Whats with Troy Lee helmets?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Whats with Troy Lee helmets?
Mod
Posted: Mar 7, 2009 at 19:04 Quote
The Dainese helmet is lighter than the TLD and is up to the "more" stringent standards of Europe.

Posted: Mar 7, 2009 at 19:16 Quote
mr-eric wrote:
i bought a bell bellistic and it broke on my 3rd time at whistler, i did a bit of a face plant in the boneyard. waste of $80
now i need a new one, one thats strong, i really want to but a tld and i do have more than enough money (being half chinese is awesome, chinese new year is way better than birthdays)
but im really cheap. the ones im thinkin about are the remedy, THE ONE, and d2
personally i would buy THE ONE but i cant find them in vancouver. so its between the remedy and d2. any hlp plz, and no comments for tld haters who never even tried one on.
Definently the Remedy. It's better for the price but if you have enough, get the D2 for sure. Everyone that has a THE helmet loves them so if you can find one, I'd get that. nvm I read the other comments. Get the D2.

Posted: Mar 7, 2009 at 19:17 Quote
forrestgimp wrote:
mr-eric wrote:
i bought a bell bellistic and it broke on my 3rd time at whistler, i did a bit of a face plant in the boneyard. waste of $80
now i need a new one, one thats strong, i really want to but a tld and i do have more than enough money (being half chinese is awesome, chinese new year is way better than birthdays)
but im really cheap. the ones im thinkin about are the remedy, THE ONE, and d2
personally i would buy THE ONE but i cant find them in vancouver. so its between the remedy and d2. any hlp plz, and no comments for tld haters who never even tried one on.
Definently the Remedy. It's better for the price but if you have enough, get the D2 for sure. Everyone that has a THE helmet loves them so if you can find one, I'd get that.

or try a 661 evolution

Posted: Mar 7, 2009 at 20:56 Quote
I got my Troy Lee because it fit the best. I've had problems finding a well priced comfortable helmet since giro stopped making the mad max

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 22:20 Quote
mr-eric wrote:
Wow, that's the first time I've ever heard of someone complaining about how a helmet protected their face....
They aren't supposed to be indestructible you know, quite the opposite in fact.

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 22:24 Quote
aniyn wrote:
mr-eric wrote:
Wow, that's the first time I've ever heard of someone complaining about how a helmet protected their face....
They aren't supposed to be indestructible you know, quite the opposite in fact.
yeah i know, but cmon, i bearly fell, all i did was slip out on some loose dirt and ended up scraping the side of the helmet. i mean it shouldnt do that, especially whem its new, i had to waste the rest of my day getting a new helmet

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 22:30 Quote
See this is where I draw the line. How do you know what happened? Is there a 3rd person video of the crash? Have you calculated the forces acting on the helmet? Do you understand how a helmet is loaded in a crash, do you have idea the damage that a full-face could have cause if it didn't break at that point?

It could have stayed perfectly intact then caught and broken your neck. But hell, lets just save the $80 and broken necks for everybody.

I imploded a Remedy jaw piece flying into a try face first. Sure I was bleeding after, but my jaw was intact. If it wouldn't have snapped who knows what could have happened, but the helmet broke away, slowing the impact, and I walked away.

Was I chocked my 3 week old Carbon Remedy was trashed? Nope, went to the LBS the next day did a little deal and ended up with a crash replacement and moved on.

Posted: May 26, 2009 at 7:37 Quote
foxytoe wrote:
because it teaches you to keep your head up when you fallWink
sounds like something they would say in football

Posted: May 26, 2009 at 7:55 Quote
DrDropoff wrote:
ajaxpowder wrote:
sykesy wrote:
personally i love to just throw a load of stickers on my lid and not worry about scratching my helmet, so long as it's reasonably light and has passed the required safety tests it'll be fine, here's mine, £45 in the sale nearly 3 years ago now and still going strong.(excuse the hair!)
photo

IMO anybody under 18 with a tld helmet may as well have a big 'rich kid here' sign on their head, they are just shiney fashion statements
acctually i can get troy lees for free cuz my 14 year old cousin is sponsered by them for mx racing
Whoa thats awesome, im pretty sure this isnt the "what stuff do i get for free thread" so im pretty sure no one cares...back on topic tld helmets are sick looking and light as hell but i could honestly never justify spending 200 dollars on a helmet when my 40$ one works fine.

after 3-5 years you should get a new lid anyways; the Styrofoam loses very important "bubbles" over time the less bubbles the less impact absorption.

older models should always be cheaper

Posted: May 26, 2009 at 7:57 Quote
deviant carbon for trail/freeriding

d2 for downhilling (will be replaced by a moto x lid though as it's time is over)

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 16:40 Quote
is tld safe?
i heard things about them being not approved and such.

Posted: Jun 25, 2009 at 8:28 Quote
way to bring up an old thread, but im pretty sure they all are approved and up to standards.

personally i like the dh-405 vegas from T.H.E.

Posted: Jun 25, 2009 at 8:32 Quote
cneums wrote:
way to bring up an old thread, but im pretty sure they all are approved and up to standards.

personally i like the dh-405 vegas from T.H.E.

I like THE helmets, just there no where near as comfortable as a Troy Lee.

Posted: Jun 25, 2009 at 8:47 Quote
its simple really

the more expensive your bike and riding gear, the faster u go, its just a fact of life
oh wait, they just look cool and people are posers

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.029030
Mobile Version of Website