Powered by Outside

Phoenix thread

PB Forum :: Pivot Cycles
Phoenix thread
Posted: Mar 1, 2019 at 23:12 Quote
norfiril wrote:
Good luck mate.

In May (more or less) the new Phoenix 29 will be announced. What do you think? 27.5 or 29?

If your a racer with enough skills and tall enough then I guess a 29er is an option, for everything and everyone else 27.5 looks the way to go

O+
Posted: Mar 4, 2019 at 6:24 Quote
bike2850 wrote:
hello, i might be getting a phoenix frame which im stoked on. there is a used frame that im looking at, is there anything to look out for like bearing life or anything like that? also im five foot ten so i was thinking a medium is what i need. is there anything about the sizing that would push me to a large or will the medium work?
thanks

I would say the medium will work but you know, new geometries have longer reach. If you can try before buying would be great.

Posted: Mar 4, 2019 at 7:15 Quote
mizzter-b wrote:
EsPeGe wrote:
mizzter-b wrote:
Just a thought........It won’t be the same as coil......but you could try taking the air volume spacers out to reduce the ramp up?

That's something that didn't occur to me but a damn good idea. That's the first thing I'm going to try when I get home. It will certainly be the cheapest option to try!!!!

Cheers man.

tup

How did you get on?

FL
Posted: Mar 6, 2019 at 15:27 Quote
norfiril wrote:
bike2850 wrote:
hello, i might be getting a phoenix frame which im stoked on. there is a used frame that im looking at, is there anything to look out for like bearing life or anything like that? also im five foot ten so i was thinking a medium is what i need. is there anything about the sizing that would push me to a large or will the medium work?
thanks

I would say the medium will work but you know, new geometries have longer reach. If you can try before buying would be great.

I am around 5 10 (177cm) and have a medium. I love how it handles both - rough and more flowy Bikepark tracks. the only thing id change is a longer reach. but this is a general feeling i have lately. next bike will be L for me but i got kinda longer upper body or arms..at least it feels that way. but wheelbase considered playfulness to highspeed stability ratio of this size is spot on for me.

as for the coil or air spring...
id not put a coil shock on. the kinematics (quite linear)are just not really made for it. i have all volume spacers in the fox x2 and need to set the sag between 25-28% in order not to use too much travel all the time. and not to pedal slam it too often in rock gardens. it is a little hard to figure your personal setting but once you come close to the optimum the bike feels awesome with the air shock. start from the pivot recommended settings and work your way up from there...mine are a bit different than pivot recommends... if you wanna now more, ask specific question. coming from an Aurum with a cane creek double barrel coil. I know what you mean but in high speed i don't realise that much of a difference. everything is always a compromise anyway. as it is in size, coil/ air or which girl you choose for you future live.
cheers
i am not even close to the speed of a WC rider but i am ok good /fast on the bike i guess. hitting quite big jumps...just so you get an idea of where i am.

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 at 0:21 Quote
mizzter-b wrote:
mizzter-b wrote:
EsPeGe wrote:

That's something that didn't occur to me but a damn good idea. That's the first thing I'm going to try when I get home. It will certainly be the cheapest option to try!!!!

Cheers man.

tup

How did you get on?

Hey mate haven't had a lot of time on it to know for sure but it does feel heaps better. Both forks and shocks had 4 volume spacers each in them which surprised me. I thought they came with 2. So I've ripped 2 out of each will test and adjust as necessary. I think I'll go back to factory settings for rebound and compression first so that I start from a known point. I've got a DH race at the end of the month with 2 full days of riding the trail beforehand so I'll be able to give it plenty of attention. I'll report back after that.

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 at 0:25 Quote
C
EsPeGe wrote:
mizzter-b wrote:
mizzter-b wrote:

tup

How did you get on?

Hey mate haven't had a lot of time on it to know for sure but it does feel heaps better. Both forks and shocks had 4 volume spacers each in them which surprised me. I thought they came with 2. So I've ripped 2 out of each will test and adjust as necessary. I think I'll go back to factory settings for rebound and compression first so that I start from a known point. I've got a DH race at the end of the month with 2 full days of riding the trail beforehand so I'll be able to give it plenty of attention. I'll report back after that.

tup

Posted: Apr 1, 2019 at 16:19 Quote
mizzter-b wrote:

How did you get on?

Hey mate thanks heaps. I only ended up getting one day on the bike instead of the 4 I had planned. Racing was cancelled due........ SNOW!!!!! and loads of it. Too much to have raced in. But after following your suggestion and removing some volume spacers the bike feels sooo much closer to what I am after. I still prefer a coil but this is starting to feel really good. I still have some fine tuning to go but it's waay better.

Appreciate your help dude.

Cheers Scott.

Posted: Apr 2, 2019 at 0:06 Quote
EsPeGe wrote:
mizzter-b wrote:

How did you get on?

Hey mate thanks heaps. I only ended up getting one day on the bike instead of the 4 I had planned. Racing was cancelled due........ SNOW!!!!! and loads of it. Too much to have raced in. But after following your suggestion and removing some volume spacers the bike feels sooo much closer to what I am after. I still prefer a coil but this is starting to feel really good. I still have some fine tuning to go but it's waay better.

Appreciate your help dude.

Cheers Scott.

Glad to hear its helped.....Big Grin

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 13:04 Quote
sizing: im 5'7, 150-155. athletic build, aggressive rider. steep riding on volcanic rock but also spend just as much time in the air jumping. want something i can ride hard, but whip around as well.

S or M?

currently phoenix and commencal furious are the shortlist. any input on this is also appreciated.

O+
Posted: Jun 9, 2020 at 17:16 Quote
RIDEthePNW wrote:
sizing: im 5'7, 150-155. athletic build, aggressive rider. steep riding on volcanic rock but also spend just as much time in the air jumping. want something i can ride hard, but whip around as well.

S or M?

currently phoenix and commencal furious are the shortlist. any input on this is also appreciated.

Since I preffer more stable bike I would go for a M size no doubt.

I had the Phoenix for more than 3 years and also rode the Furious for more than a week. If you can afford the Phoenix it's a better bike for racing and lighter to whip around it is a very customizable ride.

The Commençal is a good bike for the price but it plays on a different league than the Phoenix. Said that it is a super fun bike to ride, simple and easier to get used to it.

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 23, 2020 at 0:18 Quote
Hey looking at the Phoenix, I'm looking mostly for flow jump trails with occasional tech trails to mix it up like 80% flow and jumps 20% tech. Pinkie review say not playful at all just a race machine and vital say the opposite super playful and poppy. What are your thoughts?

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 24, 2020 at 20:10 Quote
Also I'm 5'8 used to a banshee darkside could get a deal on a phoenix frame in small which is almost exactly the same as my medium banshee minus 10mm reach but longer wheelbase. I'm not into racing at all or shaving seconds on technical runs I'm mostly all about jump lines and flow trails. Would the small frame fit me well? Thanks

O+
Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 8:41 Quote
Well if you are going mostly for flow trails both bikes do the work, also a big enduro does.

If you are talking about Phoenix 27.5 of course you can race it, it's a bullet but also a lot customizable. When it comes to jumping it's more poppy and lively than a V10 (which is my current bike) IMHO and also lighter than the Furious.

The only disadvantages I see on the Phoenix are the price (normally it is way more expensive than the furious) and maybe it can take longer to get used to it

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 10:18 Quote
norfiril wrote:
Well if you are going mostly for flow trails both bikes do the work, also a big enduro does.

If you are talking about Phoenix 27.5 of course you can race it, it's a bullet but also a lot customizable. When it comes to jumping it's more poppy and lively than a V10 (which is my current bike) IMHO and also lighter than the Furious.

The only disadvantages I see on the Phoenix are the price (normally it is way more expensive than the furious) and maybe it can take longer to get used to it

Thanks for the reply, the only reason I'm looking at Phoenix is I can get a really good deal on a small frame with shock usually they were way to expensive. The small frame is like the 2018 medium furious I'm looking at which is well priced as well.

O+
Posted: Jun 27, 2020 at 9:15 Quote
As I wrote before last year I had the chance to ride the Furious for one week in Andorra.

It's a great bike for the price and also it's one of those bikes you jump on it and almost instantly feel comfortable on it. I would say it is an easy bike on every way.

On the tech trails like the world cup it really do the job but you can really notice its limitations compared to a more reined suspension system like the one in the Phoenix.

Also the one I rode was pretty heavy because the building was more or less basic.

Keep in mind the Phoenix has 10 year warranty and it is a great bike for jumping also. My skills are pretty average and with the Phoenix I had no problems to whip it on all dirt merchant jumps (in 2016 I saw last year the trail suffered important upgrades).

If I was you I would go with the one I like the most. I think you will be happy with either bike you choose

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.056518
Mobile Version of Website