Powered by Outside

(fixedgear) info & discussion

PB Forum :: Vintage and Fixed Gear Bikes
(fixedgear) info & discussion
O+
Posted: Oct 10, 2009 at 18:39 Quote
I'm kind of designing one but I don't want to put up the mock-up photoshop. Barspin and toe clip clearance with a 700c and around 55mm rake, tight rear geo, BB height of around 280mm.

Posted: Oct 11, 2009 at 9:59 Quote
fixie question, (and update soon) frame pads cool? uses? will i get pwnd for having one? cheers!

FL
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 at 10:03 Quote
sub rosa fixed gear is pretty ideal. Not sure if it's possible to get toe clip clearance with out sacrificing the wheel base or changing the rake. Which I would think would cause the bike to be unable to barspin and or make the front of the bike to long and feel "heavier" to wheelie

FL
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 at 10:05 Quote
looks like you've shaved off all of your brake routing and the rest of the useless stuff. I'de say forget the nut pad. My $.02's

Posted: Oct 11, 2009 at 10:08 Quote
but do they have a use?

FL
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 at 10:20 Quote
blakeR wrote:
but do they have a use?
They keep you from smashing your nuts on your top tube!? lol

1. I've never used one and my bikes right up on my junk when I stand over it.
2. I've hurt my boys more on my seat than I have on my frame.

FL
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 at 10:46 Quote
singlespeedtoday wrote:
What would you like to see in a new fixed gear specific frame? Geometry? Tire clearance? Barspinable?

photo

Checked one of these out ay my local shop. It is sick! Outboard sealed BB, Integrated sealed headset, deep v's, fat kenda's, gusseted chromo frame.....

O+
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 at 11:33 Quote
blakeR wrote:
but do they have a use?

I used to run one to protect my paint when locking, but it looks rather silly, I decided.

Posted: Oct 11, 2009 at 12:53 Quote
anyone clip in spd stylee on their fixies on the longer outings?

Posted: Oct 11, 2009 at 13:17 Quote
i've heard of it being done before but would never do it myself. it's nice to be able to bail quickly...clipless are quick but it only takes an extra 10th of a second to fall lol. idk the other thing i would be worried about is if you have to resist really hard it's not unheard of to break the cleats off the bottom or your shoes and i would rather not risk breaking my cleat out in the middle of town and having to ride back with only one foot firmly planted on the pedals

Posted: Oct 11, 2009 at 13:26 Quote
bkraft wrote:
i've heard of it being done before but would never do it myself. it's nice to be able to bail quickly...clipless are quick but it only takes an extra 10th of a second to fall lol. idk the other thing i would be worried about is if you have to resist really hard it's not unheard of to break the cleats off the bottom or your shoes and i would rather not risk breaking my cleat out in the middle of town and having to ride back with only one foot firmly planted on the pedals
so what do you use?

Posted: Oct 11, 2009 at 15:38 Quote
saw the discussion a few pages back about pedal straps and found this handy guide, enjoy! http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/08/make-it-velcro-speed-straps-for-fixed-gear-riders/

Posted: Oct 11, 2009 at 16:27 Quote
i just use the standard to clip and strap but i was thinking about trying out the holdfast straps just to check em out.

Posted: Oct 11, 2009 at 21:34 Quote
As you can probably tell from my last post I have been brainstorming on a frame to eventually build. I was just going to do a regular style frame but I already have the Surly so I have narrowed it down to a fixed specific 29er or a fixed specific 26" XC. Should be interesting ether way...

Posted: Oct 11, 2009 at 21:44 Quote
blakeR wrote:
anyone clip in spd stylee on their fixies on the longer outings?

Never used flats when riding fixed. Haven't worn flats for at least 5 years now (though thinking of going back to get some handling skills back).

I ran eggbeaters on my fixed for 3 years of HEAVY use. It got commuted on, raced, ridden off road, and toured on. I put a lot of miles on it, skidded a lot, and beat the shit out of that bike. Pedals held up fine except that one day I broke a spindle (probably not related to fixed gear use).

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.038240
Mobile Version of Website