Powered by Outside

Kona Process 153 forum

PB Forum :: Kona
Kona Process 153 forum
Posted: Dec 30, 2023 at 12:46 Quote
hi folks iam just regreasing my chain/ seat stay bearings on my alu 2021 153process.

i just need clarification on the washer/spacer orientation. as i took them off they were different , the seat post end the larger flat side was against the bearing and the lower set by the axle had the flat side out with the small diameter raised bit against the bearing. are they meant to be different or is one end wrong???
hope this makes sense to someone.
thanks carl

Posted: Dec 30, 2023 at 17:10 Quote
Oh man, if a picture was ever worth a thousand words...

Posted: Jan 1, 2024 at 14:32 Quote
Carlmtb21 wrote:
hi folks iam just regreasing my chain/ seat stay bearings on my alu 2021 153process.

i just need clarification on the washer/spacer orientation. as i took them off they were different , the seat post end the larger flat side was against the bearing and the lower set by the axle had the flat side out with the small diameter raised bit against the bearing. are they meant to be different or is one end wrong???
hope this makes sense to someone.
thanks carl

The raised side goes toward the bearings, well, that's how they were on my 2018 and how I always reinstalled them

Posted: Jan 2, 2024 at 10:12 Quote
cool thanks for the replies. id say you are right about the raised side towards the bearing, i looked at a few parts diagrams and although hard to see they look as you described.
the quick regrease has grown and i have ended up taking most of the bearings out as they had a small bit of play in them.
i cant help thinking if you had the money one would just replace them all instead of regreasing them as there is a bit of work it taking it all apart.
i guess the job would be a lot quicker the second time around and with the proper extractor tools!
when i took the crank off the shaft was badly worn i guess due to a dodgy bottom bracket in the past( joys of buying second hand) anyone found this on a sram dub sx crank before?
anyway il probaly just shove it back on and replace the crankset and bb down the line when i have the money.
gotta say iam loving the bike, a massive step up from my 26" xc full sus,
thanks again for your help folks , iam sure il be back when it comes to putting the bike back together!! lol.

Posted: Jan 2, 2024 at 12:52 Quote
Regrease once a year and they should last a LONG time. Same goes for headset & hub bearings. I'm sure the crank is fine, a little polishing marks are OK. If there is play, then you have an issue.

Posted: Jan 2, 2024 at 13:29 Quote
Has anyone changed swingarm parts with other models or just to replace damaged ones ? Reason being, i would like to change my 2022 153 rocker link with a process x so i can run a mullet setup due to its dual position chip. Also, whats everyones weight at on these things, i havent bought a scale but the hands are saying 33-35lbs 22al153xl

Posted: Jan 7, 2024 at 20:35 Quote
Hi all,

I’ve had my process about 3 years now and wanting to do some maintenance on it (it’s been serviced by the shop previously). While inspecting the rear rotor off the wheel, I spun the inner hub with my finger and it feels “bumpy”, is this a sign the bearing need attention/replacing?

I’ve ordered a cassette removal tool, but am
I going to need a special bearing press and other things also? If so, any recommendations or links so I’m not overpaying for anything?

Bike- 2020 Kona Process 153cr
Hub: DT Swiss 370

Thanks! Smile

Posted: Jan 7, 2024 at 23:47 Quote
Notchy bearings happen, if there is no play then you can get by with cleaning and refreshing the grease. Pop the caps off and get after it! FYI if you do bearing maintenance often they last much longer. They come from the manufacturer woefully underfilled with grease which eventually allows water intrusion and rust.

Same goes for new bearings. Top off both sides. Some will migrate out with use but it just adds to the protection.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/204531699537?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=kif9xdctsi6&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=3SZP8irlTrm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Cheapest decent bearing press I've used

Posted: Jan 8, 2024 at 20:04 Quote
Thanks for the reply. I’ll invest in one of those kits I think.

If the bearings do need replacing, has anyone ever used the much cheaper (1/10th the price!) ones from online such as eBay or Ali Express? They cost $40 EACH where I am from a local store.

Posted: Jan 8, 2024 at 20:28 Quote
You will want to stick to name brands. The $1 bearings aren't that great. The seals don't seal and they will die quickly. But you'll find the bearing ID numbers on the rubber bearing seals. With a little shopping you can find good name brand bearings cheaper than a full kit. Just remember to top them off with a waterproof grease before install.

Posted: Jan 19, 2024 at 16:56 Quote
Me again,

So I missed out ordering a ring but tool so my plan to do the service this weekend hasn’t gone to plan.

The LBS don’t sell this tool and would need to order one in. The cost would be $155 which seems like a lot.

Looking online I see Ike’s for about $20 but aren’t sure if it will fit as can’t find any that specifically mention they will fit DT Swiss 370. They do say “3 pawl” but look like the right size and shape?

Example: Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! NZ$11.88 30% Off | DT Swiss 3 Pawl Bicycle Ratchet Remover Hub Lock Ring Nut DT370 Bike Hub Fixing Removal Installation Tool Parts
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtIX91E

Anyone who does their own service got any other suggestions of bits I may need? I have received the bearing removal tool suggested above, and already have a BB press fit tool.

Cheers

Posted: Jan 20, 2024 at 9:23 Quote
A cheap Chinese tool might be worth a shot, the Chinese internal parts for the hub itself do not last and are not worth trying.

Posted: Jan 26, 2024 at 10:20 Quote
For those wondering, I've just installed a 205 x 65 dpx2 on my 153 with zero clearance issues, rear travel is now 165mm and it flys

O+
Posted: Jan 26, 2024 at 11:01 Quote
sykothelord86 wrote:
For those wondering, I've just installed a 205 x 65 dpx2 on my 153 with zero clearance issues, rear travel is now 165mm and it flys

What generation?

Posted: Jan 26, 2024 at 14:50 Quote
EcivSinned wrote:
sykothelord86 wrote:

What generation?

It's a 2021

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011584
Mobile Version of Website