Official Cut off your finger with Disc Brakes Thread.

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Official Cut off your finger with Disc Brakes Thread.
O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 13:05 Quote
Reviving old thread here but I think I might be the new winner of this thread!

Was riding my new gravel bike and thought my thru axle was coming loose. Reached down to check the lever to see if it was loose while I was rolling fairly slow and some extra fabric from my glove got caught in the disc and sucked my finger in. I do this occasionally on my MTB with no issue but on my gravel bike the disc is alot closer to the TA lever.

Lost almost half of my left middle finger, the bone for the tip and half of the middle bone were not with me when I got to the hospital.

Anyway it's healing up well and while it will be an inch shorter I will survive and keep doing everything I enjoy doing. Taking it as a sign to slow down and be a bit more conscious about things/life.

Play stupid games when stupid prizes!

Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 19:03 Quote
Cgtyson wrote:

Was riding my new gravel bike and thought my thru axle was coming loose. Reached down to check the lever to see if it was loose while I was rolling fairly slow and some extra fabric from my glove got caught in the disc and sucked my finger in. I do this occasionally on my MTB with no issue but on my gravel bike the disc is alot closer to the TA lever.

Lost almost half of my left middle finger, the bone for the tip and half of the middle bone were not with me when I got to the hospital.

Anyway it's healing up well and while it will be an inch shorter I will survive and keep doing everything I enjoy doing. Taking it as a sign to slow down and be a bit more conscious about things/life.

One finger braking at it's best...lol
Good to hear you're ok though!

Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 19:20 Quote
Cgtyson wrote:

Can always be worse. Who needs the tip of there middle finger anyway..lol.

Posted: Apr 22, 2020 at 4:11 Quote
Blimey! are home mechanics really that bad ?

Posted: May 30, 2020 at 15:23 Quote
Got my finger jammed today while replacing my breaks.
Replaced the leavers and calipers.
Then fitted the rotors, there was a little rubbing of the pads on the rotor so I began to play with the alignment. Rear side went without a hitch.
Now here is the point where it all went wrong..
I was getting myself all in a bit of pickle trying to get the front pads to stop rubbing .
And I guess this is where I lost concentration, while the wheel was rotating I managed to get my finger jammed (as my hand was down near the calliper)
Unfortunately it caused a fair bit of damage to my finger. I was in A&E for half the day, they have removed the nail to expose the damage. And I also had an emergency X-ray.
There’s a fair bit of damage to the flesh, so I’ve got to go back in on Monday for surgery on my finger.

On a plus note, the breaks are fitted and when I got back from the hospital I finished the job I started, which could of been prevented as it was the piston which caused the issue and made the job more difficult. All I needed to do was push it back in fully. If I had done this in the first place then none of the above would of happened.

Posted: Jun 27, 2020 at 17:32 Quote
This was a while ago, probably 2012 when I was 5 or something and my dad was working on his bike and I spun the wheel and stupidly stuck my finger in the rotor and there was blood.

O+
Posted: Jun 27, 2020 at 19:16 Quote
Every time this thread pops up with new posts I cringe but can't help but see if someone maimed themselves.

Posted: Jul 18, 2020 at 13:39 Quote
There are websites that cater to such curiosity : )

Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 18:27 Quote
This is my new favorite thread. Kinda weird one, but it seems like a good time.

Posted: Feb 12, 2021 at 20:02 Quote
Pretty stoked to find some fellow idiots in here. 2 days ago was adjusting the caliper on my jeffsy before a ride and before I knew it the tip of my finger was dangling. 7 stitches, no nail, and 5 weeks of finger splint later i should be back on the bike
adjusting caliper and finger ended up in the rotor

Posted: Feb 12, 2021 at 20:25 Quote
I did it about 15 years ago. Didn't cut it off, lucky I had that bone there. But it sliced all around, tendon too. Not an awesome experience.

At first I thought it was kinda ok, then i washed it off in the sink and inspected, I got low pretty quick.

But I haven't done it since, lesson learned.

Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 15:48 Quote
I don't have a picture but this did happen to me while aligning my caliper. It was not fun.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 19:49 Quote
Hi internet.
Its my turn to share my stupidity.

photo

Posted: Apr 28, 2021 at 3:17 Quote
Ouch!

I was really lucky. Also tried to mess with the alignment of the caliper manually, as I only had a light drag and did not want to repeat the "auto alignment" method forever. So I fumbled around and my left index finger found its way into the rotor. Fortunately the wheel was not spinning fast, and it only hit the tip of the finger. I have a thick skin from playing guitar, and exactly this part was chopped away with only little blood spill involved. Once the blood stopped I superglued the skin back to the finger and it looks like new Smile ...however it still hurts of course. Plus the rotor drag is gone!

Take care guys! Nurse

Posted: Aug 2, 2022 at 15:01 Quote
OahuMTB wrote:
Sorry to bring up a dead post, but today i cut off the tip of my finger. Right through the nail. Not the rotor though. This was done by a spoke!

To this very day my nail grows to the left because of how it was sewed on and healed.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.033967
Mobile Version of Website