Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

Home Made Bikes

Posted: Oct 9, 2014 at 14:50 Quote
shirk-007 wrote:
It's not done yet, I will have it built up for it's first test ride on Saturday.
nice going man. it looks good

Posted: Oct 9, 2014 at 16:13 Quote
dingus wrote:
What would be the minimum amount of gear you would need to build a steel frame?

i use my angle grinders more than everything else. i welded up a frame last night, this is what i actually used over the evening-

frame jig
hand files
grinders
hammer
pin punch, center punch
TIG welder & welding gear
drill press
cordless drill with a wire wheel
clamps
de-burring tool
a bundle of rags tied to a string to clean the inside of tubes
acetone
verniers
inside calipers

and of course my PC and my printer!

Posted: Oct 9, 2014 at 16:17 Quote
Thanks guys, is there any essential reading for frame building beginners that you can recommend? Other than this thread of course Wink

Posted: Oct 9, 2014 at 22:15 Quote
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-shimano-british-downhill-series-round-4-llangollen-practice-uncut-2014.html

hey guys i just saw this video at 4:50 it shows the mill yard bike being raced thought that was kinda cool

Posted: Oct 10, 2014 at 1:18 Quote
Was just shifting through some old files and found my old ProE files from a couple of years ago and thought i would give them a bit of re-working. Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to get a workshop to tool one of these little bad boys up?
just a bit of CAD practice reworking the project bike

Posted: Oct 10, 2014 at 2:42 Quote
dingus wrote:
Thanks guys, is there any essential reading for frame building beginners that you can recommend? Other than this thread of course Wink

The Paterek manual is oft' quoted as the primary resource for beginner frame builders

Posted: Oct 10, 2014 at 2:57 Quote
Ben-Brough wrote:
Was just shifting through some old files and found my old ProE files from a couple of years ago and thought i would give them a bit of re-working. Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to get a workshop to tool one of these little bad boys up?
just a bit of CAD practice reworking the project bike

thousands mate. nice bike tho! Smile

Posted: Oct 10, 2014 at 22:26 Quote
moar frames!

there is no questioning what this one is for with geo like this-

...Descendence TTF prototype 2 pauls geo

actually its more or less a second proto of that big trail frame i did a couple months ago with the polydrops, in that its definitely intended as an agro XC hardtail for 150mm-ish forks. this ones a bit slacker tho; i made it pretty much as a frame intended for a single race on a track in Pemberton WA for the guy who actually made the track Smile now thats dedication! a bike specifically for one track in southern western australia.

this frame is for a 6 lad and a 30mm stem 640mm top tube 75 degree seat angle 65.5 degree head angle at 520mm axle-to-crown 410mm chainstays...Descendence TTF prototype 2 trail weapon.
my crotch muthafreaka...Descendence TTF prototype 2
just some cool shit...Descendence TTF prototype 2
big fat tire clearance no issue here- 3 no worries...Descendence TTF prototype 2

one thing that i really wanted to do for this one was big tire clearance without a plate yoke to interrupt the nice clean flow of the chainstay...this one will clear a 3" tire and allow for a 32th ring on the middle position of a three ring spider. i love making frames with nice easy 410mm chainstay length! those haze frames i do with 370mm stays are a fukn nightmare to make.

actually i will say in the interest of home builders everywhere, i very nearly overcooked the stay bends of this one- i put small crank clearance bends on the stays, but they still only allow about 3-4mm crank clearance, which is a bit touch and go for clicking the cranks on the stays under hard pedalling what with all those twisting forces goin on. i bent the stays the same as i always do, but because the tire clearance is so much bigger (i.e the stays are further apart) i should have done the crank bends a fair bit deeper.

lesson learned! Smile

O+
Posted: Oct 10, 2014 at 23:32 Quote
I will have to get over to your side of the country, been saying it for years. Unfortunately the temptation of NZ being cheaper and shorter flight time is always hard to resist Smile

Posted: Oct 11, 2014 at 5:32 Quote
madm3chanic wrote:
those haze frames i do with 370mm stays are a fukn nightmare to make.

Sorry... Wink

Posted: Oct 11, 2014 at 9:11 Quote
Nice! how do you dimple your chain stays?

Posted: Oct 11, 2014 at 17:17 Quote
beckhead wrote:
madm3chanic wrote:

Sorry... Wink

hahahaha

Posted: Oct 11, 2014 at 21:33 Quote
madm3chanic wrote:
beckhead wrote:
madm3chanic wrote:

Sorry... Wink

hahahaha

I'm really not sorry... The Architect is way too awesome. Still going hard!

Posted: Oct 11, 2014 at 23:51 Quote
beckhead wrote:
madm3chanic wrote:
beckhead wrote:

Sorry... Wink

hahahaha

I'm really not sorry... The Architect is way too awesome. Still going hard!

the combination of the head space im in, the amazing music im listening to really loud (tesseract- altered state), and that comment just made my day!

i enjoyed making that frame; every frame i make is a little part of me- there is no frame i have made that is not 100% personal. frames that us home builders make are more than machines, they are extensions of ourselves. we conceptualize them in ways that we feel best fit their intended purpose and indite; construct them from raw materials where once there was just a bunch of metal tubes.

its really quite awesome, making something that someone else fangs around on and has fun with Smile

O+
Posted: Oct 11, 2014 at 23:57 Quote
photo
Made this in the garage.

It shreds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019862
Mobile Version of Website