Powered by Outside

Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 10:25 Quote
photo

My sentinel with progressive coil

Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 13:18 Quote
I am just not a big fan of rockshock shocks. should be interesting, I really want a dorado pro for a DH fork..
I have 165mm cranks and i think it saves me a bunch, plus all the bikes from Transition come with 165mm cranks stock? I also have DH casing on my 27.5 wheels, I swap out my dual crown with my fox 36 whenever I want to hit the single tracks. Takes about 15 minutes to swap. It pedals uphill surprisingly well considering its weight.

My decals are chrome, may appear black or whatever color its reflecting, its pretty freaking rad, going to get red chrome decals next.. Got them here ! https://www.etsy.com/listing/1112500257/transition-patrol-alloy-2022-sticker-kit

If you check the RAW Bike forum you can see my build progress. I completely stripped my frame with aircraft paint remover... really nasty stuff.

Jibbaman28 wrote:
@907nattylight

it is def not a light bike by any means. As it sits, its about 2lbs heavier than my carbon Tues with 40’s, spank alloy wheels, tubes and DH casing tires. But its gonna gain some more with the coil. I do have a Rockshox SDU coil to put on for this weekend.

The stiffness of the 40 is a big difference compared to the Boxxer. Im curious to see what Rockshox has coming with their Blackbox dual crown forks the top race guys have been on.

The patrol is a bit low. Have had a few pedal strikes so far. Doesnt help i’ve got 170 cranks. Torn off a couple pins but I needed to replace a few anyways.

Where did you find the black frame decals? I’m looking to cover up the orange with either black or red. Might just take a paint pen and cover it up.

Edit: just swapped the Float X2 for SDU coil. Brought the weight to 36lbs 13oz. More cushin for the pushin.

Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 13:28 Quote
This was last night at my small local bike park. Really getting the feel for this bike and I love it more and more. BOOSTING
photo
photo

Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 15:08 Quote
alext6969 wrote:
Anyone have tips on rawing out a frame?

I think my current Patrol build would look sick all nice and shiny silver/

photo

Take a look here https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=128209&pagenum=48

I used aircraft paint remover, a better way for it to remove the paint is to put the frame inside a plastic bag and let it sit for 30 minutes... I used blue rubber gloves for protecting my hands, doubled up actually, and the paint remover was degrading the rubber gloves.. Really really nasty stuff, make sure your work area is well ventilated.

Took about 2 days, scrubbing, wiping, re applying where paint is left over, then a wet sand with 400, I ended up scratching the frame with 220 to get the aluminum to bounce light off it in the pattern of my sanding.

Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 16:43 Quote
907nattylight wrote:
alext6969 wrote:
Anyone have tips on rawing out a frame?

I think my current Patrol build would look sick all nice and shiny silver/

photo

Take a look here https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=128209&pagenum=48

I used aircraft paint remover, a better way for it to remove the paint is to put the frame inside a plastic bag and let it sit for 30 minutes... I used blue rubber gloves for protecting my hands, doubled up actually, and the paint remover was degrading the rubber gloves.. Really really nasty stuff, make sure your work area is well ventilated.

Took about 2 days, scrubbing, wiping, re applying where paint is left over, then a wet sand with 400, I ended up scratching the frame with 220 to get the aluminum to bounce light off it in the pattern of my sanding.

Have not done it myself, but know some guys that used CRC Gasket Stripper for alloy frame paint removal also.

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 17:50 Quote
powellriviera wrote:
I’m sure this question has been answered before but I haven’t been able to track it down on this thread.

I have a 2015 patrol and I was wondering if anyone had successfully used a coil shock with it? If so, I weigh around 170 with gear, spring recommendations?

Are there any shocks it don’t fit? Any compelling reasons why I should not do this or I should definitely do this?

I’ve read that bearings were a struggle when this bike came out, my frame bearings are good right now, has there been a fix or a style of bearing that is holding up longer?

Only had the bike for a few months, love it, fits me real well.

I live on the coast of BC and enjoy riding the hard stuff, thank you for your help.

C
I wouldnt, if the leverage is any similar to the 2019. J8st save your pennies for a new patrol/scout if you really want a coil

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 18:24 Quote
iridedj wrote:
powellriviera wrote:
I’m sure this question has been answered before but I haven’t been able to track it down on this thread.

I have a 2015 patrol and I was wondering if anyone had successfully used a coil shock with it? If so, I weigh around 170 with gear, spring recommendations?

Are there any shocks it don’t fit? Any compelling reasons why I should not do this or I should definitely do this?

I’ve read that bearings were a struggle when this bike came out, my frame bearings are good right now, has there been a fix or a style of bearing that is holding up longer?

I live on the coast of BC and enjoy riding the hard stuff, thank you for your help.

C

I wouldnt, if the leverage is any similar to the 2019. J8st save your pennies for a new patrol/scout if you really want a coil

https://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/2014/08/transition-patrol-275-2015.html

Looks like it is, overall progression is about 8% and progression from sag is about 9%.

Posted: Aug 1, 2022 at 9:51 Quote
Half my friends have been riding the 2019 patrol with the stock link and a coil shock since day 1 and have not had any issues. One of my friends doesn't really care about all the shock tuning stuff and just rides, he is beyond better than me and my fancy cascade link. Once you get into being really really good then I bet crunching progressive vs linear or will this be the optimal setup.. etc... would be time worthy.,. It's hilarious how much difference in opinion and off-putting everyone's replies are. Just run the damn coil and charge thru some chunk!!!

iridedj wrote:
powellriviera wrote:

C

O+
Posted: Aug 1, 2022 at 14:58 Quote
I ended up deciding to put a coil on with a progressive spring. Partially due to the performance of coil and partially due to the simplicity. In this age of ever increasing costs for service it just makes sense for me. I’ll update once I get a real feel for it.

Thanks for all the help and information.

Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 13:40 Quote
powellriviera wrote:

C

Page 33 onwards of this thread has a load of chit chat about coil shock on '15 Patrol, run by a number of guys in the early days of this thread.

O+
Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 19:41 Quote
[Quote="907nattylight"]Half my friends have been riding the 2019 patrol with the stock link and a coil shock since day 1 and have not had any issues. One of my friends doesn't really care about all the shock tuning stuff and just rides, he is beyond better than me and my fancy cascade link. Once you get into being really really good then I bet crunching progressive vs linear or will this be the optimal setup.. etc... would be time worthy.,. It's hilarious how much difference in opinion and off-putting everyone's replies are. Just run the damn coil and charge thru some chunk!!!

iridedj wrote:
[Quote="powellriviera"
I think weight makes a big difference. I could honestly see myself running 25 percent sag and being fine if I wasn't a fat bastard, but at 250+ the extra force I put through a shock when hitting big corners and lips is the problem. If I was still riding in north van and not hitting bike park it would probably just be fine. Or I'd just go progressive spring.

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 10:17 Quote
@iridedj

I cant attest to being in that weight category, we are all around the same size 170-190 lbs ..

At 250lbs+ I can see the kinematics of the system drastically changing under load.

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 12:21 Quote
Yeah I’m 175lbs ish and slightly struggling with the coil on a sentinel 2022 which is meant to be better for a coil. Progressive spring has improved things but not found a drop bigger than 2’ on my last few rides to try. When I get a 3 or 4’ drop that’ll be the proper test. If it fails that it’s either back to air on certain rides (I’ve still got the standard float x) or cascade link

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 22:15 Quote
I don't have trouble with drops at all, it's just big g outs like on high speed jumps and corners I don't have the support I need and it shoots me out unpredictably. The high end shock makes a big difference, cc kitsuma vs r's delux with no adjustment. I probably could have just gotten a high end air shock and been alright but the money is spent now haha.

Posted: Aug 20, 2022 at 18:25 Quote
Anyone having any headtube creaking issues on their AL 2021/22 Patrol or Spire? Ive replaced mine with a new Cane Creek ZS56, greased, pressed & reassembled to proper torque spec etc and its still very creaky.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022268
Mobile Version of Website