2018 RM Instinct

PB Forum :: Rocky Mountain Bikes
2018 RM Instinct
Posted: Mar 10, 2019 at 12:31 Quote
So today I decided to experiment with the ride 9 settings. I un-tightened the bolts, set the chips in the position I want then when I was tightening the bolt back in it became really hard to tighten more.

I was not even close to having the bolt flush with the chip, I gave it a little pressure to tighten and the bolt snapped (picture below).

I live in Vegas so there are no RM dealers here in town. I checked RM's shop for replacement parts and this bolt does not seem to be in the shop for sale. I sent a message to Rocky Mountain via there web page so hopefully they can help me..

Does anyone have any experience with this or any idea why it stopped threading in half way while tightening? did I do this wrong? Is there anywhere else I can find this part?

photo

O+
Posted: Mar 10, 2019 at 13:24 Quote
Ah sucks. Sounds like it got crossthreaded or something was stuck in there and created pressure in a weird spot. Rocky will give you the part number of the bolt and sell it to you or your dealer. They've been great about helping me with the extra link, bolts and custom shock hardware in the past. Just email info@bikes.com and they'll help you in a day.

Posted: Mar 10, 2019 at 13:35 Quote
Svinyard wrote:
Yeah I did exactly that. It's freaking awesome. One of the special things about this bike is that it's really light, pedals super well (especially 140 version) and with a 36 jacked up to 150mm or so with dhf 2.5...becomes a pretty amazing all-around bike thats awesome. My custom XL with dpx2/36 big dhf/dhr2 and 170mm dropper it's literally 29lbs. It's freaking nice. Lots of XL are pushing 32lbs with that.

I don't think it's an insane 170mm Enduro sled, however this bike has gone faster on nasty terrain than perhaps any other bike, all at the hands of Jesse Malemed. He's got a custom 140mm with 170mm 36 up front. If you haven't seen him fly on it recently, you are missing out.

Part of me also likes that it isn't longer, but isn't short. It's kind of inbetween the new bikes like Ripmo/Yeti and older bikes like a Switchblade/Hightower. I'm not an Enduro racer but am tall at 6-4. With 29in wheels and a 36, it's plenty capable but the somewhat moderate geo it's more fun and poppy.

@Svinyard, thanks for the great info!

I was able to do a ride thru the lot for a few min on a M and L size 140mm Instinct and noticed that it felt much lighter than other’s l’ve thrown a leg over recently (Rallon, Ripmo, Process 153).

I’m hoping to build one up with XT8020 brakes, DT Swiss E1700 (can handle 280lb; I’m 265), GX, Fox Factory 36.

I have def seen Jesse’s videos which def show his skills and speed! I did like the Switchblade, and Mach 6 l tested last year here in NC but just felt the geometry didn’t fit me (like the Rallon) and l love the versatility of this frame.

I’m hoping to drop 25-35lbs this year and feel this bike is gonna help me a lot so now just gotta get the parts and hopefully the BC frame in early/mid April. I haven’t ridden regularly since last April when l crashed (broken hand, 3 ribs) and excited to get back on the trails soon!

Posted: Mar 10, 2019 at 14:28 Quote
Svinyard wrote:
Ah sucks. Sounds like it got crossthreaded or something was stuck in there and created pressure in a weird spot. Rocky will give you the part number of the bolt and sell it to you or your dealer. They've been great about helping me with the extra link, bolts and custom shock hardware in the past. Just email info@bikes.com and they'll help you in a day.

Thanks, yeah I sent them a message through their website and also on facebook, I wasn't expecting a response since its the weekend but hopefully I hear something tomorrow. If not i'll also email them there thanks.

O+
Posted: Mar 10, 2019 at 14:35 Quote
Nice welcome back to the bike is with a new bike! Yeah the Ripmo wasn't out when I built mine. Itd be a tough debate between the two I'm guessing if I did it today. I like the looks of the rocky better, but DWlink is nice too.

The Switchblade was one of the only other options that was decent at the time, Rallon I guess too... But the Switchblade was flawed similar to the Hightower LT. More reach than the Hightower (which was short) but super short rear with a slack STA was not good for me. Plus the frame was about a lb heavier and Im not an ultra hard rider. So in the end it was the Instinct, which has been awesome. Today it'd be between the Ripmo and Instinct and SB130 for an aggressive trail bike in XL.

Posted: Mar 10, 2019 at 16:49 Quote
Svinyard wrote:
Nice welcome back to the bike is with a new bike! Yeah the Ripmo wasn't out when I built mine. Itd be a tough debate between the two I'm guessing if I did it today. I like the looks of the rocky better, but DWlink is nice too.

The Switchblade was one of the only other options that was decent at the time, Rallon I guess too... But the Switchblade was flawed similar to the Hightower LT. More reach than the Hightower (which was short) but super short rear with a slack STA was not good for me. Plus the frame was about a lb heavier and Im not an ultra hard rider. So in the end it was the Instinct, which has been awesome. Today it'd be between the Ripmo and Instinct and SB130 for an aggressive trail bike in XL.

Thanks l appreciate that Svinyard! l feel the same on the DW but thinking the Instinct won’t go thru it’s travel quite as fast without unnecessary tokens. Last year’s Yeti models weren’t the best and for the price and for my style of riding l don’t feel the price/builds are worth it. Just wondering if RM will be updating color schemes, etc in the coming months.

FL
Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 9:36 Quote
After 6 months on my BC Edition, I really love the do-it-all abilities of this bike.
The only annoying thing is really loud chainslap on rough descents. Anyone have any good remedies?
I assume the chain slap comes from the chain above the chainstay rather than below, I'm going to try some velcro on it.

O+
Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 9:53 Quote
I have the stock chainstay protector on it. You can use that or add the fuzzy side of velcro tape (adhesive on one side, fuzzy on the other). That will dampen the sound.

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 18:33 Quote
Maybe your derailleur clutch needs to be tighter. I think the Instinct BC has SRAM, and I have never used a SRAM derailleur. My Altitude has an XTR clutch derailleur and I run a 36t chainring with no chain slap. My Element (3x9) with no clutch derailleur has more chain slap in the 22t ring than 32t, and I don’t use the 44t off road. I don’t think I would get much slap with the 44t because the chain is further from the swing arm.

So a bigger chainring and tighter clutch derailleur should reduce chain slap.

O+
Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 19:59 Quote
This is a normal thing. The clutch is running fine. A larger 36t chainring keeps the chain further away from the stay hence it is quieter.

If you are on old shimano, the 11t VS sram 10t will also keep the chain further away

FL
Posted: Mar 29, 2019 at 7:36 Quote
The clutch is fine. I have ordered a 34T chainring, hopefully that will help.
As I said before, the chainslap is the only annoying thing about the bike, everything else is great.

Posted: Apr 17, 2019 at 16:45 Quote
I have a 2018 Instinct C50 needing to replace tyre. The bike has the stock Sun duroc 30 Wheelset and came standard with 2.3 front, 2.35 rear Maxxis tyres. Question is, Are these rims okay to run a 2.5 on or too narrow, dont want the tyres bulging out too much and rolling. Was thinking about 2.3 DHR on back and 2.5 DHF or Assegai on the front, if its not the best will likely put a 2.3 DHF on the front. Cheers

Posted: Apr 17, 2019 at 17:40 Quote
2.5 will fit fine on 30mm rim

Posted: Apr 17, 2019 at 17:48 Quote
DonLopez wrote:
2.5 will fit fine on 30mm rim

Thanks, I just checked specs and it is 27mm internal...

Posted: Apr 17, 2019 at 18:54 Quote
I tested a Trek with 29x2.4 on a 30 mm rim and liked that size wheel. Not sure how well 2.5 WT would work on 27 mm rim, but should be fine. I went with 27.5x2.4 instead of 2.5 WT because my rims are only 25 mm.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.051003
Mobile Version of Website