Powered by Outside

STP: General Discussion

PB Forum :: Giant
STP: General Discussion
Posted: Jun 22, 2008 at 8:02 Quote
samnation wrote:
I'm thinking of stripping my STP down and painting it how hard are they to strip?
just get a tin of nitromors and get most of it off then get the rest with wet and dry paper.

O+
Posted: Jun 22, 2008 at 8:09 Quote
hey i was wondering why many ppl have gears on the o8 stp loenskys, im not dissing, do you like gears in a hardtail or have you not changed the stock drivetrain

-Harrison

Posted: Jun 22, 2008 at 8:22 Quote
hmendel wrote:
hey i was wondering why many ppl have gears on the o8 stp loenskys, im not dissing, do you like gears in a hardtail or have you not changed the stock drivetrain

-Harrison

i ride gears on my stp.

whats the point of having 1 gear when you can have 8 or 9. as long as they work properly and you can set it up right gears are much better.

O+
Posted: Jun 22, 2008 at 8:27 Quote
neilv wrote:
hmendel wrote:

-Harrison

i ride gears on my stp.

whats the point of having 1 gear when you can have 8 or 9. as long as they work properly and you can set it up right gears are much better.

i ride single speed on mine cause i wanted to try t-whips and 360s and not have to worry about ruining a drivetrain

-Harrison

Posted: Jun 22, 2008 at 8:29 Quote
hmendel wrote:
neilv wrote:
hmendel wrote:

-Harrison

i ride gears on my stp.

i ride single speed on mine cause i wanted to try t-whips and 360s and not have to worry about ruining a drivetrain

-Harrison

i can do bar spins and 360's on mine. working on tailwhips at the moment. i just run a long enogh cable and run my front brake through by steerer tube. havent had a problem.

O+
Posted: Jun 22, 2008 at 8:35 Quote
I can do threes and working on t-whips but i just didn't want to worry bout the drivetrain and also i have a full suspension too

-Harrison

Posted: Jun 22, 2008 at 10:16 Quote
same i hav an 8" onbe. but im also getting a rigid, ss 24" bike for the more park stuff.

but i found that having 1 gear doesnt work for dj's and stuff because every set is different and the best gear is always different. mine is set up tight and doesnt bounce aroud and stuff sop it works well.

the best set up is a 9spd small ratio cassette with a super short cage road derailleur and a 32t chainguide. keeps it nice and tight and doesnt shake and stuff

Posted: Jun 22, 2008 at 10:24 Quote
MR-STP2 wrote:
cowieuk wrote:
mongoose-rider wrote:
where can you get these in the uk??

An STP? Your local Giant dealer can get you them, frame only costs £295

and yet the full bike only costs £300 i could never figure that one out
STP frame: Better quality paint, Different paint scheme.

STP2: Cheap paint, Cheap weak parts and manufacturers price.

Posted: Jun 22, 2008 at 13:30 Quote
cowieuk wrote:
ilikemybike011 wrote:
MR-STP2 wrote:

and yet the full bike only costs £300 i could never figure that one out

Frame is $300, not £300...

The Giant STP when bought as frame only costs £295

photo

If you're paying £295 for that, that's very unfortunate....

Posted: Jun 22, 2008 at 13:35 Quote
ilikemybike011 wrote:
photo

If you're paying £295 for that, that's very unfortunate....
Think of yourself as lucky:

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/id39552.html

Posted: Jun 22, 2008 at 13:36 Quote
The difference in product pricing between countries is a little more difficult to explain than just changing the exchange rate.

Holy shit that's almost $600!

300 British pounds = 592.53 U.S. dollars

uhoh, someone is wasting money...
come here and buy it for 300 bucks
haha

Posted: Jun 22, 2008 at 13:39 Quote
ezekiel82 wrote:
The difference in product pricing between countries is a little more difficult to explain than just changing the exchange rate.
Very true but the most i can think of is shipping. What other factors effect the pricing?

Posted: Jun 22, 2008 at 13:42 Quote
Yesss so true about the price diff. I'm american living in europe and the prices on bike stuff over here is ridiculous. Luckily, I can order my stuff from the u.s. and have it shipped over for the same price as if I lived in the states.
In the case of the euro, they take the manufacturer's suggested retail price, and just chang the currency symbol to the euro, or whatever. So if something is advertised for $100 u.s., then I know the shops downtown are going to charge me 100 euro.
So to those living in the u.s., enjoy it while you can, along with the $4.00 per gallon gas...we're paying almost $9.00 per gallon.

And to the dude that wants to strip his STP to repaint it, you don't need to strip it down to the bare metal. In the FAQ's right here on PB, there's a great link in there on repainting frames, check it out.

Yes, there is more to it than just the exchange rate. A lot of it has to do with import fees, taxes, and customs. But isn't it funny how it all ends up like I said in my first paragraph...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.717945
Mobile Version of Website