Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

Post your computer's Specs, and discuss improvements.

PB Forum :: Computers, Games & Technology
Post your computer's Specs, and discuss improvements.
Posted: Jan 7, 2011 at 10:45 Quote
Cata1yst wrote:
Charge262 wrote:
ShastaOutdoorMedia wrote:
Hey, didn't know that PB had tech threads! I'm running this for DCC mostly right now:

-Intel i7 960 (still at 3.2GHz, I'm a little afraid to OC it myself), idles at about 30C stock heatsink, 60C 100%
-12GB Triple-Channel DDR3 RAM (6x2GB) from OCZ
-Asus P6X58D Premium Mobo
-125GB Crucial M225 SSD
-2 1TB Hitachi 7.2k SATAII HDDs in RAID 0
-160GB Hitachi 7.2k SATAII HDD
-BD burner/DVD/CD
-DVD/CD burner
-All-in-one internal (5.25") media card reader (via internal USB 9-pin)
-1000W PSU
-Thermaltake Element G chassis

and a nVidia Quadro FX1800 which I'm selling if anyone's interested.

Dont OC with that heatsink. anyway, theres nothing to be afraid of, unless you change the voltage massivly nothing will break.

couple of the things: 1000w psu is a bit overkill, no? and why a Quadro? :p

Wattage dont mean shit. Quality of components, quality of build, ripple supression, and efficiency means the difference between a good psu and a bad one.

Ive "accidentally" moved the CPU_OV jumper on my p6t deluxe and ended up idling at 1.7vcore. idles under liquid were like 70c lol

this, also rails/ampage

Posted: Jan 7, 2011 at 16:47 Quote
Cata1yst wrote:
Charge262 wrote:
Hey, didn't know that PB had tech threads! I'm running this for DCC mostly right now:

-Intel i7 960 (still at 3.2GHz, I'm a little afraid to OC it myself), idles at about 30C stock heatsink, 60C 100%
-12GB Triple-Channel DDR3 RAM (6x2GB) from OCZ
-Asus Premium Mobo
-125GB Crucial M225 SSD
-2 1TB Hitachi 7.2k SATAII HDDs in RAID 0
-160GB Hitachi 7.2k SATAII HDD
-BD burner/DVD/CD
-DVD/CD burner
-All-in-one internal (5.25") media card reader (via internal USB 9-pin)
-1000W PSU
-Thermaltake Element G chassis

and a nVidia Quadro FX1800 which I'm selling if anyone's interested.

Dont OC with that heatsink. anyway, theres nothing to be afraid of, unless you change the voltage massivly nothing will break.

Wattage dont mean shit. Quality of components, quality of build, ripple supression, and efficiency means the difference between a good psu and a bad one.

Ive "accidentally" moved the CPU_OV jumper on my p6t deluxe and ended up idling at 1.7vcore. idles under liquid were like 70c lol

you sir, are stupid, we all see that you just want to seem smart and be the center of attention but you should at least read the post you are quoting. he said 1000w was overkill, and for a system that in a generous estimate might draw 500w it is. no one mentioned quality. if you think wattage doesnt mean shit try running a system that draws 1500 watts on a 400w power supply, obviously common sense would say thats stupid but you dont seem to posses a lot of common sense.

Posted: Jan 7, 2011 at 17:01 Quote
Muahahaha! *kicks in the shin*

Posted: Jan 9, 2011 at 12:08 Quote
Hey so I have a mild problem. When I'm running my comp and have opened up several programs and then closed out of them (AutoCAD, CS5, MSFSX, etc.) my RAM usage stays high. Upon startup it idles at 14% usage (out of 12GB) but then after opening and then closing some programs it will jump to and stay at about 45%. What's up? I noticed that there were a lot of "svchost.exe" processes going on in the RAM but I can't find out where to shut them off (they have something to do with server hosting?). Any tips?

Posted: Jan 9, 2011 at 12:31 Quote
A lot of svchosts can mean you have malware in your computer, I am not the best at dealing with malware, but if you download malwarebytes and run a full scan it finds basically everything.

Posted: Jan 9, 2011 at 12:53 Quote
svchost is just a process that hosts a service for windows, nothing to worry about really but you can always google it and run a scan of some kind as i've worked briefly with viruses before (RATS) and one being disguised as another process name is easily done

Posted: Jan 9, 2011 at 13:18 Quote
atmos-fair wrote:
svchost is just a process that hosts a service for windows, nothing to worry about really but you can always google it and run a scan of some kind as i've worked briefly with viruses before (RATS) and one being disguised as another process name is easily done

Yeah, well I have McAffe and it hasn't detected anything and it's always been pretty crazy with killing stuff that isn't even a virus (at least with the detection heuristic on VERY HIGH). But even if it's not malware then why the hell would my computer be using 5GB of RAM when no programs are running?

Posted: Jan 9, 2011 at 13:31 Quote
go to start, run, msconfig and take a look at startup services and programs then, windows itself takes a few GB to run

Posted: Jan 9, 2011 at 23:00 Quote
Hey so I have a mild problem. When I'm running my comp and have opened up several programs and then closed out of them (AutoCAD, CS5, MSFSX, etc.) my RAM usage stays high. Upon startup it idles at 14% usage (out of 12GB) but then after opening and then closing some programs it will jump to and stay at about 45%. What's up? I noticed that there were a lot of "svchost.exe" processes going on in the RAM but I can't find out where to shut them off (they have something to do with server hosting?). Any tips?

Don't worry about it, windows is designed to run like that. They call it "SuperFetch"
bigquotesVista has a prefetching mechanism of its own, called SuperFetch. It's far more aggressive than XP's prefetching. Where XP would arrange files on disk to ensure that they can be read quickly, Vista will go ahead and read files into memory preemptively. For example, if it sees that at 9:00 AM on a Monday morning you log in and start Outlook to check your mail, Vista can preload Outlook; it will read all the programs and libraries that Outlook needs so that they're resident in RAM. This means that when you click Outlook's icon to start it, most of the data the operating system needs is already available in memory, so you no longer have to wait so long for the program to load. The downside to this? Vista shows much higher RAM usage numbers than its predecessor.

(It says vista, but this applies to 7 too)

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/reviews/2007/06/vista-under-the-hood.ars/4

O+
Posted: Jan 12, 2011 at 13:27 Quote
maxwell666 wrote:
Cata1yst wrote:
Charge262 wrote:

you sir, are stupid, we all see that you just want to seem smart and be the center of attention but you should at least read the post you are quoting. he said 1000w was overkill, and for a system that in a generous estimate might draw 500w it is. no one mentioned quality. if you think wattage doesnt mean shit try running a system that draws 1500 watts on a 400w power supply, obviously common sense would say thats stupid but you dont seem to posses a lot of common sense.

Lol...

Just LOL. Id reiterate, but id have a more intelligent debate with a wall.

Posted: Jan 12, 2011 at 13:29 Quote
um, basically when i boot into windows my netbook screeches so loud that my stepmum ran out of bed and my brother thought there was a fire in the house and the smoke alarm was going off, wat do?

is this the end? Frown its not coming from the speakers and only happens in windows, not in linux

Posted: Jan 12, 2011 at 13:51 Quote
is linux on a bootable pen drive?

Posted: Jan 12, 2011 at 14:16 Quote
huh, that's odd, checked the fans?

Posted: Jan 12, 2011 at 14:18 Quote
checked as in...? and it sounds like, sort of digital but sort of a physical mechanical problem. i felt vibrations earlier on briefly in the air vent area of the body, and its sort of an inconsistent but pulsing alarm sound. Its an EeePC 1005P netbook (ASUS)

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 1.524457
Mobile Version of Website