Powered by Outside

Official Ghetto Parts Thread

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Official Ghetto Parts Thread
Posted: Feb 8, 2013 at 14:10 Quote
I used to have a specialized hard rock. At first, i took super good care of it. However, i made the move up to a Specialized Rockhopper, which became my primaey ride, demoting the hardrock to the huck/dont give a f*ck bike. I would look after the rockhopper like a pro mech, but the hardrock, not so much. Whenever the seat rails, rims, chainrings, or der bent, I would just hit them with a hammer/against something until they got better hahahaha. I ran tires on that thing not only until the tread disappeared, but until it wore all the way through and popped the tube. I would then use the same tube by putting a piece of an old tube between the pop and the backing of the tire with some super glue. I rode that thing with both axels broken for about 2 months. I would run brake pads (v-brakes) down until they were just metal and then some. I tried to run 1x7 by simply removing the front der. I tried to rebuild my fork by taking it apart, smothering that shit in park tool grease, and re-installing the lowers. That made it so plush that it would bottom out when you were just sitting on the saddle. I bent my handlebars and rode them like that for a few weeks until I got new ones. My left crank arm kept falling off because of a hopelessly misshapen and deformed BB spindle, but I would just stick it back on and tighten the 8mm as hard as I could. Had to do that once a week at first, and by the end of the bikes life I has to do it every 1/2 hour of riding. Thankfully I have a nice bike now and never do anything even relatively ghetto anymore Big Grin

Posted: Feb 9, 2013 at 5:51 Quote
tomcrowther wrote:
dingus wrote:
One on my friend's ghetto trail fix for a broken chain guide...

photo

Damn this is awesome haha, did it hold?

Good use of a Tesco clubcard lol

Posted: Feb 9, 2013 at 12:12 Quote
GoRideYoBike wrote:
I used to have a specialized hard rock. At first, i took super good care of it. However, i made the move up to a Specialized Rockhopper, which became my primaey ride, demoting the hardrock to the huck/dont give a f*ck bike. I would look after the rockhopper like a pro mech, but the hardrock, not so much. Whenever the seat rails, rims, chainrings, or der bent, I would just hit them with a hammer/against something until they got better hahahaha. I ran tires on that thing not only until the tread disappeared, but until it wore all the way through and popped the tube. I would then use the same tube by putting a piece of an old tube between the pop and the backing of the tire with some super glue. I rode that thing with both axels broken for about 2 months. I would run brake pads (v-brakes) down until they were just metal and then some. I tried to run 1x7 by simply removing the front der. I tried to rebuild my fork by taking it apart, smothering that shit in park tool grease, and re-installing the lowers. That made it so plush that it would bottom out when you were just sitting on the saddle. I bent my handlebars and rode them like that for a few weeks until I got new ones. My left crank arm kept falling off because of a hopelessly misshapen and deformed BB spindle, but I would just stick it back on and tighten the 8mm as hard as I could. Had to do that once a week at first, and by the end of the bikes life I has to do it every 1/2 hour of riding. Thankfully I have a nice bike now and never do anything even relatively ghetto anymore Big Grin
Spesh problems.

Posted: Feb 9, 2013 at 14:03 Quote
hwipwill wrote:
GoRideYoBike wrote:
Spesh problems.
what are you even talking about?

Posted: Feb 10, 2013 at 8:01 Quote
Snapped the backplate on my M810 saint rear mech, so I took the backplate from my spare SORA which was a bit long so I bent it to make it fit then drilled out the upper bolt hole to pass the bolt through the opposite way lol

Works a treat!

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg92/explosive-alfa/FAEB13E1-86EE-4384-8C35-D672FFFB9CBF-2296-0000034B053A85CB_zpsa4e59fba.jpg
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg92/explosive-alfa/6FA936F6-A082-4144-B318-6B6A50E948E0-2296-0000034AFE5426D5_zps1779ede5.jpg

Posted: Feb 10, 2013 at 8:26 Quote
Had to do something that didn't cost money on this miserable wet day right? lol

Posted: Feb 10, 2013 at 8:30 Quote
NineOneSix wrote:

Yeah dude, so bored i posted my bike on Rate my ride DH. This rain sucks.

Posted: Feb 10, 2013 at 8:31 Quote
fastboyslim wrote:
NineOneSix wrote:

Yeah dude, so bored i posted my bike on Rate my ride DH. This rain sucks.

Rain? That's stopped here. It's now snowing! lol typical British weather huh!

Posted: Feb 11, 2013 at 1:14 Quote
Rain, snow? Thats all done here for the new couple days....But of course, I'm sick now. LOL

fml

Posted: Feb 11, 2013 at 19:30 Quote
thebillygoat6000 wrote:
hwipwill wrote:
GoRideYoBike wrote:
Spesh problems.

If you read it its funny lol ima try that park tool lube with my 888's make that shit plush hahaha

Posted: Feb 11, 2013 at 19:41 Quote
I was referring to the comment "spesh probs"

Posted: Feb 11, 2013 at 20:10 Quote
MrDman wrote:
thebillygoat6000 wrote:
hwipwill wrote:
Spesh problems.

If you read it its funny lol ima try that park tool lube with my 888's make that shit plush hahaha

HEY. hey. 888s? That's shit. I had top of the line SR suntour XCM V3s on dat. Not like it matters anyway suspension forks just move in and outWink

Posted: Feb 12, 2013 at 2:56 Quote
I have XCT V4 on the XC bike... 100mm of travel but I only ever get about 70mm, got 100mm once or twice when I was on a downhill trail lol

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021122
Mobile Version of Website