

2. To buy armour based on fit in the store is stooopid...but what other choice to you have, it's not like you can take it for a test drive, so-to-speak. So we buy it and sometimes it is a little restrictive in certain situations. Take for example my forearms...they are likely bigger then your biceps...my Diannesse 3/4 suit fits great till I ride and get arm pump then the tightness in the arms can accentuate the arm pump leading to issues with grip. I have found ways to deal with this and it is just a fact of life for me. Otherwise I love my suit...when I use it.

3. I have hammered out my fastest times ever on courses without armour...Also note that I have done my own tests on the same track and compared armour to not armour and the times are consistantly faster with less armour...I usually use a light vest now.

I don't disagree with all you have to say...but don't come off so pretentious, or I will school youSmile

1. Of course, everything can get u killed, but I believes that "instinct of self-preservation" saves u more times then it kills u.

2. To buy armour based on fit in the store is the best way to see which one fits u best. Because as u say u most often can't take it out for a ride to test it. It ain't stopid, I say it's the best way.
And most often u can make the armour fit u better by manipulate it yourself, with longer/shorter straps and so on, but i don't know if it works for u but i didn't wrote that post to you only! Of course there are exceptions, but i think for most of the guys that say that body armor restricts them, when they get use to have it (after 2-3 days) and they find the best fitting armour it will not restrict them, my opinion!

3. Okey, i say the same thing as above "Of course there are exceptions..."

Your wrong about the "servivial Instinct" and thats a scientific fact.

The rest is an opinion and personal preference and I accept it.

Too me it looks like u say i'm wrong when i tell u i believe that "servivial Instinct" saves u more times then it kills u... I might have understood it wrong though.

Posted: Dec 17, 2007 at 1:48 Quote
jooocke wrote:
maestroforlife wrote:
Interesting psyhcological thing...the less amour I wear the less I crash (frequency, not intensity) It's like my brain know that it cannot afford to crash.

Of course your brain makes you unconsciously or/and consciously ride less aggressive when riding with less protection.

It's called "instinct of self-preservation". Everyone has it if your not drunk, alcoholic, high on drugs or really depressed.

What i mean above is be an unconscious choice, right? I didn't wrote that riding without protection stop u riding hard sections/dangerous stuffs, but it unconsciously make u do it safer, PROBABLY not as agressive as if u had protection.

I don't doubt u know as much about the brain as u say, but I think it's still very strange to write a thing like this if u know as much. "Interesting psyhcological thing...the less amour I wear the less I crash (frequency, not intensity) It's like my brain know that it cannot afford to crash."
When u say like that it sounds like u are totaly unaware og the servivial instinct, doesn't it?

Posted: Dec 17, 2007 at 2:04 Quote
maestroforlife wrote:
3. I have hammered out my fastest times ever on courses without armour...Also note that I have done my own tests on the same track and compared armour to not armour and the times are consistantly faster with less armour...I usually use a light vest now.

It's not like the more aggressive u ride the faster u will come down, without protection u probably ride with a little more margins and may get a more flowy faster ride. Because as i'm sure u know if u ride really agressive, u may not crasch but u will probably be in more trouble and in less control and have to brake more to get into control and the right line and stuff. As u know the best pros don't ride a 100% of what they're capable of in the world cups because it's too big risk to them, they loose to much time and points and stuff at crasching or be in trouble.
I read somewhere that steve said he rode at about 90% of what he was capable of.

They probably rides as fast if not faster at 90% and in control and with flow then a good agressive ride with smaller margins and less flow.

The thing i wanted to say with these is that without protection u _unconsciously_ not risk as much but u may get a better ride and time.

And to be a former pro racer (as i read u were on your profile) I'm surprised when u write a thing like this:
"Take for example my forearms...they are likely bigger then your biceps...my Diannesse 3/4 suit fits great till I ride and get arm pump then the tightness in the arms can accentuate the arm pump leading to issues with grip."
When it's very easy to manipulate it with longer straps and so on. At that level I thought u were very much capale of doing things like this, at least not complain of a thing that is that easy to fix. But it was just an example as u wrote so it's for sure more things that disturbs u when u wear a body suit.

Am i starting to school u? Wink No i'm just kidding but some things u say seems pretty weard to me.

O+
Posted: Dec 17, 2007 at 6:20 Quote
jooocke wrote:
maestroforlife wrote:

It's not like the more aggressive u ride the faster u will come down, without protection u probably ride with a little more margins and may get a more flowy faster ride. Because as i'm sure u know if u ride really agressive, u may not crasch but u will probably be in more trouble and in less control and have to brake more to get into control and the right line and stuff. As u know the best pros don't ride a 100% of what they're capable of in the world cups because it's too big risk to them, they loose to much time and points and stuff at crasching or be in trouble.
I read somewhere that steve said he rode at about 90% of what he was capable of.

They probably rides as fast if not faster at 90% and in control and with flow then a good agressive ride with smaller margins and less flow.

The thing i wanted to say with these is that without protection u _unconsciously_ not risk as much but u may get a better ride and time.

And to be a former pro racer (as i read u were on your profile) I'm surprised when u write a thing like this:
"Take for example my forearms...they are likely bigger then your biceps...my Diannesse 3/4 suit fits great till I ride and get arm pump then the tightness in the arms can accentuate the arm pump leading to issues with grip."
When it's very easy to manipulate it with longer straps and so on. At that level I thought u were very much capale of doing things like this, at least not complain of a thing that is that easy to fix. But it was just an example as u wrote so it's for sure more things that disturbs u when u wear a body suit.

Am i starting to school u? Wink No i'm just kidding but some things u say seems pretty weard to me.

Dude I would have fixxed my armour with longer straps but guess what, I don't even use the ones that are on it because when my arms pump up the mesh is too tight. So don't be a prickWink with things like:

I have the experience to figure out that my forearms are rather large and because of the size I need to stretch the alot to make sure lactic acid moves freely from them, nothing to do with longer straps.

You really don't get what survival instincts do, nor do you understand brain function or the bio-chemistry invovled.

Though this makes some sense:

The thing I wanted to say with these is that without protection u _unconsciously_ not risk as much but u may get a better ride and time.

It is still off the mark, because you have no control over you unconcious mind...It does not represent action...it's reaction based.

Your not schooling me...not even close. These things I say don't make sense to you..but if I told you how it really works it would blow your mind.

We will just have to agree to disagree.

Ride on brother biker.

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 13, 2013 at 15:46 Quote
Luckily I was wearing a helmet. Over cooked a flip in August last year and fractured my skull. If I had not been wearing my lid I would have been dead. Literally. You may think it's fun or nice to not wear a lid, but take it from me... head injuries are not worth it. Please be smart. Neuro surgery is not something you can easily recover from.
Luckily I was wearing a helmet. Over cooked a flip in August last year and fractured my skull. If I had not been wearing my lid I would have been dead. Literally. You may think it s fun or nice to not wear a lid but take it from me... head injuries are not worth it. Please be smart. Neuro surgery is not something you can easily recover from.

Posted: Apr 13, 2013 at 18:52 Quote
nasty scar man, but this thread is 5 years dead

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020495
Mobile Version of Website