Powered by Outside

2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts
Posted: Jul 20, 2020 at 16:58 Quote
Same creaking and clicking under power for me too. As others have said, main pivot above the BB is the culprit. I pulled this and all the other lower pivots (download the schematic of you don't have it already), cleaned everything, greased, loctite and torqued to spec, fixed, no creaks or clicks :-)

If it comes back I'll try just pulling the main pivot and see if that's enough.

Posted: Jul 21, 2020 at 6:15 Quote
moity wrote:
Same creaking and clicking under power for me too. As others have said, main pivot above the BB is the culprit. I pulled this and all the other lower pivots (download the schematic of you don't have it already), cleaned everything, greased, loctite and torqued to spec, fixed, no creaks or clicks :-)

Do you (or anyone else) know if you can pull the main pivot pin by itself?

The manual says that the main pivot expander pin is torqued first and then the rest of the rear linkages in a certain order. But if all of those stay assembled, can you just pull the pivot pin on its own and not upset anything?

Posted: Jul 21, 2020 at 11:22 Quote
moity wrote:

Do you know where I can get a 2020 owners manual or schematic? Can't seem to find a 2020 online.
Thanks

Posted: Jul 21, 2020 at 11:51 Quote
I just removed the main pivot in front of the bb. Cleaned it and greased it up. Creaking seams to be gone.
I also would'nt mind the info / link to the manual to get the igsact torques.

I removed the drive side first and it all popped out. I had to stick an allen key in the non drive side while putting the main bolt back in ( the 8mm allen key one ). If im being honest I didnt have a torque wrench while doing all this. I done it by feel. I am going to leave it into Specialized though for the once over.
Ray

Posted: Jul 21, 2020 at 12:23 Quote
KeithB13 wrote:
moity wrote:

Do you know where I can get a 2020 owners manual or schematic? Can't seem to find a 2020 online.
Thanks

2020 Enduro Owners Manual - https://media.specialized.com/support/collateral/0000139644.pdf
2020 Enduro FSR Schematic - https://media.specialized.com/support/collateral/0000140189.pdf

If you go the Enduro on Specialized's website it's under manual downloads about halfway down the page. It's a drop down menu on the left of "Technical Specifications."

Posted: Jul 21, 2020 at 14:37 Quote
a-prince wrote:
KeithB13 wrote:
moity wrote:

Thanks

2020 Enduro Owners Manual - https://media.specialized.com/support/collateral/0000139644.pdf
2020 Enduro FSR Schematic - https://media.specialized.com/support/collateral/0000140189.pdf

If you go the Enduro on Specialized's website it's under manual downloads about halfway down the page. It's a drop down menu on the left of "Technical Specifications."

Great, thanks a bunch!

Posted: Jul 24, 2020 at 12:31 Quote
photo
My Enduro out in the wild. This baby be fast. I love her. Taken her on some 40 miles / 6000' vert rides in the low geo setting and she fared alright.

Posted: Jul 27, 2020 at 2:03 Quote
Hi,

I’ve owned my 2020 Enduro Expert for a few weeks now and absolutely love it! But it’s developed a creak under hard pedalling. Anyone else noticed this or any suggestions on how to solve it?

Also, how tight are you supposed to run the SWAT headset? It sometimes feels slightly loose but don’t want to over tighten it!

Thanks in advance!

Posted: Jul 27, 2020 at 2:22 Quote
dan-clayton wrote:
Hi,

I’ve owned my 2020 Enduro Expert for a few weeks now and absolutely love it! But it’s developed a creak under hard pedalling. Anyone else noticed this or any suggestions on how to solve it?

Also, how tight are you supposed to run the SWAT headset? It sometimes feels slightly loose but don’t want to over tighten it!

Thanks in advance!

Hey Dan.

I got good advice on here. A few guys said its the main pivot in front of the bottom bracket. Read through the comments on this page, especially the last few pages.
I took a stab at it myself. I released the small allen bolt, 4mm drive side. Its attached to a black plastic cone shape protective cover. On this 4mm bolt there is a circlip behind the plastic cone shape cover. This helps to pop this off. Be careful !!!! I managed to undo the circlip and thought id wrecked it. I did manage to pop the plastic cone out. Careful again !!!!! It comes out like a bullet and i nearly lost mine.

This reveals the inner main 8mm pivot bolt. I put a 4mm allen in the non drive side and removed the 8mm main pivot. Cleaned it and greased it up a little.

Read up the comments here and one guy tell you were to find the torque schematics on the main Spesh Enduro page.

I do not know which side you torque first when putting all this back though. I done non drive side then drive side. My creak is gone now aswell. But in saying that, I am taking my bike to Specialized Ireland for a check up. I love working at my own bike but i just want to be safe / sure that iv done it correct.

This enduro is honestly the best bike I have ever owned !!! Hope this helps.
Ray

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 27, 2020 at 7:46 Quote
I pulled my main pivot as well to try to find the source of an annoying clicking/creak. I pulled out the small 4mm bolt as Ramy described above, but I did not pull apart the little clip that holds the wedge together because mine was totally clean. Once the 4mm bolt side is removed I loosened the main pivot from the other side. I actually had to thread the 4mm side back in again a bit and used it to help push the main pivot bolt out. Cleaned and greased all and it all went back together without much trouble. You just need to lift up on the bike to get all the holes to align to get the bolt back in.

Now in the manual it says to tighten the main bolt first , then install the 4mm side. I had to install the 4mm side before the main bolt would tighten. The large pivot bolt just seemed to spin until I put the 4mm side in just finger tight , then it torqued right up OK , then I tourqed the 4mm side .

Turned out the clicking noise was just the headset, so to answer Dan-Clayton.. I ended up tightening it more than I would have thought...mind, I was using the small SWAT tool to do it, so there's not much leverage there. Took the noise away so I was happy

This bike is like the body of a guitar...any little noise is amplified and its hard to determine where the heck the noise is coming from! Probably best to get in a routine of cleaning and lubricating..I wish Specialized would come out with some videos on how to pull apart and grease all the pivots properly. A bearing change video would be nice too as I'm sure we will all be struggling with that task by the end of the season

O+
Posted: Jul 28, 2020 at 21:43 Quote
resinrider wrote:
I pulled my main pivot as well to try to find the source of an annoying clicking/creak. I pulled out the small 4mm bolt as Ramy described above, but I did not pull apart the little clip that holds the wedge together because mine was totally clean. Once the 4mm bolt side is removed I loosened the main pivot from the other side. I actually had to thread the 4mm side back in again a bit and used it to help push the main pivot bolt out. Cleaned and greased all and it all went back together without much trouble. You just need to lift up on the bike to get all the holes to align to get the bolt back in.

Now in the manual it says to tighten the main bolt first , then install the 4mm side. I had to install the 4mm side before the main bolt would tighten. The large pivot bolt just seemed to spin until I put the 4mm side in just finger tight , then it torqued right up OK , then I tourqed the 4mm side .

Turned out the clicking noise was just the headset, so to answer Dan-Clayton.. I ended up tightening it more than I would have thought...mind, I was using the small SWAT tool to do it, so there's not much leverage there. Took the noise away so I was happy

This bike is like the body of a guitar...any little noise is amplified and its hard to determine where the heck the noise is coming from! Probably best to get in a routine of cleaning and lubricating..I wish Specialized would come out with some videos on how to pull apart and grease all the pivots properly. A bearing change video would be nice too as I'm sure we will all be struggling with that task by the end of the season

To tighten the main pivot axle from the non-drive side, you could stick a 8mm allen from the drive side to hold the axle in place. There's a 8mm cutout inside the axle specifically to do this.

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2020 at 1:12 Quote
resinrider wrote:

Pulled and regreased all the pivots only to find that my creak when pedaling was actually just a loose derailleur bolt.

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2020 at 13:07 Quote
calvinstoney wrote:
Just wanted to post some quick thoughts on the new S-Works Enduro I just built up. I was super excited for this build and didn't really spare anything on it for performance. I have the 2020 Fox Float 170 44mm offset fork, and Industry Nine wheels with Cushcore installed. Hope breaks and Deity cockpit, with SRAM drivetrain coming in at about 33lbs.

I did a ton of research on suspension setup and have been playing around with the bike a lot on my local trails here in southern MD. Not a very aggressive trail just a loop around a lake with some roots and short punchy climbs and downhills. I"m not a pro level rider, but I have a lot of years of riding DH and Freeride terrain. I've gotten far from the suggested settings and currently still hunting for a sweet spot where it feels like it's eating everything like a 170mm bike should. Every review I've read about this bike says that it climbs okay but really shines in the rough stuff, like a mini downhill bike, but I can assure you with the current suspension settings I've tried it won't hold a candle to my YT Tues in rough terrain.

The bike is large and it feels that way. It is very hard for me to manual which equates to less hoping over things on the trail while riding. The rear feels the same to me on rough downhill sections as the previous Enduro "X" wing design. I'm not getting the aww inspiring rear wheel moving rearward getting out of the way and not hanging up feeling that everyone is claiming to be the super benefit of this bike.

The bike seems to actually slow down coming down some of my super fun sections that have some moderate rough hits but not a ton of gravity. It does seem to do well on the super rough sections with many consecutive hits, but still doesn't "feel" faster than my stumpy through those same places.

More to follow when I get a big mountain trip in and some proper rock sections with jumps, but currently I would not recommend to anyone trading in any older Enduro or Stumpjumper for this bike. I think it's an equivalent bike, but it does not seem like an upgrade over those models to me.

Read the first post in this thread and had to comment. My experience has been totally different. Coming of a Capra 27.5 and the new Enduro climbs better, descends faster, more nimble, jumps better...I haven't found anywhere I'm let down. I will be upgrading the RS rear to an X2 fox but the suspension kinematics are awesome - pedals great (not sloopy like the old Enduro), poppy on jumps, pretty good on chunder and absorbs big hits/landings very well. Bike is sick, believe the hype!

FL
Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 0:40 Quote
Woodro wrote:
calvinstoney wrote:
Just wanted to post some quick thoughts on the new S-Works Enduro I just built up. I was super excited for this build and didn't really spare anything on it for performance. I have the 2020 Fox Float 170 44mm offset fork, and Industry Nine wheels with Cushcore installed. Hope breaks and Deity cockpit, with SRAM drivetrain coming in at about 33lbs.

I did a ton of research on suspension setup and have been playing around with the bike a lot on my local trails here in southern MD. Not a very aggressive trail just a loop around a lake with some roots and short punchy climbs and downhills. I"m not a pro level rider, but I have a lot of years of riding DH and Freeride terrain. I've gotten far from the suggested settings and currently still hunting for a sweet spot where it feels like it's eating everything like a 170mm bike should. Every review I've read about this bike says that it climbs okay but really shines in the rough stuff, like a mini downhill bike, but I can assure you with the current suspension settings I've tried it won't hold a candle to my YT Tues in rough terrain.

The bike is large and it feels that way. It is very hard for me to manual which equates to less hoping over things on the trail while riding. The rear feels the same to me on rough downhill sections as the previous Enduro "X" wing design. I'm not getting the aww inspiring rear wheel moving rearward getting out of the way and not hanging up feeling that everyone is claiming to be the super benefit of this bike.

The bike seems to actually slow down coming down some of my super fun sections that have some moderate rough hits but not a ton of gravity. It does seem to do well on the super rough sections with many consecutive hits, but still doesn't "feel" faster than my stumpy through those same places.

More to follow when I get a big mountain trip in and some proper rock sections with jumps, but currently I would not recommend to anyone trading in any older Enduro or Stumpjumper for this bike. I think it's an equivalent bike, but it does not seem like an upgrade over those models to me.

Read the first post in this thread and had to comment. My experience has been totally different. Coming of a Capra 27.5 and the new Enduro climbs better, descends faster, more nimble, jumps better...I haven't found anywhere I'm let down. I will be upgrading the RS rear to an X2 fox but the suspension kinematics are awesome - pedals great (not sloopy like the old Enduro), poppy on jumps, pretty good on chunder and absorbs big hits/landings very well. Bike is sick, believe the hype!
I agree with woodro. I came from a 27.5 xwing. This one definitely climbs better. And feels a lot more planted Especially through the rough stuff even more so with the coil DHX2 upgrade. Not as poppy. A better bike overall

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 5:33 Quote
Hi.
I bought new Enduro few days ago and now I need a new roof rack to carry it around on my car. For SJ I used THULE 591 but its too small for big Enduro.
Any advice what to buy.
TNX.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.036469
Mobile Version of Website