Powered by Outside

Info on living in Whistler

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Info on living in Whistler
Mod
Posted: Aug 15, 2010 at 9:20 Quote
Lots of bikes go missing every season at every resort, big and small. Whistler has had its fair share of stolen bikes from amateurs' to pros' bikes disappearing even bikes from "locked" bike storage rooms in hotels. Best thing to do is to keep your bike in your room.

O+
Posted: Aug 15, 2010 at 22:27 Quote
Just lock your bike up and dont leave it outside overnight.

O+
Posted: Aug 16, 2010 at 11:27 Quote
ali-chapple wrote:
bRaDzAsS wrote:
I'm moving there in October for the winter season then staying for summer 2011.

Can anyone tell me if bike theft is a big problem there?

Brad.

I quite happily left my bike in town whilst i went for a wonder. never had any problems and i havent heard of any either

if you're halfway smart about it, it's not much of a problem. i leave mine on the patio all the time while nosing around GBB. if you lock it up outside every night for the summer, it's going to get stolen, but theft's not too bad here.

Posted: Aug 19, 2010 at 0:37 Quote
Thanks, I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

Also, I arrive on the 21st of September and will be looking to move into a place pretty quickly, there seems to be plenty of places on Piquenewsmagazine etc, I'm hoping there is still a lot available when I arrive.

I assume everything gets snapped up pretty quickly as winter gets closer.

Any help would be tops.

FL
Posted: Aug 19, 2010 at 1:14 Quote
bRaDzAsS wrote:

Also, I arrive on the 21st of September and will be looking to move into a place pretty quickly, there seems to be plenty of places on Piquenewsmagazine etc, I'm hoping there is still a lot available when I arrive.

Any help would be tops.

if your hoping to move in with someone then pique is a good start yep.

if your wanting to find a place for you and some mates then check alluradirect.com, basically every apartment in whistler is on it but they are all empty, no rooms going spare or that sort of thing

O+
Posted: Aug 19, 2010 at 14:09 Quote
ali-chapple wrote:
bRaDzAsS wrote:

Any help would be tops.

if your wanting to find a place for you and some mates then check alluradirect.com, basically every apartment in whistler is on it but they are all empty, no rooms going spare or that sort of thing

craigslist also usually has some stuff on it too

Posted: Aug 21, 2010 at 15:49 Quote
ali-chapple wrote:
bRaDzAsS wrote:

Any help would be tops.

Thanks, just my misses and I are going, so I just want a 1 or 2 bedroom place to ourselves.

Posted: Sep 8, 2010 at 19:17 Quote
Hi all, only two weeks till I get to Whistler, a friend there told me bikes and parts etc are all going cheap at the end of summer.

Would it be a wise move to buy a bike at the end of this season, store it all winter and use it for 2011? Or just buy a new one at the beginning of next season?

Cheers.

O+
Posted: Sep 10, 2010 at 22:23 Quote
You don't want to buy a whistler rental bike. they get shit kicked.

FL
Posted: Sep 14, 2010 at 6:39 Quote
bRaDzAsS wrote:
Hi all, only two weeks till I get to Whistler, a friend there told me bikes and parts etc are all going cheap at the end of summer.

Would it be a wise move to buy a bike at the end of this season, store it all winter and use it for 2011? Or just buy a new one at the beginning of next season?

Cheers.

after seeing what they get put through you'll deffinately stay clear of getting one. Smile

O+
Posted: Sep 15, 2010 at 10:09 Quote
You probably are better off getting something used from here, rather than an ex-rental. There are some though that don't get used all that much, and if you're willing to do a little work, can be pretty cheap. Evolution sells Demo's, BikeCo. sell Giant, and neither of them get much real use. They are still used though, so may need some work.

Posted: Feb 25, 2013 at 5:40 Quote
hello,

We are hoping to move to whistler (with an IEC visa) we are interested in the summer season the most so was thinking to get there for 2014 summer. However if we want to rent somewhere and get jobs (possibly bike mechanic)?

When is the best time to go over and get a job,we were hoping 1st may but I wonder if this too late? we don't want to be there too long before we can start using the bike park and earning but don't want to miss the jobs and accommodation?

Any advise on accommodation and jobs in whistler would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

N

FL
Posted: Feb 25, 2013 at 18:07 Quote
That's a pretty good time dude, maybe a week or so later.

I wouldn't get your hopes up on being a mechanic, there really isn't much of that sort of thing going. My buddy was a bike shop manager in the uk and had loads of experience as a mechanic and couldn't get anything. best thing to do is just accept it and do something to get you by. If you do want to be a mechanic though I'd apply now for the coming summer, or in dec/next jan for summer 2014.

Loads of accommodation going in the summer, the place is much emptier than at the moment. try craigslist, alluradirect or the pique magazine website for that.

May as well keep going with this,....

from the UK, STA Travel do awesome insurance and make sure you do the medical excess waiver

Canadianaffair.com has the best flight details.

apply for Whistler Blackcomb jobs early, solid job and a free lift pass worth $550. other jobs are on craigslist, walking round town with CVs works quite well here too.

Bring spares, especially brake pads, tyres if you can, and rims.

pacificoach is the easiest way to get directly from the airport to whistler

...think thats it really....if you've not been before, you won't regret it, best decision I ever made, and I'm intending to stay for good now! There's still visas left for this year so you could still easily do it this year!

Posted: Feb 26, 2013 at 10:03 Quote
Thanks that is all really usefull!!! I think we might try working till next year so we only have to get part time jobs and can ride the rest of the time!!!

Whats the best way to find accommodation and where is good to live?

Also where did you live while searching?

thank you again

FL
Posted: Feb 27, 2013 at 20:16 Quote
for accommodation-

http://whistler.en.craigslist.ca/, theres options for rooms or complete houses.
http://www.alluradirect.com/whistler/
http://classifieds.piquenewsmagazine.com/whistler/long-term-accommodation/search

Brio, anywhere in the middle of the village, white gold, spruce grove, cay, cay heights, nesters, blueberry are all good, anywhere further out is a bit far to be honest.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.585076
Mobile Version of Website