show off your Santa Cruz

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
show off your Santa Cruz
Posted: Sep 19, 2023 at 1:00 Quote
CascadeComponents wrote:
milanboez wrote:
Cheers all for the info. When I mention geo changes I suppose I mean with the overall setup - such as running 150 out back with the link and a 160 fork to compliment that. I'm running a 150 Pike and have a bb on low and it's great, until the rear gets a bit overwhelmed.

Cascade guy - ever tried a 150 | 160 v4 5010 with your link?
We generally don't get too into geo besides with the stock configuration because there are so many possibilities and generally those possibilities will be changed from stock in the same way. You can get the geo with 150mm of travel to feel pretty similar by keeping the wheel sag the same, but I think most people don't just want the extra travel to be past sag.

With SC stuff I typically don't go more than 10mm over the stock travel up front unless it's a dual crown on a Nomad or something like that. I find that 20mm and up is where the front starts feeling too tall and the shorter reach becomes noticeable. So most I've done is 150mm.

Nice one. How would you describe the differences running 140 out back between stock link and longer stroke, and cascade link and same stroke? I've read that in general, the cascade link is more progressive, but a little harsher on repeated square edge impacts / large chatter. Seems to be some disagreement regards to pop. Can you elaborate? Thanks

Posted: Sep 19, 2023 at 9:17 Quote
milanboez wrote:
Nice one. How would you describe the differences running 140 out back between stock link and longer stroke, and cascade link and same stroke? I've read that in general, the cascade link is more progressive, but a little harsher on repeated square edge impacts / large chatter. Seems to be some disagreement regards to pop. Can you elaborate? Thanks
Yes certainly more progressive. I think most of those impressions come down to shock set up and how people perceive certain characteristics. The square edge impacts are one of the reasons we like 27% sag (30% at the wheel). Too much sag at the wheel and you're just deep in travel too often for these impacts. You want to have enough bump travel for your wheel to clear a particular obstacle. Another thing there that influences feel is how fast you are riding. Higher speed impacts have enough energy where the wheel kind of moves out of the way of anything so at high speeds it's harder to find harshness like that. At low speeds you run into the same support that makes it pop. I think the different opinions on whether or not there is more pop pretty much comes down to what people think pop is. I think pop is really how solid of a platform there is to push against when you preload the suspension. So in that regard there is more pop. It seems a lot of people think of pop as how likely the bike is to bump jump when you slam it into a root or something and do nothing to preload the suspension. If the suspension isn't preloaded it's going to just kind of suck the root up.

O+
Posted: Sep 19, 2023 at 21:51 Quote
Making some progress on my Bronson build. I've been heavily considering moving to a Nomad, but the Bronson is plenty capable with the 38, Push coil, and DHR Evos with the dinner plate rotor upfront. Wheels/tires are next and then maybe I can finally give it a rest. Maybe.

I took it up to Squamish and Whistler and had a blast. I especially loved Alice Lake and can't wait to go back!

photo

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Sep 20, 2023 at 1:09 Quote
CascadeComponents wrote:
milanboez wrote:
Yes certainly more progressive. I think most of those impressions come down to shock set up and how people perceive certain characteristics. The square edge impacts are one of the reasons we like 27% sag (30% at the wheel). Too much sag at the wheel and you're just deep in travel too often for these impacts. You want to have enough bump travel for your wheel to clear a particular obstacle. Another thing there that influences feel is how fast you are riding. Higher speed impacts have enough energy where the wheel kind of moves out of the way of anything so at high speeds it's harder to find harshness like that. At low speeds you run into the same support that makes it pop. I think the different opinions on whether or not there is more pop pretty much comes down to what people think pop is. I think pop is really how solid of a platform there is to push against when you preload the suspension. So in that regard there is more pop. It seems a lot of people think of pop as how likely the bike is to bump jump when you slam it into a root or something and do nothing to preload the suspension. If the suspension isn't preloaded it's going to just kind of suck the root up.

Interesting points. For me pop is how eager the bike is to come off the ground be it a hop or a jump - but you don't hop a full sus in the same way as a BMX lol. Anyways I feel I need to give one of your links a go and see for myself!

Posted: Oct 23, 2023 at 3:41 Quote
140 or 150 fork on a 5010 v4 - what do ya'll think's best?

Posted: Oct 23, 2023 at 5:22 Quote
milanboez wrote:

I think it depends a bit on if it’s your only bike, what you usually ride, and what fork.

If it was my only bike and I tended to ride steep and natural trails more than dirt jumps and flow trails I’d go for a 150mm Lyrik. Otherwise I’d get a 140mm Pike.

Posted: Oct 23, 2023 at 7:29 Quote
riish wrote:
milanboez wrote:

I think it depends a bit on if it’s your only bike, what you usually ride, and what fork.

If it was my only bike and I tended to ride steep and natural trails more than dirt jumps and flow trails I’d go for a 150mm Lyrik. Otherwise I’d get a 140mm Pike.

I just ordered a new 2021 Lyrik ultimate super cheap. Comes with a 180mm air shaft so deciding between the two. I ride steep stuff and jumps.

O+
Posted: Oct 23, 2023 at 7:45 Quote
milanboez wrote:
riish wrote:
milanboez wrote:

I just ordered a new 2021 Lyrik ultimate super cheap. Comes with a 180mm air shaft so deciding between the two. I ride steep stuff and jumps.

I ran a 150mm Pike on mine with the cascade components in the long travel setting. Mini-bronson. It was great. I actually don't think I ever ran it at 140.

Posted: Oct 24, 2023 at 6:50 Quote
Anyone running their MT2 as a mullet? I'm getting tons of rear tire buzz on the steeps, and on big drops when my seat is slammed down. Or maybe I just get a new Nomad...

photo

Posted: Oct 24, 2023 at 7:50 Quote
photo
fredro wrote:
Anyone running their MT2 as a mullet? I'm getting tons of rear tire buzz on the steeps, and on big drops when my seat is slammed down. Or maybe I just get a new Nomad...

photo

Yes I’ve been running mine with smaller rear wheel.

Posted: Oct 24, 2023 at 8:02 Quote
How do you like it? How does it compare to the 29" rear? Geometry change, bb height, etc...?

Posted: Oct 24, 2023 at 8:17 Quote
Really like it. No rear tire buzz now. I did put an offset bush in front mount of shock to counter BB drop. Feels good to me. 165mm cranks 170mm forks.
Ran 165mm cranks with no issue either but I’ve just changed to hopes 155mm cranks so def won’t hit anything

Posted: Oct 24, 2023 at 8:27 Quote
Excellent. Thanks for response, will consider... I really love this bike as is, just get some tire buzz and the occasional pedal strike. Maybe smaller rear wheel and shorter cranks are in the near future, unless a new Nomad goes on sale soon. Just got shorter cranks for my Turbo Levo, and I really like the feel. But on my MT2, it's gonna be hard to replace my eewings...they're sooooo nice. We shall see..

Posted: Oct 24, 2023 at 9:50 Quote
Not a ht, nor a sc but a spire. Had to run it on a mixed wheel setup with a 2.8 magic mary at the rear(ex511 rim), and it is bloody brilliant. Yes, the bb is low, ha is slack af, but even with 175mm cranks pedalling is not too much of an issue. I already relaced the 29 rear, so gonna do some laps with each wheels and see which one i prefer. So i'd say go for it Fredro!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020712
Mobile Version of Website