Powered by Outside

2022 Epic Evo

PB Forum :: Specialized
2022 Epic Evo
Posted: Mar 3, 2022 at 4:35 Quote
dundundata wrote:
I question the claim that Specialized in any way condones this. The Stumpjumper has max travel of 150 and EpicEvo 120 according to the manuals.

I've been riding quite a few S bikes over the years, and always read that typically +10mm travel is approved and safe. However they did increase the 16-18 Stumpy from 140 to 150 forks, so in that sense those +10mm was a moving target.

140mm probably works fine, but it the decrease in HTA would also mean a slacker STA? Not sure I'd want that for my use of the bike. Anyways, I was toying with the idea of beefing up my EE, but dropped it as I got a StEvo as a sidekick. I figure a lot of people (perhaps including me) could get along with a regular Stumpy with an extra wheelset, and this might be a better deal than trying to mod the EE for rowdiness or the StEvo for mellower stuff. Just like intended, I guess.

Posted: Mar 4, 2022 at 15:37 Quote
I just picked up a Epic Evo Comp and immediately switched out for Roval Carbon wheels. I was curious if anyone had any insight into the stock wheels and hubs they're putting on this bike. The site labels them as "Specialized, hookless alloy, 30mm internal width, tubeless ready, 28 hole." Are these just cheap unbranded wheels that Specialized is contracting out due to supply chain? i would have assumed a mid-tier Specialized would have still come with lower end Rovals in the past. The hubs are in the same boat, labeled as "Alloy, sealed cartridge bearings, 15x110mm Boost front, 12x148mm Boost rear with XD driver." They are just black and unbranded. The dealer told me they were unbranded Roval wheels with DT Swiss hub innards, but he didn't seem 100% confident. Specialized did not return my email with the same question.

O+
Posted: Mar 4, 2022 at 17:24 Quote
Cboswel1 wrote:
I just picked up a Epic Evo Comp and immediately switched out for Roval Carbon wheels. I was curious if anyone had any insight into the stock wheels and hubs they're putting on this bike. The site labels them as "Specialized, hookless alloy, 30mm internal width, tubeless ready, 28 hole." Are these just cheap unbranded wheels that Specialized is contracting out due to supply chain? i would have assumed a mid-tier Specialized would have still come with lower end Rovals in the past. The hubs are in the same boat, labeled as "Alloy, sealed cartridge bearings, 15x110mm Boost front, 12x148mm Boost rear with XD driver." They are just black and unbranded. The dealer told me they were unbranded Roval wheels with DT Swiss hub innards, but he didn't seem 100% confident. Specialized did not return my email with the same question.

Those aren't Roval's, and they may be DT 370 hub internals. So yeah, basically a cheap unbranded wheel.

Posted: Mar 4, 2022 at 17:43 Quote
Simann wrote:
Cboswel1 wrote:

Those aren't Roval's, and they may be DT 370 hub internals. So yeah, basically a cheap unbranded wheel.

It's wild what supply chain has done to stock builds. I still couldn't believe the Expert model came with that X1 Alloy crank.

O+
Posted: Mar 4, 2022 at 21:51 Quote
Suppose I can add mine to the list now....

-Base level L complete, stripped to the frame and ride wrapped
-34 w/ grip2 damper at 120mm
-Factory DPS in the rear
-Bike yoke Devine 160mm (by the skin of it's teeth)
-SC reserve 28s, 54t ratchet, reserve valves
-Deity stuff to hold on to
-XTR rear end, XT cranks
-XT 4 pot stoppers
-Wheels bb

Lesson learned about this frame:
-Rear brake caliper clearance sucks
-Removing the fork and routing cables are a breeze
-The 220mm dropper insertion estimate is very conservative. The way the angles are you have plenty of room for the mechanism to clear, even when you're maxed out with respect to seat post OD tube insertion.

so far, I'm really liking the bike (in the honeymoon phase). I built it to replace an Ibis Ripley, and complement a Stumpy Evo. I think if they tweaked that seat tube a little and fixed the brake pad retaining bolt access issue, it would be close to perfect. That and perhaps integrate a little mini-SWAT tube.

photo
photo

O+
Posted: Mar 5, 2022 at 6:45 Quote
Hell yes! Love the grey and orange!

I agree, if they were able to get away with a mini SWAT frame storage that would be incredible. The external cage SWAT box is nice but it has a tendency to scratch up frames when it bounces around.

Posted: Mar 5, 2022 at 11:38 Quote
Hello again. Just put on Roval traverse SL wheels and fox 34 grip 130mm on 21 EE, I’ve done some searching and have not found a concrete answer. So, has anyone increased the stroke to 45mm? I’m not a RS fan and found a deal on fox 190x45.
Thanks
Mike

Posted: Mar 8, 2022 at 11:58 Quote
No one can confirm 45mm?

O+
Posted: Mar 8, 2022 at 15:34 Quote
I don't really see a performance benefit of increasing the stroke a measly 5mm. Moreover, the rear triangle has a flex-stay, and despite assuming there is wiggle room engineered into the maximum deflection under compression of the flex seat stay, I would shy away from increasing stroke to gain more rear travel with this kind of suspension design. The only issue with conventional suspension designs when adding additional stroke is interference with seat tubes at max compression. The Epic Evo's flex stay adds an additional issue, which involves structural integrity.

Either way, you can just shim your 190x45 shock down 5mm to keep the 190x40. Most of these shocks are 190x45 anyways and include a spacer.

Posted: Mar 8, 2022 at 16:38 Quote
Thx. I understand all the geo and performance of the rear triangle. Just checking to see if anyone has run a 45mm w no problems. I’m for some reason trying to make this a light aggressive down country. Just what I’d like to do with this bike. The front range of CO can be rowdy. Just wanna beef it up

O+
Posted: Mar 8, 2022 at 19:24 Quote
Simann wrote:
I don't really see a performance benefit of increasing the stroke a measly 5mm. Moreover, the rear triangle has a flex-stay, and despite assuming there is wiggle room engineered into the maximum deflection under compression of the flex seat stay, I would shy away from increasing stroke to gain more rear travel with this kind of suspension design. The only issue with conventional suspension designs when adding additional stroke is interference with seat tubes at max compression. The Epic Evo's flex stay adds an additional issue, which involves structural integrity.

Either way, you can just shim your 190x45 shock down 5mm to keep the 190x40. Most of these shocks are 190x45 anyways and include a spacer.

I can confirm this - my 190x40 fresh from fox has a 5mm spacer in it… which was a surprise to me when I first changed a volume spacer.

O+
Posted: Mar 8, 2022 at 19:25 Quote
Simann wrote:
Hell yes! Love the grey and orange!

I agree, if they were able to get away with a mini SWAT frame storage that would be incredible. The external cage SWAT box is nice but it has a tendency to scratch up frames when it bounces around.

I’m hoping it comes in the next version. If I were to do it all again today, I might just get a stumpy and be done with it, but I have a soft spot for XC bikes for long days out.

O+
Posted: Mar 9, 2022 at 5:26 Quote
I had a 2022 S works Stumpy...and an Epic Evo.....and a SJ Evo all at the same time. Decided to keep the EE and SJEvo as the regular stumpy was not enough in either direction, but for someone wanting a single bike, a perfect buy.

But i'm in your camp, hopefully Specialized finds a way to get a internal SWAT box in the Epic Evo.

O+
Posted: Mar 9, 2022 at 17:07 Quote
Simann wrote:
I had a 2022 S works Stumpy...and an Epic Evo.....and a SJ Evo all at the same time. Decided to keep the EE and SJEvo as the regular stumpy was not enough in either direction, but for someone wanting a single bike, a perfect buy.

But i'm in your camp, hopefully Specialized finds a way to get a internal SWAT box in the Epic Evo.

This confirms my original thought process lol… don’t have one bike that is just a compromise between the others. I’m excited for this riding season to put them both through their paces.

O+
Posted: Mar 20, 2022 at 18:54 Quote
photo

Build finally complete

Frameset: 2022 Specialized S-Works Epic Evo 110mm (L)
Fork: 2022 Fox 34 GRIP2 130mm
Wheels: Roval Control 29 6B 29mm ID w/ DT 350 Hubs
Derailleur: SRAM XX1 AXS w/ Custom Finished KCNC OSPW Cage
Cassette: SRAM 10-52T XG-1299 Copper
Crankset: SRAM XX1 EAGLE DUB SL Quarq AXS 170mm
Brakes: SRAM G2 Ultimate w/ 180 rotors
Dropper: Fox Transfer 30.9 150mm
Handlebar: Race Face Next SL
Stem: Race Face Turbine R 40mm
Tires: Maxxis Aspen 2.4 WT EXO/TR
Seat: Bontrager Montrose Pro

Weight without pedals: 23.6 lb (10.7 kg)
Weight with XTR-M9100: 24.3 lb (11 kg)

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.033604
Mobile Version of Website