Powered by Outside

Kona Process 134 Thread

PB Forum :: Kona
Kona Process 134 Thread
O+ FL
Posted: Jun 21, 2023 at 12:51 Quote
nofearccracer wrote:
Just picked up a 2019 134 SE. What are the moves with this bike? I know a lot of guys liked to upgrade the brakes and the fork? Any other suggestions from guys who rode the older design 134?
I’m running 150mm fork up front a -2° headset (I have a 2016 which had the 68° headtube, they changed it to 67° in 2017). I was able to install a 12 speed Eagle drivetrain on mine (GX and up cassettes won’t fit due to non-boost). I have SLX brakes with a 200mm rotor front and 180mm in the rear. Bonus I was able to find 190x50 Cane Creek Inline air before they stopped making the size and that has been my favorite upgrade for my trails and type of riding. I’ve had my bike since buying it new in 2017. I have gradually upgraded it overtime. I know there are better bikes and I’d love one but for now until I can get one mine still rides great and I haven’t ridden it on anything yet that it hasn’t handled. Enjoy and if you ever need help with anything (I’ve literally taken every single piece of this bike apart and put it back together) feel free to DM me!

O+
Posted: Jun 23, 2023 at 8:07 Quote
eshew wrote:
That's about it, maybe upgrade to 11 speed if the granny gear isn't big enough for you. Merlin cycles has a sale on Shimano disc brakes and there are a ton of sales on 27.5 forks.

Do make sure to ride the piss out of it prior to pulling the trigger just to make sure you need the upgrades. Really only needed if you're flogging it.

Appreciate the input man! I get a really good deal on Magura brakes so most likely going to go with something from them as the first upgrade. The cassette does have a decent amount of wear on it so before long itll need replaced and 11spd is probably what ill go with!

O+
Posted: Jun 23, 2023 at 8:08 Quote
midwest-mtb wrote:
nofearccracer wrote:
Just picked up a 2019 134 SE. What are the moves with this bike? I know a lot of guys liked to upgrade the brakes and the fork? Any other suggestions from guys who rode the older design 134?
I’m running 150mm fork up front a -2° headset (I have a 2016 which had the 68° headtube, they changed it to 67° in 2017). I was able to install a 12 speed Eagle drivetrain on mine (GX and up cassettes won’t fit due to non-boost). I have SLX brakes with a 200mm rotor front and 180mm in the rear. Bonus I was able to find 190x50 Cane Creek Inline air before they stopped making the size and that has been my favorite upgrade for my trails and type of riding. I’ve had my bike since buying it new in 2017. I have gradually upgraded it overtime. I know there are better bikes and I’d love one but for now until I can get one mine still rides great and I haven’t ridden it on anything yet that it hasn’t handled. Enjoy and if you ever need help with anything (I’ve literally taken every single piece of this bike apart and put it back together) feel free to DM me!

Awesome info! Im sure we will be talking soon!

Posted: Jul 11, 2023 at 11:12 Quote
Has anyone changed the crankset on one of the newer (2020+) Process 134 models? I am looking to get new cranks and assume the cranks are standard boost (52.0mm) chainline spacing but see several companies also make boost wide (55.0mm) spacing.

O+
Posted: Jul 11, 2023 at 11:36 Quote
konakula20 wrote:
Has anyone changed the crankset on one of the newer (2020+) Process 134 models? I am looking to get new cranks and assume the cranks are standard boost (52.0mm) chainline spacing but see several companies also make boost wide (55.0mm) spacing.

Standard chain line on all the 134's from the base Alu to the CR/DL is 52.0mm chain line.

O+
Posted: Aug 7, 2023 at 7:49 Quote
Anyone know what adapter i need to run a 180mm rotor on the older frame, 2019 process 134 SE? Thought I ordered the correct one with my brakes but turns out I was wrong.

Posted: Aug 7, 2023 at 8:18 Quote
I'm guessing you bought a +20 post to post adapter? I reckon you'll be needing a rear IS to 180 post adapter. Shimano part # ISMMA90R180PS should do the trick.

O+
Posted: Aug 7, 2023 at 10:57 Quote
You are exactly correct

Posted: Dec 13, 2023 at 0:22 Quote
Hello, recently ordered a used Process 134 29 2020 the AL base version

Having some questions, how I can run a shimano crank? (really hate the sx and I could use an old xt hollotech I have)
Also I would like to mullet it + 150 fork (trying to move parts from another bike)
checked on the bike-stats how the geometry would change and the differences look minor(+1cm down for bb, -1cm on reach), anyone try it should I expect major changes on the handle?
Lastly what shox options do I have for upgrade, would like something that can lock out

Thanks,
will post updates once I have the bike ready

Posted: Dec 13, 2023 at 9:17 Quote
To run a Shimano crank you'll just need to buy the crank and the BB to match (PF92 BB). For a shock, anything 210 x 55 trunnion will do the job. I have the 27.5 version and I gave it XT cranks and a Fox Float DPS shock. Maybe not burly enough for everybody, but I'm not heavy and I don't tend to monster truck over things, so it's well suited for me (and has the 3 position climb switch). I didn't overfork mine so I can't speak to that.

You should confirm those specs, though--the back of the seat tube near the BB on every recent Kona lists its BB spec, shock spec, seat tube size, derailleur hanger, and probably a few other specs.

O+
Posted: Dec 14, 2023 at 8:15 Quote
barp wrote:
To run a Shimano crank you'll just need to buy the crank and the BB to match (PF92 BB). For a shock, anything 210 x 55 trunnion will do the job. I have the 27.5 version and I gave it XT cranks and a Fox Float DPS shock. Maybe not burly enough for everybody, but I'm not heavy and I don't tend to monster truck over things, so it's well suited for me (and has the 3 position climb switch). I didn't overfork mine so I can't speak to that.

You should confirm those specs, though--the back of the seat tube near the BB on every recent Kona lists its BB spec, shock spec, seat tube size, derailleur hanger, and probably a few other specs.

Is the 27.5 AL shock stroke different then the CR? My '21 29 CR/DL is 185x55

Posted: Dec 14, 2023 at 8:27 Quote
Could be! Kona's not great about putting that info online so I couldn't confirm, but it should be printed on the back of the seattube as I mentioned.

Posted: Feb 9, 2024 at 7:21 Quote
I found a used 2021 process 134 27.5 size small. Would this be to big for a 5’0” rider?

Posted: Feb 9, 2024 at 7:38 Quote
For 5' XS would be ideal

Posted: Feb 24, 2024 at 20:09 Quote
Are any of you guys riding the 2023 134 base model? Just got one new for a good deal and wondering how these things have been for you guys so far? I think it looks awesome and we perform far better than my old bike, but there are alot of things I'd want to change to make it "my bike". Just curious as I kind of had a little buyers remorse thinking I should've saved for something else.... thanks in advance.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.028561
Mobile Version of Website