Powered by Outside

2011 Marzocchi 888 RC3 Evo setup help

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
2011 Marzocchi 888 RC3 Evo setup help
Posted: Mar 25, 2013 at 16:00 Quote
airmiller44 wrote:
Look at this series

Image 529 in that rockgarden you can see how compressed the fork is on not so rough stuff. there is a series of like 4 photos of me going into it. Plate 284

Look at the other riders forks also none go as deep into compression and most of us took the same line if they knew where they were going.

http://lvactionimages.com/p763924869/h588323d8#h5884caa6

maybe try some more rebound? perhaps your fork is just eating through travel because it doesn't have enough rebound speed to reset?

O+
Posted: Mar 25, 2013 at 16:29 Quote
Stainer wrote:
airmiller44 wrote:
Look at this series

Image 529 in that rockgarden you can see how compressed the fork is on not so rough stuff. there is a series of like 4 photos of me going into it. Plate 284

Look at the other riders forks also none go as deep into compression and most of us took the same line if they knew where they were going.

http://lvactionimages.com/p763924869/h588323d8#h5884caa6

maybe try some more rebound? perhaps your fork is just eating through travel because it doesn't have enough rebound speed to reset?

Possibility for sure ill check that

Posted: Mar 30, 2013 at 21:52 Quote
kramster wrote:
You can mix oil weights. The result is an average of the two.
100ml may or may not be too much for you, but according to the Marz tech here, they put an extra 100 in my fork at Crankworx. I found it to be a bit much, but I'm 65kg. It was not hydro locking though. I let out about 50 so net I have an additional 50ml. It's pretty easy to put a little in and see how it goes and add or subtract when you've had a feel.

How many times do you cycle your damper upand down after changing/adding oil and before tightening the cap off? Any rebuild secrets?

O+
Posted: Jul 2, 2013 at 5:34 Quote
EuanBisset145 wrote:
airmiller44 wrote:
EuanBisset145 wrote:

I have heard of it being done. Do you find the fork goes through the travel too quick? another possibility is to raise the oil level on the damping side to make the fork more progressive.

Yeah i heard you could add like 50cc I think i should try that first thanks!

I get the point that you want to use all of your travel without bottoming out but im going through quite a lot of my travel in the medium stuff im talking like 6-7 inches of travel through rock gardens. Maybe it should be but it seems odd to me. im about 225 geared up on xheavy steel spring.

for the sake of arguement id like to see if anyone has any info on the part.

I had the same problem, I'm 160lbs and was on the x-firm spring too. In the end after some other stanchion coating problems I gave up and got other forks.

I'm having the same problems but maybe even more severe. My fork sometimes bottoms out …in berms! It bottoms out off small 5' drops too if I don't land just right. I have no idea what spring I have in there, but I'm about 185-190 with all my gear on.

Have you found any solution to this, other than buying a new fork?

O+
Posted: Jul 2, 2013 at 7:42 Quote
bernk wrote:
EuanBisset145 wrote:
airmiller44 wrote:

Yeah i heard you could add like 50cc I think i should try that first thanks!

I get the point that you want to use all of your travel without bottoming out but im going through quite a lot of my travel in the medium stuff im talking like 6-7 inches of travel through rock gardens. Maybe it should be but it seems odd to me. im about 225 geared up on xheavy steel spring.

for the sake of arguement id like to see if anyone has any info on the part.

I had the same problem, I'm 160lbs and was on the x-firm spring too. In the end after some other stanchion coating problems I gave up and got other forks.

I'm having the same problems but maybe even more severe. My fork sometimes bottoms out …in berms! It bottoms out off small 5' drops too if I don't land just right. I have no idea what spring I have in there, but I'm about 185-190 with all my gear on.

Have you found any solution to this, other than buying a new fork?

I bought an x-heavy spring, your rebound might be too slow also

Posted: Jul 2, 2013 at 12:14 Quote
I got it somewhat under control by running 225 ml in the spring side and adding an aircap. The X firm spring made the fork even worse than it already was and it also weighs in at 445 gr= around 1 lbs Eek

I gave up and got a fast suspension Boxxer WC which weighs 1 lbs less than the stock Evo ti and works flawlessly. I really tried, but I like riding more than spending countless hours in my shop trying to get a $ 1700 fork to work in a somewhat acceptable way...Really Mad

Posted: Jul 2, 2013 at 16:59 Quote
would changing the oil in the forks from 7.5 weight to 10 or 15 weight make the forks stiffer and would it effect the dampening of the forks in any way?

O+
Posted: Jul 3, 2013 at 2:47 Quote
airmiller44 wrote:

Is replacing the spring pretty involved or can it be done easily? Any special tools required?

Posted: Jul 3, 2013 at 2:49 Quote
bernk wrote:
airmiller44 wrote:

Is replacing the spring pretty involved or can it be done easily? Any special tools required?

It's pretty simple you just have to be careful with the small springs and little ball bearing when you replace the top ajustment nobs.

Posted: Jul 10, 2013 at 12:29 Quote
What is the weight if a steel spring. Have a steel in now and am wondering if it is a huge difference to the Ti. I know the Ti spring is 160ish grams.

Posted: Jul 10, 2013 at 13:07 Quote
japage wrote:
What is the weight if a steel spring. Have a steel in now and am wondering if it is a huge difference to the Ti. I know the Ti spring is 160ish grams.
I didn't notice the difference, but i suppose you might if you were really picky

Posted: Jul 10, 2013 at 13:12 Quote
Ollie-J wrote:
japage wrote:
I didn't notice the difference, but i suppose you might if you were really picky

Would just like to have an actual number if anyone knows. As just like the rear shock I felt quit a difference in weight but also performance.

Again weight of a steel spring would be?

O+
Posted: Jul 10, 2013 at 13:20 Quote
japage wrote:
Ollie-J wrote:
japage wrote:

Would just like to have an actual number if anyone knows. As just like the rear shock I felt quit a difference in weight but also performance.

Again weight of a steel spring would be?

i heard its a 200 gram savings

Posted: Jul 10, 2013 at 15:44 Quote
Hi, I am 205 lbs with 888 rc3 Evo v2, what spring rate do I need? And where can I buy them from (steel and ti)
Thanks

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 25, 2013 at 18:31 Quote
kramster wrote:
I have done a bit of messing with my fork now with the help form the Marz guys at crankworx and it's now at a point where I use full travel but can no longer manage to make it clunk. All without affecting small bump sensitivity. Perfect. This is what I always liked about old Marz forks.

I was told to be careful about using the volume adjust excessively to overcompensate for incorrect oil levels. I continued to turn the dial as I was bottoming and it got to a point where it was worse. They way I understand it now, is it's kind of like a rear shock where if you need more than a few turns on the spring you need to change springs, even though you can keep turning. If you need more than 5 or 6 turns on the volume adjuster, you need more oil.

First try the oil level in the spring side was upped by 150mL and it was too much. I have taken out about 70mL of it. (I weigh 150 lbs). If you're 180 Try adding 150mm of oil to start and see what happens. Use a couple of turns on the dial if it's not quite enough. If that doesn't do it, back off the volume adjuster again and add another 50ml.

So you put 150 mL into the spring side to make it more progressive?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.399853
Mobile Version of Website