Powered by Outside

wheres the younger generation gone?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
wheres the younger generation gone?
Posted: Feb 25, 2012 at 17:28 Quote
yo13bo wrote:
Taane wrote:
and im sorta not being a dick im actually getting him to enter a upcoming race so there is more then the previous 2 people in the U15 catergrie like last time. isnt that what this thread is about?
so he doesnt want to race? big deal i wouldnt race if i rode downhill. theres some really over compeditive dicks in them i just dont want to be around.
i do really want to race though. just cant afford it at the moment, also the 1 run...i didnt use the shuttle.

Posted: Feb 25, 2012 at 17:33 Quote
its sucks without shuttles imo. still worth the 3 hour drive there though. just walk up the track and look at lines while your at it.

Posted: Feb 29, 2012 at 14:25 Quote
Full suspension bikes are getting more expensive to buy and maintain. As the bikes get fancier price goes up so the younger generation can't afford to get into DH/FR. DJ and SS are much cheaper so it's easier to get into.

Posted: Feb 29, 2012 at 14:29 Quote
but at the same time, manufacturers are coming out with more budget models (status, voltage etc) which are far better specced than what you could get for the same money 5 years ago when i got into biking, technology is filtering down a lot more rapidly these days, its just kids who want the 5 grand demo 8 with full X.0 DH, its just kids thinking that nothing but the best will do, even though one of the cheaper models would do the job just as well

Posted: Feb 29, 2012 at 14:41 Quote
thats the whole idea behind the status, a cheaper demo if you will, and it comes with good value parts at a great price, we may not know it but the big companys are really helping out with getting the sport going with the lower priced bikes because more people will start to race

Posted: Feb 29, 2012 at 14:47 Quote
thats exactly what i mean, kids are always complaining how expensive it is to ride DH, but a lot of the time they could if they didnt fixate on the best parts or newest gear, just run with what they can and lean to enjoy it

Posted: Feb 29, 2012 at 14:47 Quote
Its not like the status is even cheap though, it's just cheap compared to other DH bikes.

O+
Posted: Feb 29, 2012 at 14:48 Quote
JamesCarter93 wrote:
Full suspension bikes are getting more expensive to buy and maintain. As the bikes get fancier price goes up so the younger generation can't afford to get into DH/FR. DJ and SS are much cheaper so it's easier to get into.

While I agree this sport is not cheap, I have to disagree with your comment that bikes are getting more expensive to buy and maintain.

Bikes are lasting longer, working better and costing less than they ever have. My 2.5" travel chromo S-works FSR was $5500 if I remember correctly. It cost a small fortune to keep running. Brake pads lasted 2 rides, rims were disposable, bushings were sloppy, bearings were crap, parts broke like crazy and the performance of the brakes and suspension was garbage. That was long before DH, DJ and AM was the norm. If I rode that old bike like I ride my bike these days, it would have lasted 5 minutes. What can you get for $5500 these days (about $7500 adjusted for inflation)? Pretty sure it's not made of chromo and doesn't have cantilever brakes and 2.5" of crap travel that explodes when you do a 3 foot drop.

Getting into DH can be done on a hardtail too. I raced DH 2 seasons and shuttled the crap out of a hardtail about 6 years ago. That was after I'd owned an FSR, GT STS, Bullit, V10.1, V10.2 and a Superlight. I would find it very unfortunate if people out there were not riding DH and missing out because they think they have to have a DH bike.

Posted: Feb 29, 2012 at 15:09 Quote
or go down the second hand route. i started riding on a £500 kona hardtail, rode everything on it, started upgrading as and when i could, ended up buying my mates old rememdy, then swapped it for my current lapierre. you dont have to be spending thousands at once to get a decent bike, sometimes its better having a crappier bike to some degree, youll be more grateful when you do get the better stuff, and if you can ride something on a P.O.S. hardtail or summat, you should fly on a full suss.

Posted: Feb 29, 2012 at 15:15 Quote
inked-up-metalhead wrote:
or go down the second hand route. i started riding on a £500 kona hardtail, rode everything on it, started upgrading as and when i could, ended up buying my mates old rememdy, then swapped it for my current lapierre. you dont have to be spending thousands at once to get a decent bike, sometimes its better having a crappier bike to some degree, youll be more grateful when you do get the better stuff, and if you can ride something on a P.O.S. hardtail or summat, you should fly on a full suss.
I'm still riding a hardtail! Hahah I'm going up to my local shop this weekend to order my demo 3 I still have to save up like $2000 though so by early spring I should have it! Freakin' PUMPED!

Posted: Mar 3, 2012 at 16:16 Quote
A-Nay3186 wrote:
Its not like the status is even cheap though, it's just cheap compared to other DH bikes.
I think spesh missed the mark on the status. You can get a gently used 2011 Demo 81 for the same price and have a DOPE bike.
As for the whole thing with hard tails I have been running a hard tail for the past 2 years I have been riding. Broken just about everything but it gets me down. Ive even ridden Fontana on it, but now it is hard to ride since I broke my bike in 6 vertebras. The extra jarring hurts but I have no money for a full suspension:/

O+
Posted: Mar 3, 2012 at 16:19 Quote
Rippinp1 wrote:
A-Nay3186 wrote:
I think spesh missed the mark on the status. You can get a gently used 2011 Demo 81 for the same price and have a DOPE bike.
As for the whole thing with hard tails I have been running a hard tail for the past 2 years I have been riding. Broken just about everything but it gets me down. Ive even ridden Fontana on it, but now it is hard to ride since I broke my bike in 6 vertebras. The extra jarring hurts but I have no money for a full suspension:/
Specialized isn't trying to compete with used bikes dude. Sorry, but your argument doesn't really stand up to logic.

for the entry-level rider who wants to do freeride, light DH, and shuttle runs, the status is an amazing buy.

Posted: Mar 3, 2012 at 16:36 Quote
Rippinp1 wrote:
A-Nay3186 wrote:

and second hand bikes don't have warranty the status brand new does.

Posted: Mar 3, 2012 at 17:35 Quote
i would by far prefer a second hand demo then a updated version of the big shit.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010995
Mobile Version of Website