Powered by Outside

Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
O+
Posted: May 11, 2013 at 20:39 Quote
weirdodad wrote:
Does anyone know what they are doing in the flats just below the start of the Sulphur Springs trail? They have some heavy equipment out there and it almost looks like they are cultivating a field for farming.
They are cleaning up a sump and making a trail to connect Station Flats to the entrance of Pneuma at the bottom of the Moose Mountain road. Some of the costs of building are being given by the contracting companies doing the reclamation!
This will help avoid being on the highway or climbing sulphur

Posted: May 11, 2013 at 21:08 Quote
jerome wrote:
weirdodad wrote:
Does anyone know what they are doing in the flats just below the start of the Sulphur Springs trail? They have some heavy equipment out there and it almost looks like they are cultivating a field for farming.
They are cleaning up a sump and making a trail to connect Station Flats to the entrance of Pneuma at the bottom of the Moose Mountain road. Some of the costs of building are being given by the contracting companies doing the reclamation!
This will help avoid being on the highway or climbing sulphur

Yup, Sounds like somebody missed the MMBTS AGM, where all was explained. (Wow, important stuff about trails in the area plus good times and beer - who knew?)
Anyway, the remediation and reclamation project is all but complete (with the exception of ongoing monitoring) and will be fenced to keep the cows out. Another sign will be put up explaining more. The MMBTS is almost done with the new trail proposal (perfect for you XC types and AM loopers). Once MMBTS gets approval from the government, details will be posted online. However, equipment and money to hire a trail crew is standing-by thanks to the oil and gas contractors associated with the reclamation project. That is how we can all work together.

Posted: May 12, 2013 at 12:54 Quote
Highline was beauty today

O+
Posted: May 12, 2013 at 14:24 Quote
curbhuck wrote:
Highline was beauty today

What bike to you ride? Yes it was fantastic, only a glacier in the gully. Rode G8 and Montaine yesterday and they are quite loose and very dusty.

Posted: May 12, 2013 at 15:42 Quote
Anyone been out to Powderface and/or prairie creek in the past few days? Looking rideable?

Posted: May 12, 2013 at 16:57 Quote
Yamnuska was fantastic today. lower 95% completely dry with a bit of snow lingering near the top and some light streams and wetness up there.

Posted: May 13, 2013 at 9:50 Quote
Salty Dog race was again awesome. Sensible temps this year and just a touch of moisture to tacky up the trail. Amazing that a small bike shop and town of 18k can build and maintain such great trails and do a fantastic job of organizing a bike race for 1,500 riders of all ages on 3 separate routes. Thank you Skookum + volunteers from Salmon Arm!

O+
Posted: May 13, 2013 at 16:04 Quote
nachobicyclista wrote:
Any updates on lake minnewanka ? thinking of heading out sunday morning for a ride.

Rode Minnewanka on May 11th, it's bone dry and full of hikers. Photos and write up here

Posted: May 14, 2013 at 8:25 Quote
Sorry, edited post, see below.

Posted: May 14, 2013 at 8:28 Quote
Kyle201 wrote:
Yamnuska was fantastic today. lower 95% completely dry with a bit of snow lingering near the top and some light streams and wetness up there.

you blew by us as we hiked uphill on Yam on Sunday- as a fellow mtber, I thought it was not the smartest move to ride Yam on SUNDAY that was also MOTHERS DAY while also not slowing down for uphill hikers, forcing people to get out of your way and not even saying hello/being friendly to reduce the annoyance everyone felt at you riding that trail on such a busy day. Seriously.
Those kinds of decisions are, in my view, not a great way to reduce hiker-biker conflict and they made you look like a jerk.

On a lighter note, rode Prospectors on Saturday - excellent condition, so much fun. The only wood removed so far is the last structure (the lowest, newer wall ride thingy).

Posted: May 14, 2013 at 11:56 Quote
garyfischer wrote:
Just back from a trip so it was my first time riding Nose Hill this year. I nearly cried. I did a short loop from the Edgemont entrance encompassing my favourite downhill on NH, the trail which sweeps down through the gully at the Southwest side of the hill down to the John Laurie/Shaganappi Trail intersection. They are turning it into a paved highway!!! I can't believe I missed the plans to do this? Any one else know what other 'improvements' are happening in the Park?
YEAH like the day after I my first ride of the year there I was walking to school and they were taring it to shit. I was pissed right off

Posted: May 14, 2013 at 13:58 Quote
Touched up most of the worst damage on Boundary Ridge and Strange Brew (West Bragg). A few of the berms in middle of Strange Brew left to fix which should be done tomorrow/Thurs. None of vollies had a chance to get back to reworking the line on Sugar Moma/Ranger Summit South yet so sorry, have to ride over a bit of roughed out trail a little longer there. One wet wheel sucker section near end of Boundary Ridge which needs some caution as comes after a smoking fast line. Other than that the trails are riding awesome!!

Please remember West Bragg trails turn to mud soup after rain. Its dry right now but please avoid using the new trails if we get heavy rain (i.e. May long weekend!!). Thanks!

O+
Posted: May 14, 2013 at 19:39 Quote
rain in the c. valley has finally helped with the dust.

trail crew is working on kloosifier and johnson this week but will be finished by the weekend, new berms may be soft use caution.

Posted: May 15, 2013 at 7:32 Quote
Rode shoulda a couple runs last night. Bone dry and in great shape. Nice night to get out and ride.

Anyone ridden prairie link yet?

Posted: May 15, 2013 at 18:21 Quote
kenny99 wrote:
Rode shoulda a couple runs last night. Bone dry and in great shape. Nice night to get out and ride.

Anyone ridden prairie link yet?

>>>>according to "Mike" on bike pirate, she is open and good to go. The gate to the parking opens today as well; bonus!!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017778
Mobile Version of Website