Powered by Outside

YT Jeffsy 27 thread - small wheels only...

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
YT Jeffsy 27 thread - small wheels only...
Posted: Apr 17, 2017 at 1:46 Quote
I've got my Jeffsy Al One 27, but it's my first full–suspension bike, so I have a question about the rear shock.
In the middle of a stroke it's almost silent, but at the beginning there's a sound of air coming in and out. Is this normal?

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/469553/

Posted: Apr 17, 2017 at 6:32 Quote
Kovas wrote:
I've got my Jeffsy Al One 27, but it's my first full–suspension bike, so I have a question about the rear shock.
In the middle of a stroke it's almost silent, but at the beginning there's a sound of air coming in and out. Is this normal?

I have the same sound and after numerous shox I have had, I found it quite normal.

Posted: Apr 17, 2017 at 8:08 Quote
zapat wrote:
Kovas wrote:

I have the same sound and after numerous shox I have had, I found it quite normal.

This is the point where pressure in positive and negative air chamber is being equalized. I have the same behaviour in my deluxe, also found in bos void Wink no worries about that

Posted: Apr 17, 2017 at 8:21 Quote
Is the cf pro worth the extra £500 over the cf one.

Posted: Apr 18, 2017 at 4:19 Quote
MacieIKS wrote:
zapat wrote:
Kovas wrote:

This is the point where pressure in positive and negative air chamber is being equalized. I have the same behaviour in my deluxe, also found in bos void Wink no worries about that

Well, I just got an email from YT support and they asked to return the shock. Now I'm confused...

Posted: Apr 18, 2017 at 5:35 Quote
Does it lose air?

I said what I said, because eg. I had this shock before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2WabSbsxbQ

You can try the following though: set rebound to 0. Get a shockpump, attach it, and slowly release all air from the shock (through the pump). If it has no air, it needs to run smooth, without all audible sounds.
Then start to pump it up. You can now stop at like 50 psi, and slowly push the shock. At around 20% mark, if you move it very slowly, you can feel and hear the two chambers equalling out. As you move it back and forth at the 20% mark, it will hiss less and less, until it reaches the sound you filmed. The + and - chambers are equally pressured. You can repeat this at every 30 psi if you want to listen to it some more. Smile

Thing is that it's such a new shock, you can't really know how that sound needs to be. It can mean cavitation (air and oil getting mixed) but this also means air loss. You can send it back to be on the safe side, they will probably disassemble it, change seals, build it back, chances are high you'll get it back with the same sound . After one month of waiting. Smile
This is my personal opinion only, so it might be faulty regardless.

(While you are at it: could you measure your exact stroke when there is no air in the shock? (pushing it fully will move the red oring to the end. Under full air, the shock will be fully extended. This distance will be your exact stroke))

Kovas wrote:
MacieIKS wrote:
zapat wrote:

Well, I just got an email from YT support and they asked to return the shock. Now I'm confused...

Posted: Apr 18, 2017 at 6:23 Quote
For anyone that's bought one recently can i ask where you got the bottle cage from. I'm going through the checkout now and i cant find anywhere to add the bottle cage. Also, does it come with a shock pump? I cant find anywhere that says it would but I notice Canyon ship with a canyon branded shock pump, wondered if YT are doing the same.

Posted: Apr 18, 2017 at 6:27 Quote
Spangle123 wrote:
For anyone that's bought one recently can i ask where you got the bottle cage from. I'm going through the checkout now and i cant find anywhere to add the bottle cage. Also, does it come with a shock pump? I cant find anywhere that says it would but I notice Canyon ship with a canyon branded shock pump, wondered if YT are doing the same.

Hahh, they must have taken it down from the site. It was supposed to be, erm, not perfect?
No shockpump is coming either.

Posted: Apr 18, 2017 at 6:49 Quote
zapat wrote:

Hahh, they must have taken it down from the site. It was supposed to be, erm, not perfect?
No shockpump is coming either.

Yeah i finally got through (20 minutes on hold) to YT and they said the bottle cages have sold out. Won't be getting stock till around 8 weeks. They don't normally sell on their own but will offer to existing bike customers as a bolt on.

CF one ordered though! Very excited for it to arrive!

Posted: Apr 18, 2017 at 8:42 Quote
zapat wrote:
Does it lose air?

I said what I said, because eg. I had this shock before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2WabSbsxbQ

You can try the following though: set rebound to 0. Get a shockpump, attach it, and slowly release all air from the shock (through the pump). If it has no air, it needs to run smooth, without all audible sounds.
Then start to pump it up. You can now stop at like 50 psi, and slowly push the shock. At around 20% mark, if you move it very slowly, you can feel and hear the two chambers equalling out. As you move it back and forth at the 20% mark, it will hiss less and less, until it reaches the sound you filmed. The + and - chambers are equally pressured. You can repeat this at every 30 psi if you want to listen to it some more. Smile

Thing is that it's such a new shock, you can't really know how that sound needs to be. It can mean cavitation (air and oil getting mixed) but this also means air loss. You can send it back to be on the safe side, they will probably disassemble it, change seals, build it back, chances are high you'll get it back with the same sound . After one month of waiting. Smile
This is my personal opinion only, so it might be faulty regardless.

(While you are at it: could you measure your exact stroke when there is no air in the shock? (pushing it fully will move the red oring to the end. Under full air, the shock will be fully extended. This distance will be your exact stroke))

Kovas wrote:
MacieIKS wrote:

I tried that already and there's no noise when shock is empty. I haven't ridden the bike yet, so I'm not sure if it losses air or not. That's why I don't want to send it right now.

Here it's stroke:
RockShox Deluxe stroke length

Posted: Apr 18, 2017 at 9:06 Quote
Squeeky seat?

My seat is squeeky like old woman after couple of ridings. I hope this is not normal... what can be done?

Posted: Apr 18, 2017 at 9:11 Quote
Kovas: Thanks for measuring. Not quite 60 for you either.

DomaSXS: The YT seat collar is a piece of junk. Check that first. I turned it around, so the screw is on front, and holy silence!
If you have the e13 dropper, the head can get loose too causing noise. Take the saddle off and use a 10hex and softjaws. It needs to be tightened properly (20Nm) otherwise it will get loose every 10 kms.

Posted: Apr 18, 2017 at 9:27 Quote
zapat wrote:
Kovas: Thanks for measuring. Not quite 60 for you either.

DomaSXS: The YT seat collar is a piece of junk. Check that first. I turned it around, so the screw is on front, and holy silence!
If you have the e13 dropper, the head can get loose too causing noise. Take the saddle off and use a 10hex and softjaws. It needs to be tightened properly (20Nm) otherwise it will get loose every 10 kms.

I have e13 dropper. Ok have to check those before next ride and get some tool for right Nm. Really annoying but thanks mate!

Posted: Apr 18, 2017 at 13:55 Quote
Kovas wrote:
MacieIKS wrote:
zapat wrote:

Just to end this, got an answer from RockShox:
RockShox wrote:
This sound is likely the countermeasure spring sliding on the spring shaft. This is normal.

So I won't be sending it back.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.052570
Mobile Version of Website