Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

how much do bike shops pay for parts and bikes?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
how much do bike shops pay for parts and bikes?
Posted: Apr 17, 2008 at 21:45 Quote
frolosophy wrote:
AqueousBeef wrote:
our roads are fine, our hospitals are faster, and f*ck universal healthcare
oh how ignorant americans are towards universal healthcare...
i'll bet you your hospital bill that next time you have a serious accident and need to be hospitalized (without mommy and daddy's insurance policy covering you), you'll change your mind. unless of course you are one of those lucky enough to afford your "faster" hospitals, and not one of the poor souls who can't afford the privilege of being taken care of at a hospital.
I can tell you right now that anyone with a real job has healthcare. mcdonalds included. you call me ignorant...

Posted: Apr 17, 2008 at 21:50 Quote
AqueousBeef wrote:
frolosophy wrote:
AqueousBeef wrote:
our roads are fine, our hospitals are faster, and f*ck universal healthcare
oh how ignorant americans are towards universal healthcare...
i'll bet you your hospital bill that next time you have a serious accident and need to be hospitalized (without mommy and daddy's insurance policy covering you), you'll change your mind. unless of course you are one of those lucky enough to afford your "faster" hospitals, and not one of the poor souls who can't afford the privilege of being taken care of at a hospital.
I can tell you right now that anyone with a real job has healthcare. mcdonalds included. you call me ignorant...
so do the vast amount of people in your country who are unemployed and or without healthcare just not have the same rights as you because they don't have "a real job"? remember, insurance doesn't always cover you. half my family lives in the US... i know what your healthcare system is like.

Posted: Apr 17, 2008 at 21:55 Quote
frolosophy wrote:
so do the vast amount of people in your country who are unemployed and or without healthcare just not have the same rights as you because they don't have "a real job"? remember, insurance doesn't always cover you. half my family lives in the US... i know what your healthcare system is like.

It has nothing to do with "rights". That's a cop-out that you use to get people on your side. If you have a full time job (not hard to get) you get benefits. It's not that hard.

Oh, and last time I went to the ER, the bill (if I didn't have health insurance) would've been $500 for some stitches, which isn't bad if you think about it. The doctor spent 8 years of his life studying and training for that job, his time and opinion is very valuable.

Posted: Apr 17, 2008 at 21:57 Quote
A doctor takes an oath to help people no matter what....that includes the people with no money in their pockets.

The states is a joke as far as heath care is concerned.

Posted: Apr 17, 2008 at 22:03 Quote
vinceliberatore wrote:
frolosophy wrote:

It has nothing to do with "rights". That's a cop-out that you use to get people on your side. If you have a full time job (not hard to get) you get benefits. It's not that hard.
survival of the fittest i suppose right... those most deserving end up with the most? the way i see it, everyone whether rich or poor deserves healthcare. crazy world we live in where someone buys their life... sure would suck to be poor eh?

Posted: Apr 17, 2008 at 22:07 Quote
Health care is a service. What other service (that is not government subsidized) can you get for free if you cannot afford it? Pennzoil doesn't give me a free oil change because I'm low on cash. Your LBS doesn't give the homeless guy a free bike because he needs it to get around.

Posted: Apr 17, 2008 at 22:08 Quote
STFU. We have Whistler lol Kidding, but yeah, because of Bush, you guys are f*ckED.

Posted: Apr 17, 2008 at 22:50 Quote
I you do nothing you deserve NOTHING. Its this beautiful thing called capitalism that gives you back exactly what you put into it. Pretty damn clever if you ask me.

Posted: Apr 17, 2008 at 22:50 Quote
YeahSoWhat wrote:
STFU. We have Whistler lol Kidding, but yeah, because of Bush, you guys are f*ckED.
he who must not be named!

Posted: Apr 17, 2008 at 22:51 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
I you do nothing you deserve NOTHING. Its this beautiful thing called capitalism that gives you back exactly what you into it. Pretty damn clever if you ask me.
exactly. so the crackhead on the other side of the highway is OD'ing, why the hell should I pay for him? he has no job and is already living off of welfare

Posted: Apr 17, 2008 at 23:01 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
Nothing is more obnoxious then some punk coming into a shop, knowing exactly how much cost is, and demanding a better deal. That is sacred information that you don't give out to just anyone.
you must work in a bike shop if you say that

Posted: Apr 17, 2008 at 23:03 Quote
norcorulz wrote:
DavidMakalaster wrote:
Nothing is more obnoxious then some punk coming into a shop, knowing exactly how much cost is, and demanding a better deal. That is sacred information that you don't give out to just anyone.
he's a nukular physamatologist

Posted: Apr 17, 2008 at 23:11 Quote
norcorulz wrote:
DavidMakalaster wrote:

I worked in a bike shop in a magical time called the late 90s when everything was sunshine and lollipops.

I'm very close to a shop that treats me well. I am ocassionally called upon to help them with things. I browse dealer catalogs all the time. I have never complained about a price or asked for a deal but I get them every time. I still see that crap and know what its like.

Posted: Apr 17, 2008 at 23:19 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
norcorulz wrote:
DavidMakalaster wrote:

I worked in a bike shop in a magical time called the late 90s when everything was sunshine and lollipops.

I'm very close to a shop that treats me well. I am ocassionally called upon to help them with things. I browse dealer catalogs all the time. I have never complained about a price or asked for a deal but I get them every time. I still see that crap and know what its like.

and acid...

Posted: Apr 17, 2008 at 23:41 Quote
my dad had a go at owning a bike shop in the mid 90's. got out just before the mtb bomb took full force in australia, cause there was little $$ in it.

there is a difference between markup and net profit. the cost of convenience of location, and the service they provide which we all seem to take for granted thinking it should be free does actually cost something. Often it’s the opportunity cost of just talking to you for ½ hr before you order the part on line anyway – they could have been selling a bike to someone else, fixing something, doing the books, handing out weekly special flyers on the street, networking at social ride, all that stuff.

Yes many people cry robbery at the lbs mark up, some up to 200% if demand lets them get away with. yet you don’t ask to get a deal when u buy groceries, and you spend hundreds there every week. Its everywhere, everyone does it, its (capital / “freemarket”) business economics go to uni and study it for a couple of years if you want more questions answered. but the basic rules is if someone could do it better for cheaper they would and if you dont match that you go out of business. free competition keeps everything in check (adam smiths invisible hand) so dont feel you are getting a raw deal cause its better than nothing at all.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.076913
Mobile Version of Website