Powered by Outside

Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
O+
Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 10:21 Quote
Any of you ever run a cordless chainsaw? I have a few big saws, but my little limbing and trail work saw died a few years back.. I have been really considering replacing it with a Makita 36v Cordless one..

Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 10:24 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
Any of you ever run a cordless chainsaw? I have a few big saws, but my little limbing and trail work saw died a few years back.. I have been really considering replacing it with a Makita 36v Cordless one..

Yep pretty rad. Not a lot of use with one but they are pretty quiet and efficient.

O+
Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 10:29 Quote
I like them too. No fuel to spill in a backpack.

Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 10:31 Quote
I was talking with a dude who has been using a cordless Dewalt one for a while now. He swears he’ll never buy another gas one for trail building and general around the yard/acreage use. I’m considering one as well.

Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 10:50 Quote
We have a Stihl at work and it's awesome. I would think any of the major brands would be pretty good. I would buy a DeWalt because I already have the batteries and chargers.

O+
Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 10:53 Quote
We just had 9 inches of snow and still had full leaves on our trees.. So we lost a huge number of trees and branches around town.. I am going to go buy a Makita saw. I love running my 32" bar saw.. But it's a bit overkill for cutting up 3" branches all day.

Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 11:14 Quote
swan3609 wrote:

I have Makita. 16 inch bar. It is very handy, worked well for me, but it is not a heavy duty tool for big jobs.

I do take it with me when wheeling and it served well. It is not a lightweight tool to easily carry around.

O+
Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 11:23 Quote
Retirement Island fever...

Been looking at properties from the east coast to the west coast of Canada... the tiny limited access islands offer some incredible values.

The tough part is trying to crystal ball just how slow a life we’ll be content with as we get more sedentary. I Imagine hermiting on an island is pretty damn slow.

I’m weird af already... a few years of just me talking to baby goats on an island would perhaps be a step too far Eek

O+
Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 11:28 Quote
Axxe wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

I have Makita. 16 inch bar. It is very handy, worked well for me, but it is not a heavy duty tool for big jobs.

I do take it with me when wheeling and it served well. It is not a lightweight tool to easily carry around.

I have big saws for big jobs.. I am looking at a 14-16 bar type saw. Definitely the limbing or small yard work.. Or for tossing on the moto for small trail work projects.

We don't burn firewood anymore, so saws are used much more infrequently than when we were cutting 10 cord a year.

Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 13:41 Quote
mtnmanjake wrote:
Retirement Island fever...

Been looking at properties from the east coast to the west coast of Canada... the tiny limited access islands offer some incredible values.

The tough part is trying to crystal ball just how slow a life we’ll be content with as we get more sedentary. I Imagine hermiting on an island is pretty damn slow.

I’m weird af already... a few years of just me talking to baby goats on an island would perhaps be a step too far Eek

As long as your just talking to them.....

I'd be good to retire on a island. Like Survivor tv show. As long as animals to eat. Fish to catch. Basic boat. Build a house ala Gilligan's island.

And f*ck off world.

Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 14:08 Quote
I want to keep access to internet and emergency health care.

Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 14:39 Quote
Just got to meet and walk the Stool Bus for the first time. SO STOKED! Its going to be awesome. Its the perfect blend of like old style and rustic new... no mistaking its a buss inside but its just charming as hell. Definitely No Regratts

Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 14:43 Quote
I thought I'd have a read through PB's latest BLM inspired article comments. It didn't disappoint; bunch of white folks arguing over what is and what isn't racism. Makes me laugh every time. lol

Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 15:21 Quote
Yep ! One of the girls in our office is gay, she absolutely hates the term " LGBT Community" she just wants to be thought as a person. She says it's degrading when the term is used, do away with it and the stereo type goes away. Same with race in MHO. Oh by the way she is voting for Trump also.

Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 16:13 Quote
i have five chainsaws and two are electric. but corded. i love those saws a lot and figure the battery saws would likely work quite well. but i have lots of angle grinders too and the battery ones dont work as well as corded.

i would look at milwaukee first out of personal experience bias. i own tons of dewalt power tools too but am frustrated with their track record of changing thier charging platforms. milwaukee for me has a preferable charging station and battery life record. for me.
makita has let me down once too many times to continue buying their products.

i like islands, but my island life has only experienced haida gwaii, hawaii, new zealand and a buncha small ontario islands. and whatever you call new brunswick and nova scotia.
haida gwaii would be awesome to retire on.

watching UFC pay per views in the middle of the day was unique. i won't ruin it but the fights were entertaining and surprising as well.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.067577
Mobile Version of Website