SCOUT's fall in!

PB Forum :: Transition
SCOUT's fall in!
Posted: Dec 17, 2023 at 18:14 Quote
dookeh wrote:
I'm 6' and just picked up a '22 frame in size medium. Am I going to be able to pedal this thing while seated?

would be quite tight, slam the saddle back and maybe get some higher rise bars

Posted: Dec 17, 2023 at 18:44 Quote
460 reach and 593 TT

The medium commencal meta sx is 460 reach 590 TT and they recommend it for up to 5'11", so I'm hoping it will work ok. All my other bikes are size large, but i wanted this one to be really tossable since I've been spending more time riding the dj lately.

Posted: Dec 17, 2023 at 19:25 Quote
I'm 6ft in me boots an I find my 2018 medium a hairs width too big....

Posted: Dec 17, 2023 at 19:35 Quote
naptime wrote:
I'm 6ft in me boots an I find my 2018 medium a hairs width too big....
It looks like the '22 is 10mm shorter than yours in the effective top tube. I could probably try to sit on one somewhere before I start the build I suppose.

Posted: Dec 31, 2023 at 13:14 Quote
Ok, I'm looking for a little advice. I'm building my medium scout with a higher offset 160 lyrik I had laying around. This is going to drop the head angle to ~63.5. I'm wanting the bike to be a sharper handling jibby trail bike kind of build which is why I downsized. My question is should I be looking at an angled headset and/or dropping the fork to steepen the hta? On my enduro bikes I tend to like the high/steep settings.

Thanks!

Posted: Jan 1, 2024 at 22:54 Quote
dookeh wrote:
Ok, I'm looking for a little advice. I'm building my medium scout with a higher offset 160 lyrik I had laying around. This is going to drop the head angle to ~63.5. I'm wanting the bike to be a sharper handling jibby trail bike kind of build which is why I downsized. My question is should I be looking at an angled headset and/or dropping the fork to steepen the hta? On my enduro bikes I tend to like the high/steep settings.

Thanks!

It’s not unwieldy with a 160mm Lyrik by any means, but definitely feels like a slack bike. If I were you I’d pick up a 150mm airshaft when I came across a cheap one then drop that in during a fork service. Should tighten up the handling a bit without drastically altering things like an angle set might. In the meantime though don’t overthink it! Jib it up with the slacker front end, it can still be a really playful bike

Posted: Jan 2, 2024 at 11:03 Quote
jakalwil wrote:
dookeh wrote:

Thanks!

It’s not unwieldy with a 160mm Lyrik by any means, but definitely feels like a slack bike. If I were you I’d pick up a 150mm airshaft when I came across a cheap one then drop that in during a fork service. Should tighten up the handling a bit without drastically altering things like an angle set might. In the meantime though don’t overthink it! Jib it up with the slacker front end, it can still be a really playful bike

Not overthinking, just trying to get it right the first time so I'm not wasting money on parts. Thanks for the advice!

Posted: Jan 6, 2024 at 8:40 Quote
photo

I swear this is the final form of my scout. Threw a 29 wheel up front with 140mm 36 and put stock link on running 140 in the rear.

O+
Posted: Jan 8, 2024 at 19:53 Quote
I'm excited. Got my got scout in July 2022. Put carbon rims on it for 2023 (we are one convergence triads).

This year I got myself a cascade link on the way, and I just dropped my fork and shock off for service. Gonna replace the IFP and rear damper with the 62.5mm version on my Super Deluxe, and putting a 170mm air shock in my lyrik. Its going to change it from a 140r/150f to be a 165r/170f on 27.5's. Rad.

Gotta wait a few weeks to get my suspension back from SRAM. Will need to rework the settings when I get it back. Expecting better bottom out resistance. I weigh 250lbs, and I was running 3 volume reducers and 300PSI. It was good, but I ride pretty aggressively and would still bottom out my travel every ride on standard black trails. Hoping to get some more bottoming resistance available for bigger days and a little extra travel can't hurt.

This build was my vision when I first got the bike. Finally got the money together to finish my vision and I couldn't be more excited to get this thing back together and ride.

O+
Posted: Jan 12, 2024 at 14:21 Quote
New lyric 170mm airspring cascade link and changed my super deluxe from 57.5 to 62.5 to make my scout a 170f165r ripper.
New lyric 170mm airspring, cascade link, and changed my super deluxe from 57.5 to 62.5 to make my scout a 170f165r ripper.
New lyric 170mm airspring cascade link and changed my super deluxe from 57.5 to 62.5 to make my scout a 170f165r ripper.
New lyric 170mm airspring, cascade link, and changed my super deluxe from 57.5 to 62.5 to make my scout a 170f165r ripper.

So was supposed to take weeks to get my suspension back from SRAM, turns out it was 2 days. Also turns out my old 57.5 IFP rear damper was damaged, so good thing I was swapping it out.

Its -20 degrees here right now...so I'm not riding.....but man am I ever stoked on my 170f/165r scout with 30% progression.

I can't think of a bike I'd rather have. I've built EXACTLY what I want. I'm stoked.

Posted: Feb 26, 2024 at 13:22 Quote
I'm looking to pick up either a Float X or a Super Deluxe air for my '21 scout from the classifieds. Price being equal is there a reason to pick one over the other? I don't have brand loyalty to either

Posted: May 9, 2024 at 22:58 Quote
biggest fork ever known on a scout? lol
I'm old an pretty much done with MTB due to industy bullshit so........
as WRONG as I know it is, I'm really considering dual crowning my Scout for an SS uplift rig, maybe chop the spring to 180/170mm an going mini mullet.

(for the nerds, YES I know this is ridiculous)

Posted: May 16, 2024 at 1:38 Quote
naptime wrote:
as WRONG as I know it is, I'm really considering dual crowning my Scout for an SS uplift rig, maybe chop the spring to 180/170mm an going mini mullet.

Do it! It'll be great fun until it snaps in half, which never happens...........

Posted: May 16, 2024 at 2:17 Quote
fielonator wrote:
naptime wrote:

Do it! It'll be great fun until it snaps in half, which never happens...........

my thoughts exactly, I mean they pretty much 130mm DH bikes anyway right lol lol lol
(mines 2018 )

Posted: May 16, 2024 at 2:48 Quote
naptime wrote:
fielonator wrote:
naptime wrote:

my thoughts exactly, I mean they pretty much 130mm DH bikes anyway right lol lol lol
(mines 2018 )

My 2017 alloy scout spent most of it's life with a -2 degree angleset and 150mm fork fitted. It's stripped down now waiting to be built up by it's new owner, no signs of failure. Great little bike.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012701
Mobile Version of Website