Powered by Outside

Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...
Posted: May 5, 2009 at 1:19 Quote
Have you read the first post in this thread yet? - I created this thread for sole purpose of explaining what 'all them dials do', try reading that and it may answer most, if not all your questions!

Posted: May 5, 2009 at 8:04 Quote
nlitworld wrote:
Ok so I've seen some posts on Fox 40 tips, so I'll just chime in with what my settings are and how they've worked for me. I do mostly DH, so I need it to be smooth through a majority of the travel but not bottom harshly. I weigh about 190lbs, so please remember that when trying these settings. Since I'm a little on the heavy side for the stock Ti springs, I have 5 clicks of preload on the springs. I only run 5 clicks because I like a nice supple ride over small chatter bumps. On Low speed compression I have it 2 clicks from full and high speed is 4 clicks from full. This allows the fork to resist diving while braking and g-out corners but still move smoothly through the travel, and allows it to still soak up small bumps but resists blowing through the travel. I have my rebound set to be pretty quick to fully extend, so as to not pack up in the small chatter bumps, but still slow enough to be stable on big hits. On fast rougher courses I would tend to back down the high speed to 6 clicks from open and kick up the low speed to full on so as to make the bike smoother in the rough but not dive in the big braking bumps. On smoother/more pedal intensive courses I would move high speed up to 2 clicks from full on and the low speed leave at 2 from full. This is what has worked well for me on the trails I tend to ride. Hope this helps with some basic setup.

Yes! this is exactly what i was looking for! this is goin to help me out a ton!!! Thanks man!!! if anyone else wants to share there settings please do!

this post above was more on his exact settings he uses... so i have some sorta starting point!

Posted: May 6, 2009 at 6:09 Quote
ctd07 wrote:
rstwosix wrote:
I think another aspect that comes into the equation is tyres. Small volume tyres run at high pressure aren't going to have much cushion and will make the suspension work harder, and high volume tyres run at low pressure will add a lot more cushion to the bike and suspension. I'm running a 2.5 front at 22psi and a 2.35 rear at 30psi.
What do you think?
That's it for now - thanks again for a great thread.
Yeh, tyres can play a significant role in improving your bikes traction over finite small bumps - larger/softer tyres will give a lot more rolling resistance thoughConfused
I wasn't talking about traction at this point - more about how tyres play a part in your suspension setup. Mark Fitzimmons from Fox Racing says: " Tires work in sync with the suspension more than you realize. Often times chatter that transmits through the bike into the rider is due to tires. Pressure, compound etc." Steve Delacruz from Garage Works suspensions says: "Soft tyres require less small bump compliance from the suspension. Hard tyres will transmit every bump to the shock and fork. Establish a tire pressure you like and work on your suspension settings from there."

FL
Posted: May 9, 2009 at 3:55 Quote
ive got a 2009 triad shock, it apperas to be leaking, there is a number of very small scratches on the slidey bit that goes up into the shock. Im sorry i dont know what its called, any body know how much a new 'slidey' bit is?

Posted: May 9, 2009 at 4:30 Quote
You are talking about the shaft of the shock. Send it in to your local shock service centre (Mojo or TF Tuned) and they'll tell you what needs to be done and how much it costs.

Posted: May 11, 2009 at 15:36 Quote
Im having a problem with my fork and i hope you dont mind me asking in this thread

my fork is acting up again, my problem is when i lift up the front end and then slam it down before my fork moves there is a loud creak, this also happends when you land a drop/bunny hop or are going over anything rutted, im amost certain it is my fork making this noise and it isnt coming from the headset kind of area, was wondering if anyone had any kind of explanation for this?? anything i can do to stop it doing it

thanks in advance

Posted: May 16, 2009 at 9:53 Quote
Just a quick wee question regarding my float's rc2 setup, I want the fork to be set up as responsive to small bumps as possible using the high and low speed compression settings and after a bit of fiddling I can't tell if i'm actually changing anything....

Does turning it to the plus side of the adjustment stiffen the responsiveness or does it mean you blow though more travel?

All i want is the small bumps as responsive as I have ligament problems in my left arm so suffer from arm pump in my left arm really easily, like red trails at tress and its becoming annoying because I want to go faster but I can't because my hand seizes up and I will lose control if going too fast.

Cheers

Scott

Posted: May 16, 2009 at 10:41 Quote
mac-on-the-mob wrote:
Just a quick wee question regarding my float's rc2 setup, I want the fork to be set up as responsive to small bumps as possible using the high and low speed compression settings and after a bit of fiddling I can't tell if i'm actually changing anything....

Does turning it to the plus side of the adjustment stiffen the responsiveness or does it mean you blow though more travel?

All i want is the small bumps as responsive as I have ligament problems in my left arm so suffer from arm pump in my left arm really easily, like red trails at tress and its becoming annoying because I want to go faster but I can't because my hand seizes up and I will lose control if going too fast.

Cheers

Scott
+ increases the damping (generally turning the dial clockwise = +), this will reduce suppleness.

I have hand issues caused by bumps too, try reducing your tyre pressure and using some fatter grips - these will help too!

Posted: May 17, 2009 at 12:12 Quote
- - - comment removed

Posted: May 17, 2009 at 12:29 Quote
I have a question about sag. I'm an extreme freerider and I usually hit 20+ ft drops on a daily basis on my trails. I have not been able to run any more than 5 percent sag and have my forks stiff enough to keep from bottoming out. Also, messing with compression changes my sag ALOT.
Any tips for set up will be great!

Posted: May 17, 2009 at 12:58 Quote
my m6 bottoms out hard on drops 3-4ft+ the spring in it is 350lb i weigh 190lb fully kitted up and my sag is about 35-40% compresion damping low and high is 2 clicks from max it feels lovley and plush but bottomings not good i know i need a heavier spring but not sure weather to go for 400lb or450lb???
also the bottom out resistance knob has 4 settings iv tried them all but they seem to make NO diference at all

oh i should probably say its a manitou revox any advice please

Posted: May 17, 2009 at 13:01 Quote
freeride-idiot wrote:
my m6 bottoms out hard on drops 3-4ft+ the spring in it is 350lb i weigh 190lb fully kitted up and my sag is about 35-40% compresion damping low and high is 2 clicks from max it feels lovley and plush but bottomings not good i know i need a heavier spring but not sure weather to go for 400lb or450lb???
also the bottom out resistance knob has 4 settings iv tried them all but they seem to make NO diference at all

I upgraded from a 5 to 650 lb shock on my other freeride bike. HELPED TONS. Feels a little more like its topping out now, but I'd say get the 450.

Posted: May 17, 2009 at 13:06 Quote
yea thinking i will and then running my compresion damping high/low virtualy off so it still feels smooth on chattery stuf wat da ya think
suicidedownhiller wrote:
freeride-idiot wrote:

I upgraded from a 5 to 650 lb shock on my other freeride bike. HELPED TONS. Feels a little more like its topping out now, but I'd say get the 450.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.048172
Mobile Version of Website